Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Song: This is a long shot...

I was eating lunch the other day and this song came on at the restaurant. It was an early 90s alt-rock/grunge type song, and I'm pretty sure the lyrics said something like "hail mary". (There is a chance this is wrong though).

The song was fairly popular back in the day, so when I heard it it brought back some memories. But, for the life of me I cannot think of the name, nor can I think of any other lyrics to help me find the song on google.

Does anyone have any idea?? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks.

Re: Song: This is a long shot...

• Hmm, the only 90s song with "Mary" in the title/chorus that I can think of is "Have You Seen Mary" by Sponge. I freaking loved Sponge.
    [url="http://ellysaysopa.com"]my food blog[/url]
  • Nope, that's not it, but thanks for looking into it for me.
  • It's not "All Apologies" by Nirvana, is it?  It has the line, "married...buried," in it, which I always thought was "Mary...Mary."

It also had the more recognizable section that went: "All in all is all we are." 

Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Nope that wasn't it either.  But funny, I always thought it was Mary..Mary too. : )
  • Seven Mary Three by chance? Just a guess...

Also, if you know any of the lyrics, you can search them on:

http://lyrics.astraweb.com

• Nope not them either. Although they are a great 90s band.

I've been googling for a while, I can't find anything, I must have the lyrics wrong....I keep hearing over and over in my head something like "hail mary says" I think they repeat that line twice in the chorus.  Too bad you can't hum a tune in google so that it could find it for you.

• Jesus and Mary Chain?

Other grunge/alt. bands: Belly, Better than Ezra, Candlebox, Blind Melon, Blur, Breeders, Collective Soul, Cracker, Dinosaur Jr., Letters from Cleo, Dishwalla, Eagle Eye Cherry, Eels, Elastica, Filter, Gin Blossoms, Garbage, Mudhoney, PJ Harvey, Poe, Spacehog, Stabbing Westward, Stone Roses, Toadies, Toad and the Wet Sprockets, Vercua Salt, Failure, James, Mazzy Star, Jesus Jones, Silverchair, Cake, ......

I could go on and on. Who sings, a male or a female? Fast or slow? Any other hints that might help?

Marshmallow
  • image Woodland Bride:

Jesus and Mary Chain?

Other grunge/alt. bands: Belly, Better than Ezra, Candlebox, Blind Melon, Blur, Breeders, Collective Soul, Cracker, Dinosaur Jr., Letters from Cleo, Dishwalla, Eagle Eye Cherry, Eels, Elastica, Filter, Gin Blossoms, Garbage, Mudhoney, PJ Harvey, Poe, Spacehog, Stabbing Westward, Stone Roses, Toadies, Toad and the Wet Sprockets, Vercua Salt, Failure, James, Mazzy Star, Jesus Jones, Silverchair, Cake, ......

I could go on and on. Who sings, a male or a female? Fast or slow? Any other hints that might help?

It is definitely a guy singing it.  I'd say it's mid-tempo. Unfortunately, the only thing I've got is the tune, which does me no good.

I don't think it's any of the bands you mentioned though. :

• It's not Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty is it?

Another guess....but way off in left field would be Richard Marx's "Hazard".

http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2008/07/13/songs-we-forgot-90s-alternative-rock/

One hit wonder? Seattle band? Obsure?

Marshmallow
  • image SA7206:
    Too bad you can't hum a tune in google so that it could find it for you.

Try Midomi.

• image Woodland Bride:

It's not Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty is it?

Another guess....but way off in left field would be Richard Marx's "Hazard".

http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2008/07/13/songs-we-forgot-90s-alternative-rock/

One hit wonder? Seattle band? Obsure?

Nope.  It definitely has the Seattle sound. It could be a one hit wonder, but I'm not sure. It's definitely a song that had radio play, but I probably haven't heard it on the radio in over ten years. I wish I paid closer attention. Thanks for helping me, it's going to drive me crazy until I think of it. If I do I'll be sure to share it.

• image weemz:

image SA7206:
    Too bad you can't hum a tune in google so that it could find it for you.

Try Midomi.

That is the coolest website!!

Unfortunately, it didn't find the song I was looking for. I tested a few others to make sure my humming/singing wasn't just bad. Haha.

• "So Help Me Jesus" by the Toadies?  I don't recall any "hail mary" in there but I heard this song recently and thought maybe it would fit.

• image Dangerangell:

"So Help Me Jesus" by the Toadies?  I don't recall any "hail mary" in there but I heard this song recently and thought maybe it would fit.

