Money Matters

is property virgins fake?

I have heard from people before on this board that a lot of the HGTV shows (like house hunters, for example) are totally staged. Is property virgins fake, too?

I was watching it tonight with DH and it was a young woman who was looking in south jersey and works in philly. I grew up in south jersey and they were naming actual towns and the houses looked like it could be in that region. BUT THEN - sandra meets the buyer for lunch to prepare their offer, and the footage is of a restaurant in Boston (Jacob Wirth). The interior looks exactly like the one in Boston and they show Sandra exiting the restaurant - and its freaking Boston.

How annoying. At least make the cities right!

Unless I am wrong and there is also a Jacob Wirth in Philly with an identical facade to the one in Boston - which I doubt, its a pretty famous landmark in Boston as its one of the oldest restaurants (from 1868 or something).

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue

Re: is property virgins fake?

• That's hilarious! I'm kinda glad that show is fake. Sandra's such abitch to people on there. Or, she was when it was Canada-based. She seems a little nicer in the US episodes. I've seen her make more than one person cry with her "What did you expect at that price range?" Plus, she'd always show them houses that cost more than their preapproval.
  • Nope it's all staged.  People have even noticed that clocks in the restaurants haven't even changed during some scenes.

Although I think it's weird they went from S. Jersey to Boston, unless that is where she is currently living maybe?

• According to google there is only 1 Jacob Wirth's in Boston. And I've never heard or seen it here in Philly.
  • As far as I can tell from their website there is only one Jacob Wirth.

I hope that show is fake.  Sandra gives the worst advice ever to the buyers.  I hate her.

• OMG Sandra's math always kills me.  So you're approved for $200k and have $50k to put down, so that makes your budget $250k.  No Sandra, my budget is $200k with $50k down.
  • image SSM&JLM:

Nope it's all staged.  People have even noticed that clocks in the restaurants haven't even changed during some scenes.

Although I think it's weird they went from S. Jersey to Boston, unless that is where she is currently living maybe?

Nope, they said she was living with her parents in Jersey. It was just BIZARRE, considering that they showed her and Sandra at the houses and then her and Sandra at the Boston restaurant. And the houses looked more like South Jersey houses than Boston suburbs. 

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • That's really weird. I can follow people already buying the house but to film in multiple cities?
  • They're staged.

I used to live in the town where Dawson's Creek and a bunch of other shows and movies are/were filmed.  It's cool to see your high school on the screen, but it's also really annoying to see shots pieced together in certain ways that most people wouldn't pick up on.

• Good catch!

I've always debated whether it was staged or not. I assumed it was, but then I wasn't sure because sometimes they don't end up buying. I guess they throw one of those shows in every once in a while to make it look more real.

• image Catlawdy_____:

They're staged.

I used to live in the town where Dawson's Creek and a bunch of other shows and movies are/were filmed.  It's cool to see your high school on the screen, but it's also really annoying to see shots pieced together in certain ways that most people wouldn't pick up on.

Yep, Seattle's been a victim of this, too. One famously impossible scene is from Sleepless in Seattle: the characters get in a boat on Lake Union and land it on Alki Beach. Only people familiar with Seattle notice it, but it's super annoying to us.

• Nope, it is NOT fake. One of my DH's friends and his wife were on the show about 2 years ago. It was not staged at all.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • image SSM&JLM:
    OMG Sandra's math always kills me.  So you're approved for $200k and have $50k to put down, so that makes your budget $250k.  No Sandra, my budget is $200k with $50k down.

OMG I know.  Super Angry
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • image SSM&JLM:
    OMG Sandra's math always kills me.  So you're approved for $200k and have $50k to put down, so that makes your budget $250k.  No Sandra, my budget is $200k with $50k down.
    She does drive me nuts with that - what you are preapproved for does not equal what you can afford.

However, her math is better than the woman on Hidden Potential, who always seems to think that you can just apply whatever you don't use from your pre-approved amount toward renovations.

• so what if they cry?  some people need to be more realistic about their dreams, especially in HCOL areas.  We had a budget of $250K in the middle of the crazy inflation of prices - some of the places in our price range made me want to cry, but I knew we were going to have to compromise something to get a decent place.  TH's and condos were the most we could buy - such is life.

the math does drive me batty, though.

Her episode in Austin was helpful to me - I found a couple neighborhoods that I am interested that way.

• image sonicesosmart:
    image Catlawdy_____:

They're staged.

Yep, Seattle's been a victim of this, too. One famously impossible scene is from Sleepless in Seattle: the characters get in a boat on Lake Union and land it on Alki Beach. Only people familiar with Seattle notice it, but it's super annoying to us.

Or like in When Harry Met Sally and they're leaving the University of Chicago, but driving all the way down Lakeshore... 

dx: PCOS
    Clomid + Met = BFP#1 12/27/10, missed MC discovered 2/9/11, d&c 2/11/11, 10w3d
    Natural cycle (just Met) = BFP#2 6/3/11, Baby A arrived 2/16/12
    <a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/tlneff0108/?action=view
  • image stcroixbride:

so what if they cry?  some people need to be more realistic about their dreams, especially in HCOL areas.  We had a budget of $250K in the middle of the crazy inflation of prices - some of the places in our price range made me want to cry, but I knew we were going to have to compromise something to get a decent place.  TH's and condos were the most we could buy - such is life.

the math does drive me batty, though.

Her episode in Austin was helpful to me - I found a couple neighborhoods that I am interested that way.

I realize it's a fake tv show and all, but if a realtor (someone getting paid to help me) was a totalbitch to me, I would've fired her. HCOL or not. She wasn't saying it to be helpful or realistic; she was saying it in a condescending "you know nothing, stupid homebuyer!" kind of way. I haven't seen her act that way on the show in the US episodes, just the Toronto-area ones.

• I know a girl who was on What Not To Wear. They ran out of time to do her final reveal shots - you know the ones where they are posing and dancing around in the street showing off their new look? - so the crew just did it in her hometown instead of in NYC. I guess it's common to shoot parts of those shows in other locations for production reasons. The rest of the show was real - the set up, shopping, etc - but parts of the production were not.

I assume the same is with property virgins. They may have run out of time and sent a crew to do some of those conversation shots someplace else after the fact.

I refuse to watch that show myself - she's a biotch. I don't understand why anyone would want to work with her.