Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

2 questions, one for moms and one for everyone

1. My best friend has a 6 month old. What can I get the baby that's about $20 that isn't clothes? Anything in particular that she would find useful?

2. I need some suggestions for finger food for a Christmas party. Anybody? I prefer quick and simple but I have time to cook if I need to.

Thanks! Hope everyone had a great weekend...we finally have internet at home so I can actually rejoin the nest world. :)

Baby Merlin! image Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2 questions, one for moms and one for everyone

• 1. You can still find educational toys for children that young. I got my nephew this bongo drum toy that plays the alphabet and sings songs in English and Spanish when he hits on the drum. You could also get books.

2. I love Bacon Cream Cheese Crescents. I'm pretty sure I sent them into the Cookbook. They are ridiculously easy to make and tasty.

• 1. Agree with PP. Lakeshore Learning on Joppa road has a TON of stuff for children of all ages. 2. Costco and Sam's usually has a lot of nice spreads around the holiday. I would check them out!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 6 months my youngest just really started getting into toys. She loves her  Leap Frog Tad. It lights up and plays music. I dont know if they are still around but Leap Frog and Baby Einsteins has a lot of cute things for around $20.
  • image MrsMerlin:

1. My best friend has a 6 month old. What can I get the baby that's about $20 that isn't clothes? Anything in particular that she would find useful?

Mia has the drum that Gracie mentioned and she's played with it pretty faithfully for two years now.  There are also maracas and a caterpillar put out by Leap Frog (who makes the drum) that all do colors/numbers/alphabet or some combo thereof.  All of them got lots of play time in our house, and still do.  

Wooden puzzles with animals/numbers/letters/shapes were a big hit as well.  My Mom got a set of five of them that came with a rack to hold them all - it may have been more than $20, but it was at Target and I'm sure they have others.  Six months is a little young for puzzles, but an early start can't hurt.

Books are always a huge hit, too.  Board books for that age, or cloth.  Mia's favorites are/were the Karen Katz lift-the-flap books, Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, and Little People lift-the-flap books.  The flaps will get destroyed eventually, but the baby will get some use out of 'em first.

image MrsMerlin:

2. I need some suggestions for finger food for a Christmas party. Anybody? I prefer quick and simple but I have time to cook if I need to.

Pigs in a blanket, mini quiche, sausage balls, meatballs in the crockpot (with toothpicks on the side to pick them up), tortilla roll-ups, crescents rolls with a variety of fillings, empanadas, phyllo cups with assorted fillings.

• I am not a mom, but I always do books for kids. They can never have enough books, and they can get expensive. This time of the year, you can get awesome sets just about anywhere-Costco, B+N, etc. A cute stuffed animal that goes with the book. Fun stuff!
  • Thanks, ladies! I think I'll look for a book or musical toy. My best friend was a band director so I'm sure any noise/musical toy will be appreciated. :) And now I have some ideas for finger food...I've just been drawing a big blank.
    Baby Merlin! image Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 6 months is a little young for this- but it's a great investment and something that the child could grow into...

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Discovery-Kids-2-piece-Adventure-Play-Tent/4237244/product.html?IID=prod4237244&sec_iid=38808

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image mommyaug06:
    At 6 months my youngest just really started getting into toys. She loves her  Leap Frog Tad. It lights up and plays music. I dont know if they are still around but Leap Frog and Baby Einsteins has a lot of cute things for around $20.

I would check out TRU. I was just there on Saturday night and they have a huge selection on infant toys (actually you can just go to Target too). Or I would suggest educational books. 

image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Emerson loves book, especially lift-the-flap books. I think she can never have enough books.

I would check out Target and TRU - Target reduces a lot of toys for under $20. The Leapfrog and Baby Einstein toys are great. I got Emerson a "laptop" at Target for $14 and she LOVES it.

Target also has wooden puzzles for pretty cheap now - I got E a couple for $5 each to give her at Christmas.

Oh, what about a Little People set? They're making the people bigger now so there isn't a choking hazard. E loves the old Little People that my brother and I used to play with. The actual people are pretty small, so we're giving her the accessories to play with. I bought her a new farm-themed Little People for Christmas. I think it was $15 or $20 at WalMart.