Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties

Almond Bark & Food Coloring

Almond Bark + Food Coloring = No 

I have a bag of pretzels in a bunch of different shapes.  I saw the food coloring in the cabinet and thought it would be cool to have green trees and red stockings.   Almond Bark & Food Coloring are not a good combination.   The nice melted bark became a big hard ball.   Thank goodness I was only using a couple squares.

I thought I would pass it along as I never knew you couldn't add food coloring. 

image image

Re: Almond Bark & Food Coloring

• You can use paste or powdered food coloring, just not the normal liquid stuff.

Sad your almond bark got ruined! Sad

• Oh!  I would have never thought about adding food coloring.  Your subject line got me intrigued, but apparently it's a no go :P
  • image ElizabethD:
    Oh!  I would have never thought about adding food coloring.  Your subject line got me intrigued, but apparently it's a no go :P

Ditto! 

Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • image LittleSweetie:

image ElizabethD:
    Oh!  I would have never thought about adding food coloring.  Your subject line got me intrigued, but apparently it's a no go :P

Ditto! 

Shooting star is right though, you can color the bark! just use the paste or powder, no oil or water based ones, it'll be beautiful!
  • image mrsdawnmarie:
    image LittleSweetie:

image ElizabethD:

Ditto! 

Shooting star is right though, you can color the bark! just use the paste or powder, no oil or water based ones, it'll be beautiful!

Yes, I did read the whole thread. 

Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • where do you get paste/powdered food coloring?
  • You can buy Wilton gel food coloring at Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics.  I've used the gel food coloring with both almond bark and white chocolate and it works great. 

Also, a note on "seizing" chocolate or the barks, if you have the patience it can be fixed.  Put the mass in a glass bowl over a pot of shallow simmering water and add some vegetable shortening.  The shortening will melt and will help the chocolate or bark to loosen up again and remelt correctly.  Just make sure you keep stirring and adding shortening until it's back to the right consistency.  I unfortunately had an incident last night with milk chocolate and found that with a lot of patience and quite a bit of Crisco I was able to get it back to it's original state. 

• image sarahmf13:

You can buy Wilton gel food coloring at Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics.  I've used the gel food coloring with both almond bark and white chocolate and it works great. 

Also, a note on "seizing" chocolate or the barks, if you have the patience it can be fixed.  Put the mass in a glass bowl over a pot of shallow simmering water and add some vegetable shortening.  The shortening will melt and will help the chocolate or bark to loosen up again and remelt correctly.  Just make sure you keep stirring and adding shortening until it's back to the right consistency.  I unfortunately had an incident last night with milk chocolate and found that with a lot of patience and quite a bit of Crisco I was able to get it back to it's original state. 

Thank you for the tip!  I have had a few batches of almond bark/melting chocolate seize up on me.  I will try this next time!  I hate to see it go to waste.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  NO ONE tell my kitchen that the regular food coloring and almond bark don't work together. Wink They played together just fine last year, and I don't want the almond bark seizing up this year when it hears the news that it's not behaving appropriately.
  • Thanks for the tip.   It was only a couple of squares.   DH and I ate some with the broken pretzels.  Smile
    image image
  • Yep - never mix even the smallest drop of water or water-based liquid with almond bark! One of those things I know but didn't realize until recently that most people don't!

Another option is candy melts. When I make may of my confections that's what I use. You can get them at Joann's or Michaels (Walmart has only white or brown color choices). They taste just like and act just like almond bark but are already colored. There is red, yellow, light blue, dark blue, orange, pink, black, dark brown, light brown etc.....SO many choices!!