Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Caitlin

There was no need to DD. We really weren't that mean and DD's are frowned upon here. Now if you did it b/c of your SN name that's fine, come back when you start a new Nest account.

Re: Caitlin

• O definitely ppl have received way harsher responses.

• Yeah, I typed out a great response to her! Not mean at all! Dammit, I hate when I have a quality response and then the post gets dd'ed before the OP sees it!

And seriously, change your screen name and come back once you do. These women are amazing. Honest, but amazing.

Missed M/C 11/5/2010 @ 5 weeks, 3 days* D&C 12/3/2010 at 9 weeks, 3 days
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image styme46:

Yeah, I typed out a great response to her! Not mean at all! Dammit, I hate when I have a quality response and then the post gets dd'ed before the OP sees it!

And seriously, change your screen name and come back once you do. These women are amazing. Honest, but amazing.

Me, too.  I ignored my kid while she wanted me to read her a book so I could type out a response. It was a good one, too.  All that typing for nothing.   Please come back with a new SN. 

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/160yf86.jpg[/IMG]
  • image iluvmytxrgr:
    image styme46:

Yeah, I typed out a great response to her! Not mean at all! Dammit, I hate when I have a quality response and then the post gets dd'ed before the OP sees it!

Me, too.  I ignored my kid while she wanted me to read her a book so I could type out a response. It was a good one, too.  All that typing for nothing.   Please come back with a new SN. 

I did the same. I hope she does come back with a new SN.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image danamh83:

O definitely ppl have received way harsher responses.

And your comment about Guard being cake compared to AD was crap. 

Meh, I beg to differ. As someone who has been on all 3 sides(AD, Guard, and Spouse) I see pros and cons to both.

AD you're more used to the schedules, deployments, etc. Your surrounded by military spouses and families that understand and are helpful.

As a guardsman you get ripped out of your everyday life, school, job, what have you and disappear for a year.  People around you don't understand, less of a military community feel, etc.

I'm not saying either is easier or harder, I think they're pretty equal. 
  • image ladystout:
    image danamh83:

Meh, I beg to differ. As someone who has been on all 3 sides(AD, Guard, and Spouse) I see pros and cons to both.

AD you're more used to the schedules, deployments, etc. Your surrounded by military spouses and families that understand and are helpful.

As a guardsman you get ripped out of your everyday life, school, job, what have you and disappear for a year.  People around you don't understand, less of a military community feel, etc.

C'est la vie.

• image ladystout:
    image danamh83:

Excuse me?  She said what?

• hey guys! Trying to get a new SN now.. didn't delete because you were "mean" I need all the help i can get! Thanks! Be back soon!
  • image iluvmytxrgr:
    image ladystout:
    image danamh83:

OP's H is thinking of joined the Air National Guard. She's worried of him going to BCT.

Dana said Guard is cake compared to AD. 

I said why? I went to the same BCT as AD Soldiers.

She said she meant overall the lifestyle and as a spouse.

Then OP DD'd so I was just continuing.

• image ladystout:
    image iluvmytxrgr:
    image ladystout:
    image danamh83:

OP's H is thinking of joined the Air National Guard. She's worried of him going to BCT.

I said why? I went to the same BCT as AD Soldiers. Then OP DD'd so I was just continuing.

And I honestly didn't want to upset ppl.  I was just merely stating my opinon.  We won't always agree.

• hey guys! Trying to get a new SN now.. didn't delete because you were "mean" I need all the help i can get! Thanks! Be back soon!

Good to know.  The nest usually doesn't let you post for a few days so we'll see you then.

• image danamh83:

And I honestly didn't want to upset ppl.  I was just merely stating my opinon.  We won't always agree.

You're going to upset people when you say stuff like that, Dana. I think one of the great things about this board is that we don't draw comparisons of who has it rougher, whose job is harder, etc. Those kinds of statements trivialize other people's struggles, and it's something we should avoid. 

Do you and YH have guard vs. AD experience? If you do, then I think you could say, "For MH's MOS, guard was cake compared to going AD" or something. But to broadly generalize as you did is unfair, wrong, and like I said before, trivializing. 

• image ladystout:
    image iluvmytxrgr:
    image ladystout:
    image danamh83:

I said why? I went to the same BCT as AD Soldiers.

