Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My sister's keeper - book vs movie ending (spoilers)

I just finished reading the book "my sister's keeper" because it landed on my desk at work and I had just seen the movie on a plane. 

I'm curious to see how people felt about the book and movie having such different endings. I was actually okay with both of them (maybe leaning towards the movie but then I saw it first) and can understand the decisions the movie made when adapting the book to film. Usually though I think I'd be really upset. I am of the idea that a movie adaptation should at least honour the essence of the book even if it isn't word for word. This time it is pretty different.

If you've read the book and saw the movie I'm curious to know which ending did you like best and why?

Re: My sister's keeper - book vs movie ending (spoilers)

• I preferred the movie ending, and I read the book first.  I didn't like the book at all, so I'm glad they changed the ending. 
    image ?/25 my chart image
  • image SWOG31:
    I preferred the movie ending, and I read the book first.  I didn't like the book at all, so I'm glad they changed the ending. 

Pretty much this.

I wouldn't have seen the movie if I didn't know ahead of time that they changed the ending.  The end of the movie makes sense, but I thought the end of the book was just ridiculous.

• I read the book, then asked my mom how the movie ended.  I liked the fact that there was a massive twist in the book, but I was completely unprepared for her to die. 

I like and dislike both endings, and honestly can't say which I preferred.

• Both my mom and I liked the book better. It made you think and it stayed with us longer. There were lots of things that bugged me about the movie...
  • I liked the movie ending better - the book ending was so out of left field, and it felt like a cop-out to me. I hated it. I thought they did a pretty good job with the movie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prefered the movie ending and I read the book first.  The book ending made no sense to me and I just couldn't justify it really happening.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image luckii00:

I read the book, then asked my mom how the movie ended.  I liked the fact that there was a massive twist in the book, but I was completely unprepared for her to die. 

I like and dislike both endings, and honestly can't say which I preferred.

Ditto.  The ending of the book was shocking...it was my first Picoult book and I was expecting a "happy" ending.  I've since learned that her style is much more "real life"---not roses and butterflies.  However, I enjoyed the movie ending, too...being able to see what ELSE could happen.  It was almost like a "choose your own adventure" book having the two different endings.  I don't know what the "perfect" ending would be.

• What was the movie ending? I didn't see it yet and want to know. Thanks!