Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

**Photo Gals!** Weigh in on new SLR here!!

Let's pretend a favorite relative gave you a very generous gift... and you and your hubs have decided to blow it all on a fab SLR camera... what is the best stuff for the money out there?? And why or why not?

We are looking at the Nikon 5000DX in this package.. It's got a 18-55 lens and we'd also add the 55-220.

Also looking at the Nikon D90... it has a 18-105 lens and we'd add the 55-200 to it as well... just like we would the 5000. I can also get it with the 70-300 lens, but not so sure I need that.

But then, I got awed by the Canons today and are looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i with the similar to Nikon 18-55 lens and then adding the 55-250 lens. (this package, basically) 

Then there's the big baller, the Canon EOS 50D with perhaps (at least in my opinion) the most gorgeous lens ever on it. We probably would stick with the 28-135 lens for now and not get another unitl further down the road. It's really at the top of my price range, I'd be already borrowing from other funding sources to get into this one.

My intial, naive, in the store, impressions were that the Nikons were smaller, lighter, and seemed more dummy proof, but the Canons were sharper, smarter, slicker, and faster.... I do know that the Canons were set to quick mode, and the Nikon's weren't on auto or anything.. and they'd been abused as store models for a while. (Hell, I've been playing with them for months now!)

Just for the background, our intial want to get a great SLR camera is La Bebe's arrival in Feb. But also, my DH and I are techno geeks and both of us have reasonable photography backgrounds..(we know the basics and are quick learners)..  We've talked about getting an SLR for a few years, the bebe seems like a good enough reason to finally get something. We would like it to do video, which all 4 of these can, in varrying quality, but all passable. (HD video is cool, but I'm not so sure I need to shoot in 1080p, ya know??)

So ladies, what would you do?? What would you not do, how would you proceed?

Thanks!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: **Photo Gals!** Weigh in on new SLR here!!

• My 2 cents here:  first and most importantly, you should decide which one really felt better in your hands.  I know that you have been playing with them, but in my opinion, that's the deciding factor on which brand to go with.  They are both equally good- most people end up as Nikon people or Canon people.

That said, I am a Nikon person.  Honestly, the Nikons you are considering (aside from the video part, which I know nothing about) are pretty much identical.  The D90 is an older model.  So, I would say go with the better deal. 

And I wanted to weigh in on the lenses because that's on my mind these days.  I had the 18-135, and this Christmas upgraded to the 70-300.  Awesome lens, but for taking snapshots in the house, it's probably not the best idea. It is a monstrosity.  So much, in fact that I needed to spend another $300 on a bag just to tote it around because I couldn't find a smaller bag to fit it plus a different wide angle lens that I had.  I plan to use it for travel shooting, so it's what I wanted, but for some reason I wasn't quite prepared for how cumbersome it is.  Plus,  it's minimum focusing distance is 4.9 feet, so essentially you would have to be on the other side of the room when taking pics of the kid!

Oh, one more thing- I would HIGHLY recommend adding a Speedlight for kid pictures.  No more red eyes and I think it's absolutely a must-have.

• First of all, the 50D kit lens is kind of crappy and I wouldn't call it a beautiful lens. If you won't be able to buy other lenses when you get that caemra, don't get it. Also - to you, what is the difference between the T1 and the D90 and the 50D? If you can't tell the differences, get the less expensive one. For a person who just wants a nice camera to take photos, stick with the entry level models.
    Melissa Palomo
    Missin' my Gabe.
  • Get the camera you like best, screw the movie ability, get a Flip Mino for that. So much easier to share with people vie email and other hosting sites.
  • image PittieBoo:
    Get the camera you like best, screw the movie ability, get a Flip Mino for that. So much easier to share with people vie email and other hosting sites.

I have the 5DII and honestly I don't even know how to turn the movie part on. Stick out tongue

Melissa Palomo
    Missin' my Gabe.
  • image MelisaP:
    First of all, the 50D kit lens is kind of crappy and I wouldn't call it a beautiful lens. If you won't be able to buy other lenses when you get that caemra, don't get it. Also - to you, what is the difference between the T1 and the D90 and the 50D? If you can't tell the differences, get the less expensive one. For a person who just wants a nice camera to take photos, stick with the entry level models.

Tell me more?? I know it's not a professional lens or anything, it's obviously a lens for mere mortals, but I've read nothing but good things about the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, and even had a co-worker say he lives and dies by this lens, that's its hands down his goto every day lens. When I pressed him to say one bad thing about it, he did fess up that it's not quite wide enough close in sometimes, but that I could get a portait lens for cases like those.. which I get what he's saying with that. I liked this particular lens b/c of it seemed very verstitle AND still lightweight and manageable. I also liked the manual focus ring and found it highly useful when shooting in the busy parking lot of the store today. (auto focus kept trying to auto focus where I didn't want it). As for the camera it's self, it's the only one we're considering that uses the CF media. I have a personal techie bias against SD, so naturally like the speed and capacity of the CF media, although I'm assured a HD SD wouldn't even phase me. None of these cameras can process *that* fast where it would be an honest issue.

Personally, I like the interface on the Canons more than the Nikon, DH the flip... I don't like spending over 1k on a camera and only have one lens to show for it though. If we went the Nikon route, they are cheaper, we can get more toys, like an extra lens (which I probably won't use for over a year, but the DH would) and probably squeeze in a fancy flash to kill out the redeye like pp suggested and still come in under 1k. I like the Nikon D90 over the Nikon 5000Dx, because side by side, it feels slightly better in my hand. But there's a $150 price difference there, and is that worth it? Once I got used to the 5000, would I even care? Anyway, that's the big choice is as to what the differences mean to us. 

Sob... is that Canon 28-135 really crap??

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would totally recommend the Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Tamron 17-50 2.8 over the Canon lens. I didn't mean to sound harsh earlier, LOL, but it's just not got good reviews in a lot of pro circles, whereas I know many people that use the Tamrons and the cost is not much more!

Get a Tamron 28-75, a 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4 if you can afford it) and a body that you feel comfortable with. That's my rec, anyway. :)

Melissa Palomo
    Missin' my Gabe.
  • This is so interesting -- we're all coming at the question from different angles.  :)  

I am not a fancy lens photographer, I use one lens 80% of the time (50 mm, f1.4), and you can get it for $350, or a cheaper version (50 mm f1.8) for $100 or so.  I'd highly recommend it for babies, because it's best to photograph them with ambient/natural light.   That said, though, I don't think a good lens is the end all and be all.  We're pretty low-tech and our equipment doesn't cost a fortune, and we do very well.  

I VASTLY prefer Canon sensors to Nikon.  I shoot Fuji, which I prefer over everything else (obviously), but there's nothing in your range right now from Fuji.   The most expensive Nikons have some amazing low-light capability, but in an entry-level camera, that's not going to be a dealbreaker.   I would not judge a camera based on how it feels in your hand.  I say choose the right equipment based on features/benefits, then get used to how it feels. :)  

GL, hth a little! 

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!