Caribbean Nesties

Naked child pictures

Can someone please explain to me why parents feel the need to take naked pictures of their children and share them?

An acquaintance just e-mailed me a link to an on-line album (which required me to sign in, at least) of ice skating and bathtub pictures of her children--including full frontals of her 1.5 year old son.

I don't even understand why parents take these pictures in the first place, but why on earth would anyone share them--via the internet no less?  What's the point?  Who do they think is going to want to see them?  Even if they want to share them with the grandparents for some silly reason, why put the out there, where some perverted creep might come across them and use them for jack-off fodder?

Re: Naked child pictures

• yuck, I don't like them.  The only time I think it's okay is a newborn pic where they're all curled up still and there isn't any genatalia all up in your face.

I also solomnly swear not to take pics of my children pooping on the 'big boy toliet'.  for pete's sake, that's great, but do you need a PICTURE of it?

• Hm, we have some very cute streaking in action/buns photos of Matt but no one besides us (or maybe I have incidentally shown them to immediate family) has seen them. They aren't something I would share and would never in a million years put them online, but I love those pitchers.
    image Guess who?
  • I think putting them online is irresponsible. The internet is not secure and putting anything on there of that content opens it up to pederasses.
  • Buns seem different than peen to me, maybe because of Coppertone ads or the fact that movies and tv routinely show ass but not penis.  In any case, I think even small kids have the right to privacy about their genetalia.
  • I can understand taking the pictures (kids do cute things in the tub or running around naked) but I would never ever share them, especially on-line.

That being said, PW has an adorable photo on her blog of one of her sons running naked down their front walk wearing cowboy boots and carrying a flower (the photo is from the back).

• Naked babies are cute.  I'm sure I'll have pictures of baby's first bath and stuff.  I wouldn't put the online, though.  No way.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I'm under Fallin's cabana.  Butt seems waaaaay more innocent that sexual organs.

and I might want to capture my baby's bottom so that I can look back and remember, but I wouldn't show them around to friends or post them anywhere public.

• We have one from when he was being bathed a the hospital. He was covered and by the time Joe took the picture Ben had kicked the towel off so we got a full on peen shot. This picture will never be shown to anyone (I don't even think it will go in his baby book). Cute butt shots as they are streaking away would be adorable though (not for the interwebz).
  • At what age does it go from acceptable cuteness to wrong?  This kid is one and a half.  I think that's getting awfully close to the line.

Also, it's not like he was doing anything especially cute in the picture--just standing there with his arms up.

• TSDTSD member
    Well, we've taken pics of E in the bath because he looks cute all soapy.  But, I've actually never even printed any out and I certainly never sent them to anyone.  And we try to avoid the peen shots...but he's fast and he tries to stand. Good thing he's chubby and his belly disguises most of his junk.
  • I prefer babies clothed.  My friends (including Fitty!) have sent me pictures of their kids naked before -- I don't think too much of it when they're babies, but my more hippie-ish friend has also shared a photo of her 3 year with no clothes on.  That's too old by my standards.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I honestly don't think sharing pictures of a child's frontal genetalia is ok at any age. It's private.

• I was thinking this exact thing last night after seeing pics of my friends newborn boy that he just posted naked and spread eagle.  It was definitely more than needed to be shared.
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • Which picture did I send? The tub one of his bunsies? Eep! I love that one.
    image Guess who?
  • I have pictures of my son in the sink taking a bath, it's cute and you can't see any peen.  I also have one that may be a little weird of me, in a bathing suit, in the tub with him, though again you can't see his peen.  I would never put them online.
  • Yes!  Nom in the tub.  It's a good picture that just happens to have pork and beans in it.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I saw a full frontal one on FB and someone commented something along the lines of "awwww hung big like his daddy" LANIE FACE
  • Hmmmm...I think newborn pictures, even with full frontal, bother me less since you are capturing the birth and immediately thereafter and the baby is naturally naked.  I get those, even though I wouldn't post those online.  I might share them with family and friends.  I can't think of a reason that you'd need other totally naked shots of genetalia.  I mean, keep shooting until you get some cute shots sans peen or crop them. 
  • image Jen&Joe06:
    I saw a full frontal one on FB and someone commented something along the lines of "awwww hung big like his daddy" LANIE FACE

that is just gross.  I will have a hard time not slapping a biitch who sexualizes my future babeh.  hear that CM?  you'd better be on your guard.

• Can you see his privates in that one cali? Must be just barely or you have to look, because he's flipped over in that one. I need to go find that one, if only to ponder the days that he would actually fit in a tiny tub sitting on the bathroom counter. Now he just climbs into the tub all by himself. All growed up.
    image Guess who?
  • image Jen&Joe06:
    I saw a full frontal one on FB and someone commented something along the lines of "awwww hung big like his daddy" LANIE FACE

Holy crap, are you serious?  One, why the HELL is that on FB? And two, wtf is wrong with whoever posted that?  Gross.

Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image FallinAgain:
    Hmmmm...I think newborn pictures, even with full frontal, bother me less since you are capturing the birth and immediately thereafter and the baby is naturally naked.  I get those, even though I wouldn't post those online.  I might share them with family and friends.  I can't think of a reason that you'd need other totally naked shots of genetalia.  I mean, keep shooting until you get some cute shots sans peen or crop them. 

I agree that these would be fine to share not online with family or friends but I thought she was asking about online specifically. I think genetalia photos related to birth/right after birth are ok. I think once you are at home, you need non-genetalia photos to share.

• I wouldn't share naked photos of Josephine with anyone. Even her very newborn naked photos (right after birth and first bath) we used cloths to cover her. I don't really take any now at all now that she's nearly 2. I certainly took bath photos and photos of her naked wearing only socks and shoes running down the hall (but shot)

But I agree that her genitals are not to be photographed, never mind shared.

Oh except I will be busting out the butt shot of her running down the hall in nothing but mary janes at her wedding. WEE!

image Josephine is 4.
  • I can understand hospital newborn shots, and maybe a few others in the days immediately following.  And I might even be able to understand wanting to have a couple of your child sitting in the tub, nice and covered, but any other below-the-waist shots just start to eek me out.
  • image ftnups:
    Can you see his privates in that one cali? Must be just barely or you have to look, because he's flipped over in that one. I need to go find that one, if only to ponder the days that he would actually fit in a tiny tub sitting on the bathroom counter. Now he just climbs into the tub all by himself. All growed up.

I think you posted one on 2.0 where he wasn't flipped over.  I think you said you weren't posting here because he was nekkid. I remember thinking that it seemed fine to me.

• Well, see. Proof that you ladies are like family to me. :)
    image Guess who?
  • When Ian was a month or so old someone told me I should have a picture of him totally nude "just in case."  He has a pretty distinctive birthmark on his abdomen, so they were suggesting I might need it for identifying purposes.  I thought it was creepy, but I did it because I was still in the stage of thinking, "there are all these things I don't know about being a mother.   I didn't know you were supposed to keep a naked picture of your kid around just in case the police need it."

• So, is anyone else planning on calling CPS on fitty, or is it just me?
  • Apparently these people never watch Lifetime, you can go to jail for that stuff.
  • image EvilleLady:
    Apparently these people never watch Lifetime, you can go to jail for that stuff.

You can go to jail for sending naked pictures of your toddler to your firends?  Really?

The nerve!
    House | Blog