Hawaii Nesties

FMLA: 12 or 16 weeks?

Since I don't want the topic to get lost in the shuffle...I always thought FMLA gives you 12 weeks leave.  The US Dept of Labor website says 12 weeks:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm

I can't find anywhere that says it's 16 weeks.  Anyone know?  Or is DC really just special and allows 16 weeks?

Re: FMLA: 12 or 16 weeks?

• I don't know the context, but all employer's can make their own regulations, as long as they don't allow you to take less than FMLA allows. FMLA is 12 weeks, but I work for a County government and our regulations give us up to 17 weeks family leave (all unpaid) in a two year period (more if there is a medical issue). I'm in the DC area, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I would say most private employers wouldn't electively allow people to take more leave than they are required to by law.
  • 12 weeks is federal law. 

I'm not sure how DC works, but I know NJ has some extra time for maternity leave, maybe FMLA too. 

• 12 weeks.  Your state may have family leave that does not run concurrent with FMLA.  For instance CA has paid family leave that you can tack on to the end of your FMLA for another 6 weeks, although your job is not protected as it is with FMLA.
  • Ack, so sorry. I got mixed up earlier with the Pregnancy Disability Leave (in CA), which is 16 weeks. You're right, FMLA is only 12. So DC has its own 16: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/fmla/dc.htm

So sorry again for my mix-up!

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • It's okay...I thought maybe there was something new that I missed.  It's just too bad I live in a state that doesn't offer anything extra!  Sucks for me.
  • I can tell you all about DC law....

Up to 16 weeks MEDICAL leave, then another 16 weeks of FAMILY leave.

Since I had a c-section, I qualified for 8 weeks of MEDICAL leave. When that ended, I then qualified for ANOTHER 16 weeks of Family leave.

Total job-protected time off, under DC law, for me is 24 weeks (almost 6 months).

My last day was Aug. 28. I used a week of vacation when Alexa was late. She finally came on Sept. 9 and my disability started. My medical leave ended Nov. 3 and my family leave started Nov. 4. I have until Feb. 23, so I will be returning to work on Feb. 24.

The leave is not paid... Only the disability part... But it's job-protected.

Federal FMLA is only 12 weeks. You only get the DC stuff if you work in DC. HTH! Sorry... My HR did not know about the extra 16 weeks and almost screwed me out of it but my Aetna case manager caught it.  

Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We don't even qualify for FMLA because we have less than 50 employees.  Crying

Ergo, I am using all of my accrued time including comp time and I do get two weeks Long Term Medical Leave which is provided by the company once you use 10 days of your own leave for a medical issue.

Typically, it is 12 weeks leave without pay but with job protection.

• image myday1708:

I can tell you all about DC law....

Up to 16 weeks MEDICAL leave, then another 16 weeks of FAMILY leave.

Since I had a c-section, I qualified for 8 weeks of MEDICAL leave. When that ended, I then qualified for ANOTHER 16 weeks of Family leave.

Total job-protected time off, under DC law, for me is 24 weeks (almost 6 months).

My last day was Aug. 28. I used a week of vacation when Alexa was late. She finally came on Sept. 9 and my disability started. My medical leave ended Nov. 3 and my family leave started Nov. 4. I have until Feb. 23, so I will be returning to work on Feb. 24.

The leave is not paid... Only the disability part... But it's job-protected.

Federal FMLA is only 12 weeks. You only get the DC stuff if you work in DC. HTH! Sorry... My HR did not know about the extra 16 weeks and almost screwed me out of it but my Aetna case manager caught it.  

Great info! You rock! lol. All of these is alien to me. I know we get 12 weeks of paid maternity leave at work. I gotta find out how i can get 16 weeks off when the time comes Yes.

• I just wish I could get more time off and keep my health insurance.  Is that too much to ask?!?!?!  Grrr. 

Why are we so behind the rest of the world in terms of maternity leave?  I just don't get it.