Health & Fitness

Why does soup have so much sodium?

Soup seems like such a healthy choice, except for the sodium. Why do they all have so much damn sodium? I've been getting soup from Whole Foods for lunch, and I assumed it would be a little better than canned soup, but it turns out it's not. Argh! I wish they'd leave out some of the sodium and let me add my own salt.

P.S. I do make my own soup sometimes, but I don't have time to do it every week.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Why does soup have so much sodium?

• Because its non-perishable. They gotta make it non-perishable somehow...

• I know.  It's so healthy except for that.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • I definitely understand why canned food has so much sodium for self stability, but I don't understand why frozen food needs to have so much sodium. It's frozen!
  • i've learned to just make a HUGE pot with like 20 servings and freeze into individual portions...I'm trying to eat more soup and I can't get past the sodium levels in most soups
  • Darby Creek Soups (it's a company out of Maine but they ship) makes amazing soup mixes that are super low in sodium.  I don't know how they do it!  Anyway, all you have to do is add water (sometimes other simple things) and cook through--it's not really time consuming.  I made the country ten bean this weekend--all I had to do was soak the beans overnight, dump them in the crockpot with spices water and a can of tomatoes, and it was ready when I got home.  I also hate high sodium soup (and well, high sodium anything), so I was really happy to find it.

Also, I'm new to the nest, so hi!  I just came over from the knot after my summer wedding... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is why I stay away from canned soup and put it in my emergency kit. Even those low sodium ones taste like cr@p.

BTW-Making soup is not that hard. I use the crockpot over the weekend and we have tons of soup for the week.

TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

• ITA.  This is why I rarely end up eating soup much because I don't always have time to make big batches at home, even on the weekends.  Or the stuff I can find to make at home tastes like crap (sometimes BECAUSE it's low-sodium). LOL

• image abvernon:

That is why I stay away from canned soup and put it in my emergency kit. Even those low sodium ones taste like cr@p.

BTW-Making soup is not that hard. I use the crockpot over the weekend and we have tons of soup for the week.

YES! The CrockPot is key for making lots of soup frequently.