She said she meant overall the lifestyle and as a spouse.

Then OP DD'd so I was just continuing.

I'm not going to get into a debate over AD vs Reserve and NG.  However, I'll give you an example.  12 people in my unit were picked up to deploy with a different unit out of Tampa 18 months ago.  They were given 3 weeks notice before they went to MOB.  They were gone for just over a year.  They have been back for a few months.  My unit also deployed in that time frame and has just returned.  8 of the 12 and 6 others from my unit have just been picked up by a unit out of SC to deploy again.  Piece of cake, right?

• image danamh83:

image *******************:
    hey guys! Trying to get a new SN now.. didn't delete because you were "mean" I need all the help i can get! Thanks! Be back soon!

Good to know.  The nest usually doesn't let you post for a few days so we'll see you then.

Dana, it might help to edit her name/email out, since that's why she deleted in the first place. 

Caitlynn, I'd dd that post too. No reason to have your name/email out there. No one will get mad at you for protecting yourself. 

• image MellsBells:
    image danamh83:

You're going to upset people when you say stuff like that, Dana. I think one of the great things about this board is that we don't draw comparisons of who has it rougher, whose job is harder, etc. Those kinds of statements trivialize other people's struggles, and it's something we should avoid. 

Do you and YH have guard vs. AD experience? If you do, then I think you could say, "For MH's MOS, guard was cake compared to going AD" or something. But to broadly generalize as you did is unfair, wrong, and like I said before, trivializing. 

Well said.

• image BrittanyJ:
    image danamh83:

hey guys! Trying to get a new SN now.. didn't delete because you were "mean" I need all the help i can get! Thanks! Be back soon!

Dana, it might help to edit her name/email out, since that's why she deleted in the first place. 

Caitlynn, I'd dd that post too. No reason to have your name/email out there. No one will get mad at you for protecting yourself. 

Although I agree and that's a great call, umm....who are you?

• image BrittanyJ:
    image danamh83:

P.S. This is me. On my old predivorce Military Brides SN. I was trying to remember the pw last night and logged in. Not trying to troll, and it'd be kind of dumb with my real name anyway.

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Yes, I realized I upset ppl with my comment, for which I apologize.  Yes, me and MH have guard AND AD expierience, which is how I formed my opinon. 
  • image ladystout:

Although I agree and that's a great call, umm....who are you?

Just your friendly neighborhood Stanley. :D

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • image WishIcouldbeinthe'stan:
    image BrittanyJ:
    image danamh83:

P.S. This is me. On my old predivorce Military Brides SN. I was trying to remember the pw last night and logged in. Not trying to troll, and it'd be kind of dumb with my real name anyway.

haha, i was like WTH?

• image danamh83:
    Yes, I realized I upset ppl with my comment, for which I apologize.  Yes, me and MH have guard AND AD expierience, which is how I formed my opinon. 

So what you meant to say was that for YH's MOS, it was easier to be guard than AD ... and NOT that Guard as a whole is easier than AD as a whole. 

Also, that's a cop out apology. Apologizing for making people upset is different that apologizing for saying something inappropriate and incorrect.

• It's still a crappy thing to say in general, especially to someone who is thinking of enlisting(or her H).

It's just like my cousin telling me she wanted to join the AF b/c it's easier. Right kiddo, you're in for a rude awakening.

• image ladystout:
    image WishIcouldbeinthe'stan:

haha, i was like WTH?

There were some comments the other day from people who've been on a long while about 'how this board has changed' yadda yadda yadda, and it annoyed me, so I was trying to figure out how long my old SN had been active. I just forgot to log out. Oh, and fwiw, old vs. new,  I'll take new any day, and not just because my sn is cooler. 

• I can't take it back.  I effed up.  I should watch what I say in the future.  I made a poor error in judgement.  All of you that have responded know that I don't intentionally cause drama or upset ppl on here.

• image ladystout:

This. Exactly THIS.  Not to mention, all of the spouses are spread across the state, so it makes it more difficult to have an active FRG.   

Anniversary image
  • I didn't get to see the first post that was DD'ed. But I think I'm grasping what it was about by this new post. Where was I when it all went down anyway? Did it happen LATE last night? ;)
    image ~~~Jan 31st, 2010. Back together again.~~~