Decorating & Renovating

Do all the cabinets in your home match?

We're building and I'm putting cherry cabinets in the kitchen. Do I need to match all the bathroom cabinets and laundry room cabinets or can they be a different wood/stain?

Also, if you're posting, does your woodwork/doors all match your kitchen cabinets?

DS#1 born 1/31/06 DS#2 born 3/7/08 DS#3 born sleeping at 17w 3d due to umbilical cord accident BFP#4 6/18/11 EDD 2/19/12 Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Do all the cabinets in your home match?

• image fondybride:

We're building and I'm putting cherry cabinets in the kitchen. Do I need to match all the bathroom cabinets and laundry room cabinets or can they be a different wood/stain?

Also, if you're posting, does your woodwork/doors all match your kitchen cabinets?

Oh my goodness no. .. I've never heard of every single piece of cabinetry matching in the house.  We have oak cabinets in the kitchen and white cabinets in the bathroom.

All of the woodwork and doors match in our kitchen, but it is also circa 1960. I've seen some beautiful kitchens with different stains and finishes in the kitchen.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My bathrooms and kitchen cabinets are all cheery (builder did them this way).  Our doors and baseboards and trim are white.

Some day I would love counter height bathroom vanities so I don't have to bend over as far to get to the sink.

• no they don't and I don't think they need too-?

our kitchen cabinets are Cream/offwhite-

our bathrooms are a dark espresso

PIB ?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think they all have to.  However most of ours are (or will eventually be) white.
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • def. not, but i would say don't mix styles... like contemporary vs. cottage.
  • I think my bathroom cabinets match our kitchen but that's because it was the stain / finish we like that the builder was offering w/o having to upgrade.  Our hardware does not match.  I don't think you don't need to worry about matching the cabinets.  I would never noticed if the MB cabinets matched my downstairs kitchen cabinets
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • image fondybride:

Ours do all match.  Unfortunately, that means they're all honey oak.  *wrinkles nose*  I don't think they need to, though.  I'm planning to pop my cabinet-painting cherry this weekend, and paint our full bath vanity.  It's practice for later doing the kitchen cabinets.

image fondybride:

More or less.  It's not exact, but it's very close. 

• Ours did - they were all orange-y oak.  We're in the process of painting the kitchen cabinets white & we ripped out both bathroom vanities (no clue what we're replacing them with - lots of trips to HD & Lowe's).  Our trim & doors are all white, so they will match once the painting is done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • image fondybride:

No on the woodwork and doors- but we have a lot of exposed wood in our house (tongue & groove ceilings, ceiling beams, etc.)  and we don't have any bathroom below sink cabinets, yet. 

When I see a house that has the same exact cabinetry in the kitchen and all of the bathrooms it always makes me think that the builder did the selecting and just went w/ the easiest/cheapest (not necessarily cheap, but just cheaper to order 2 or 3 more of a kitchen cabinet than order different vanity cabinets for the bathrooms) thing and used the same throughout the house. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • our townhouse has all matching cabinets and hardware throughout the house.  it is just the builder basic stuff and a bit boring.  if you have the opportunity to choose your own wood and finishes then you can go all out!  have fun!
  • Cabinets in the kitchen all match, they're a light cherry. The down stairs bathroom cabinet is white. While the upstairs bathroom cabinets are a light oak.

I think if they all matched it would be a bit much for me.

image,image, image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker