Trouble in Paradise

Do any of you know a non-religious book like "The Love Dare"?

DH and I are just in search of a book or something that we can go to together and bring a little life back into our marriage, which seems to have gotten very quiet and routine...

A friend recommended the Love Dare book and we checked it out of the library, but it's TOO religious for our tastes. I like the premises, though... the idea of taking one day to focus on not saying negative things about each other, the next day making a point to praise them, etc. We did start it, and it was easy to feel that it was working...

Do you all have any recommendations or know of anything similar? Or maybe just suggestions on how to jump-start things? It's not a lack of passion or anything bedroom-related... it's just more of that we've become so comfortable with each other that things have gotten just very predictable. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Hardworking mom to 2 great kids: J 9/04 and L 11/10

Re: Do any of you know a non-religious book like "The Love Dare"?

• I understand your looking for a book.  I don't have any recommendations.

But what if you two made a list of 100 things you want to do together before...June 1 2010, or something.

And commit to doing those things.  They can be romantic, they can be adventurous, they can be thoughtful, they can even be philanthropic.  Things that will rekindle each other's interest in working together.

I think even couples who don't feel dull could benefit from a good list of goals.

GL.  

• I like "The Five Love Languages" (which is only mildly religious), but it's not really quite that kind of book.  I think the same author has a day by day sort of book, but I didn't get it since from the reviews it sounded like it was going to be very religious.  :-( 
  • image timmysgal1:

I understand your looking for a book.  I don't have any recommendations.

But what if you two made a list of 100 things you want to do together before...June 1 2010, or something.

And commit to doing those things.  They can be romantic, they can be adventurous, they can be thoughtful, they can even be philanthropic.  Things that will rekindle each other's interest in working together.

I think even couples who don't feel dull could benefit from a good list of goals.

GL.  

Good point. I think that may be one of our issues. We had quite a few goals set for the last few years and we've met them all... and I do think that has contributed to the "lull" and has made me start wondering what direction we will aim for now.

Thanks!

Hardworking mom to 2 great kids: J 9/04 and L 11/10

• I second the "Five Love Languages" - I didn't think it was over the top religious or anything.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any books like this that don't have some kind of religious connection, but you could read them and get a lot from them anyhow and just kind of skim over (or skip, entirely) the religious aspect.

If you can get the "take home message" from these books, that's the important part. But anyhow, I'd still urge you to read the Love Languages. You might be surprised to find that how you expect your hubby to show you love is probably completely different that how he expects you to show him love. If you guys can start meeting that need in eachother, you'll find it's easier to get that ol' spark going. GL!