Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

my neighbor's house caught on fire

Saturday night I was exhausted and still sick so I went to bed around 9:30. Around 10:30, I was awakened by the baby crying. I went into him room, popped his pacifier in his mouth and shushed him for a moment, and could hear loud trucks idling outside and people talking on radios. I was like "WTF? Who is out here with work trucks at 10:30 on a saturday night". I was ready to go outside and tell someone to STFU....

Until I go look out my kitchen window and see three firetrucks outside our house. Our neighbor's townhouse, who is kind of diagonal from us, had smoke POURING out all 3 upstairs windows. They had the ladder truck and were hosing it down from the front and the back. Smoke was coming out of the upstairs window at the house next to it also. We just stood there at our kitchen window with our mouths hanging open and speechless. We heard a loud noise and realized they were cutting a hole in their roof. After they did this, flames were shooting 15-20 feet into the air.

It looks like pretty much a total loss. When we saw it the next morning, there was basically no roof left, just random support beams showing in the upstairs, and the entire front of the house is blackened. They boarded up all windows and doors and have a big tarp covering the roof. It was so scary. It just made me think it could have been us and I don't know what I would do. How horrible to lose your home, and even more awful for it to happen this time of year.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: my neighbor's house caught on fire

• Oh wow, that is so scary. Do you know if anyone was home and if they are ok?
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry to hear this. Do you know if they have family near by? I really hope they have a place to go for the Holidays. Pleas let us know if your neighborhood is going to take up some kind of collection for them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers My bio Last Updated: 12/1/09 http://tinyurl.com/7zz6z7u
  • yeah, I am almost certain that no one was hurt. I want to talk to my one neighbor across the street because she always knows everything going on, and I will give any updates if there are collections, etc for them.
  • That's so scary! That was always my biggest fear living in an apartment that someone's apartment would catch on fire while we weren't home and Gracie would be trapped. Glad to hear everyone is okay!
  • Ugh that is so sad and scary! Our neighbors house caught on fire last Monday night and it's also a total loss, it still smelled on Saturday when the wind picked up since so much was burnt. The woman has caught her house on fire three, yes three, times this year because she smokes in bed and falls asleep. This was by far the worst and I hate being angry at someone who lost their house but she very well could have burned down both houses next to her by being so neglegent, don't you stop smoking in bed when you catch the house on fire the first two times?

Anyways, sorry for that rant, I hope your neighbors have somewhere to stay and can get their house fixed soon :(

• OMG!!! So scary, glad to hear eveyone is okay.
    Tyler in Aruba October 2011 image
  • http://www.wbaltv.com/news/21752657/detail.html

I found a story about it. this probably wont work, i can never make links clicky.

• That is so scary!  I hope they are all right.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • Your link did work and it says no one was hurt, so that's great news.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image gracie2762:
    That's so scary! That was always my biggest fear living in an apartment that someone's apartment would catch on fire while we weren't home and Gracie would be trapped. Glad to hear everyone is okay!

This is my biggest fear as well!!! Our condos are full of older people and not to stereotype, but I'm so afraid something will happen during the day when they are home and I'm not. 

Visit The Nest!
  • Scary! I hope everyone is okay and they have somewhere to go. That's really awful.
  • Oh wow, that gave me chills. How sad. Is everyone okay?
    image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image jcsntms06:
    Oh wow, that gave me chills. How sad. Is everyone okay?

yeah, as far as i know everyone is fine. i hope they have somewhere to stay-I didn't really know them, only said hi to them a few times in passing.

• ILs' home burned down about 10 years ago, before I knew DH. It was absolutely terrible - the entire house had to be remodeled, almost everything had to be replaced, electronics melted, fabrics like curtains, etc. had to be cleaned multiple times...what didn't burn was so soaked with water and smoke and stuff that it took them forever to clean up.

It was struck by lightning...MIL was the only one home, ran outside w/their dog and knocked on neighbors' doors but no one woke up or heard her yelling. Finally she wrapped her hand with her shirt and punched through the glass in a neighbor's door, went inside, and called 911 and woke the neighbors.