Nope, but I love that song.  

• Could it be something by Alice in Chains?

"Gone Away" by Offspring includes the phrase "hail mary" and is definitely 90s and would have gotten airplay.

• Was it Pearl Jam singing Crazy Mary?

take a bottle, drink it down, pass it around. pass it a-round.

• image kcpokergal:

Could it be something by Alice in Chains?

"Gone Away" by Offspring includes the phrase "hail mary" and is definitely 90s and would have gotten airplay.

Nope :   It's not either of those bands...  I must be butchering the lyrics....

• Not this song either, unfortunately.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for trying to help me find this song. I really appreciate it.

If you have any more ideas please share. : )

• Some more ideas:

"Jeremy" by Pearl Jam

"Better Man" by Pearl Jam

"Come As You Are" by Nirvana 

Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

• Or, alternatively (pun intended), here are some songs that bring back memories for me of that time:

"Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum

"Two Princes," "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," "Jimmy Olsen's Blues," and "How Could You Want Him" by the Spin Doctors (I was WAY into the Spin Doctors)

"Daughter" by Pearl Jam

"Creep" by Stone Temple Pilots

and of course, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

Also, Pearl Jam had a song called "Hail, Hail."  It didn't really dredge up anything for me, but maybe it will for you?

Can you tell this is driving me a little nuts now too? 

Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

• image MrsBrownsFan:

Or, alternatively (pun intended), here are some songs that bring back memories for me of that time:

"Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum

"Two Princes," "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," "Jimmy Olsen's Blues," and "How Could You Want Him" by the Spin Doctors (I was WAY into the Spin Doctors)

"Daughter" by Pearl Jam

"Creep" by Stone Temple Pilots

and of course, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

Also, Pearl Jam had a song called "Hail, Hail."  It didn't really dredge up anything for me, but maybe it will for you?

Can you tell this is driving me a little nuts now too? 

Haha, yeah I've become obsessed with finding the song.  I have people at work trying to help me too.

Unfortunately it's none of those songs.  I think the band, may have had less popularity than Alice in Chains, STP, Pearl Jam or Nirvana...maybe popularity more along the lines of Better than Ezra (although it's not Better than Ezra).  

I tried calling the restaurant yesterday, but I didn't get through. I'm going to try again today.

• I'm just stabbing in the dark here--it couldn't be New Age Girl by Deadeye ***, could it?

Can you remember anything else about the song?  Are you sure it's 1990s?  Did the singer kind of sound like anyone else?  Anything unusual about the instrumentation in the song?

• image kcpokergal:

I'm just stabbing in the dark here--it couldn't be New Age Girl by Deadeye ***, could it?

Can you remember anything else about the song?  Are you sure it's 1990s?  Did the singer kind of sound like anyone else?  Anything unusual about the instrumentation in the song?

Nope, unfortunately that's not it either. That was song from Dumb and Dumber right?

The song is definitely 90s and I'd say it was definitely 1996 or earlier.

If I had to compare the sound to a very well known grunge band, I'd say it was most similar to Nirvana's style.  The part leading up to the chorus is deeper, more distorted and slower.  There's definitely a sort of a relase to the chorus, if that makes any sense. I'm not good with music terms.

• Collective Soul's "Shine"?

I'm just going to start naming random songs now. Smile

• image weemz:

Collective Soul's "Shine"?

I'm just going to start naming random songs now. Smile

Hey, I'll take random if it helps me find the song.  Not "Shine" though.  I've been known to belt that one out in the car though, haha.

• Ok, so it's pretty clear that not knowing the name of this song is driving me insane. So today I called the restaurant where I was eating lunch when I heard the song.  Turns out they have the music set to a Sirius satellite radio station called Lithium-The best grunge and 90s alternative rock music (I would have to agree, every song was good).

Anyway, you can contact the channel. So I just sent them an email, told them the time frame of when I heard the song and I'm crossing my fingers that they either know the name of the song or at least have the song list during that time. Then we can see how badly I interpreted the lyrics and I can finally find that song and end this madness.

I will keep you all posted!

• Well, I absolutely need to know what song it was, so I will be standing by for your update!
    Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

• This thread is just hilarious.

Heart you, SA.

• Nothing yet girls. I probably checked my email 5 million times today. 

I'll let you know as soon as I get it.Wink

• It wasn't Soundgarden was it?  Or Temple of the Dog?  Or Live?