Sex & Romance

How long did you wait to have sex after getting an IUD

Long title :)

I just had an IUD put in yesterday and I am wondering how long you waited to have sex after it was inserted. My gyno mentioned that I might wait to wait to have unprotected sex until my first period and that I should use condoms until then. He said something about the first month being the most likely time when you can get an infection since the uterine wall is just starting to get used to the IUD and it might be irritated.

Re: How long did you wait to have sex after getting an IUD

• My doc said I could as soon as I felt comfortable doing it.  He also said that not only is it effective immediately, but that it would likely keep a fertilized egg from implanting--basically making it retroactive BC. 
    In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • I knew it was effective immediately, which is pretty sweet. I guess I am just worried about infection that my doc mentioned.  I am so damn crampy right now though I cannot even fathom getting busy.
  • My mid-wife said, "Nothing in the vagina for 3 days". That made me laugh, because she didn't say no sex.

• image shagadelk7:
    I knew it was effective immediately, which is pretty sweet. I guess I am just worried about infection that my doc mentioned.  I am so damn crampy right now though I cannot even fathom getting busy.

Yeah, I didn't feel like it for a while, either.  I don't know if you got Paragard or Mirena (and I don't know if it makes any difference), but I cramped intermittently pretty much the entire first month.  Spotted for many days, too.  I got Paragard, so my periods are outrageous now, too.  Still totally worth it, but MUCH heavier.

My doctor indicated that the risk of infection comes entirely from the insertion procedure, not from anything you'd do afterward.

In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • I have Mirena. Half the reason why I got it was to make my periods less, so paraguard was out of the question.

My doc said that if the IUD causes irritation that sperm or any other germ/bacteria gets up there the chances of infection are higher. I guess I just rather be safe than sorry.

I REALLY REALLY hope these cramps don't last the entire month. I get horrific cramps with my period and these are almost as bad. I am spotting a tiny bit, but not anything that I didn't expect.

• image zelda25:

image shagadelk7:
    I knew it was effective immediately, which is pretty sweet. I guess I am just worried about infection that my doc mentioned.  I am so damn crampy right now though I cannot even fathom getting busy.

Yeah, I didn't feel like it for a while, either.  I don't know if you got Paragard or Mirena (and I don't know if it makes any difference), but I cramped intermittently pretty much the entire first month.  Spotted for many days, too.  I got Paragard, so my periods are outrageous now, too.  Still totally worth it, but MUCH heavier.

My doctor indicated that the risk of infection comes entirely from the insertion procedure, not from anything you'd do afterward.

This. And if I was to get anything from having sex with my DH wouldn't I already have those bugs living down there? I mean I had had sex with him for years before getting the IUD.

Anyway, as far as your question my doctor never gave me any restrictions. I did wait about a week but that was mainly because at first I had some cramps and then AF.

• Doc said to wait until i felt comfortable and since I never had a child before she told me to expect pain.  I waited about a month and a half.  The insertion was terrible and cribbling for me.  The doctor made me wait an hour after since I turned so white she was afraid I pass out.  For me anyway it took a few month for it to wear off.  For a few months it did suck. 
  • image shagadelk7:

I have Mirena. Half the reason why I got it was to make my periods less, so paraguard was out of the question.

My doc said that if the IUD causes irritation that sperm or any other germ/bacteria gets up there the chances of infection are higher. I guess I just rather be safe than sorry.

I REALLY REALLY hope these cramps don't last the entire month. I get horrific cramps with my period and these are almost as bad. I am spotting a tiny bit, but not anything that I didn't expect.

I lived on Aleve the first month  Stick out tongue

I was all cocky the day of insertion because my doc gave me a local anesthetic so insertion was no big deal, and I felt totally fine all day.  That was because I'd taken four Aleve before the insertion...when that wore, off, I got the death cramps, lol.

• Most horrible pain in my life during insertions! But only cramping for the day of and a day after. And only one period since then, it's been about 7 months. I love it :) Oh and my doctor just said to do it when I was comfortable. That was like a week after insertion.
  • I was only crampy for a few days and I haven't had any children.  I got in Feb. and I had not had a period for two months until a few days ago       : ( But my periods are much lighter now.   I don't recall my dr saying anything about sex...but I agree with the other girls.  Do it when you feel comfortable.

• I took a percoset before insertion at 2 yesterday afternoon. I took 3 aleve at around 6pm and then 3 tylenol pms at like 11 last night because I couldn't sleep. I didn't OD which was nice. I was fine today until about 3pm then I started dying. Took 3 more aleve and now I am fine again.
  • The night I had it inserted.
    Our Website

Kristi and Kerry June 21,2008

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • When I got mine I didn't need to wait at all.  All I needed to do was double up on protection(I still took my BCP) for 3 days and that was it.
  • image riderpunk:
    Doc said to wait until i felt comfortable and since I never had a child before she told me to expect pain.  I waited about a month and a half.  The insertion was terrible and cribbling for me.  The doctor made me wait an hour after since I turned so white she was afraid I pass out.  For me anyway it took a few month for it to wear off.  For a few months it did suck. 

What?? A month and a half? That's a long time.

• image calle28:

I laugh about a month and a half being a long time, cause there have been times I been without sex longer, for us it was no big deal.  For me the pain was mind boggling- I didn't want to be touched! DH didn't even ask for sex, he knew better. But I have had my pelvis broken in several spots over the last few years (which when you break your pelvis you have to wait a while to have sex), so this didn't help the cramping and pain in that area. I didn't even want to think about sex. For me Mirena was terrible, I think while I had Mirena I had sex total of 6 times for the year I had it in, after a year I had it removed.But that is just my experience
  • image riderpunk:
    image calle28:

I laugh about a month and a half being a long time, cause there have been times I been without sex longer, for us it was no big deal.  For me the pain was mind boggling- I didn't want to be touched! DH didn't even ask for sex, he knew better. But I have had my pelvis broken in several spots over the last few years (which when you break your pelvis you have to wait a while to have sex), so this didn't help the cramping and pain in that area. I didn't even want to think about sex. For me Mirena was terrible, I think while I had Mirena I had sex total of 6 times for the year I had it in, after a year I had it removed.But that is just my experience

How the hell did you break your pelvis a couple of times. That seems PAINFUL!!

• My doctor told me I could when I felt up to it, there wasn't a time restriction to wait out.  I don't remember her mentioning anything about using an alternate form of BC either...hmmm...maybe we got lucky there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • image sydlc88:
    My doctor told me I could when I felt up to it, there wasn't a time restriction to wait out.  I don't remember her mentioning anything about using an alternate form of BC either...hmmm...maybe we got lucky there.

No back up needed. In fact the IUD is kind of retroactive (if you had sex a few days before and the egg got fertilized inserting an IUD would prevent it from implanting)

• I waited  5 days? I think and used protection because I was still afraid of getting pregnant.  I had local anesthetic too, but I fainted after from the cramping and anxiety.  I couldnt work after due to cramping and horrible pain, but next few days was fine with advil.

Periods for me are super light but last 7 days, just need small tampon and change it once a day.  I could wear a pad, but I hate them.  I am pretty abnormal I always have super insane heavy periods, so this is great, but the hormones are causing major problems now after my thyroid getting messed up.

• To answer my own question, I had sex last night thanks to the advice from you ladies. It felt fine, minus my husband getting poked by one of the strings. I'll have to have my gyno cut the strings shorter when I go in for my follow up.