Decorating & Renovating

If you accidentally open someone else's mail...

And it looks kind of important...what are you supposed to do? Normally I notice that it's addressed to someone who doesn't live here anymore and I just write on the envelope "no longer lives here, return to sender", but yesterday I got some letter from a law firm and like an idiot just opened it without even looking at the address. I assumed it was something for DH's workers' comp and it was the company's law firm or something.

It's totally for one of the previous owners (it's a collection notice) and now I'm wondering what I should do. I don't want to get into trouble for opening it but I know it was just a mistake...should I send it back? Call the law firm? Throw it away? Am I overthinking this?

Re: If you accidentally open someone else's mail...

• Tape the envelope, write "return to sender" and be done with it.
  • image leafbride:
    Tape the envelope, write "return to sender" and be done with it.

Yes.

• I tore the side/end of the envelope off, I didn't open it with the back flap.
  • I do that more often than I should since I don't scrutinize the mail before I open it and one of the previous owners (maybe the daughter) didn't get her mail forwarded. If I accidentally open I totally just toss it. lol
    On Our Way To 3 Under 3

Our Home

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would just tape what you can and put return to sender on the front. My mom was a mail carrier and has told me it's their responsibility to get that stuff taken care of.

We randomly get mail from people that haven't lived here for 2 years and I finally had to call the post master to complain because clearly our carrier wasn't paying attention. I mean this in no offense to any mail carriers, but it's what my mom told me to do since she does work at the post office.

• Tangent: One time our mail carrier delivered one of our bank statements to someone else. Rather than returning the mail to us, whoever it was sent us a very creepy handwritten note saying they knew all about our finances and listed checks, amounts, deposits, etc. It really freaked me out! That's what finally forced me to discontinue paper statements.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. I'd just tape it back together and write "return to sender" and throw it in a mail box.

Pregnancy Ticker
    My domestic adventures blog.
  • image LindsayPDX:

Tangent: One time our mail carrier delivered one of our bank statements to someone else. Rather than returning the mail to us, whoever it was sent us a very creepy handwritten note saying they knew all about our finances and listed checks, amounts, deposits, etc. It really freaked me out! That's what finally forced me to discontinue paper statements.

OMG!!!! That is way creepy....I can't believe somebody would do that!!

• we get mail for other ppl way too often! i've probably opened 3 things in the last few years that i didn't notice weren't for us. I just use packaging tape and tape the top shut again and then circle the address and write "delivered to wrong address" and put it back in the mail. nobody will know where it even went the first time, i think.
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • I'd tape up what you can, but if it's unsalvageable, I'd call the law firm and they could just send out another one.