What's Cooking?

Baked goods to ship to Afghanistan...

We're sending some holiday baked goods to our friend in Afghanistan (he's a Marine).

We were thinking almond bark pretzels, but thinking the chocolate could melt off by the time it got there. We'd like to send him a variety of things, rather than just a bunch of cookies, which is the only thing we can think of right now that would ship well. Any other suggestions?

Thanks ladies!

Re: Baked goods to ship to Afghanistan...

• I'm not sure the coated pretzels would work.  What about making ranch oyster crackers or marinated pretzels?
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • image KristysRedBarn:
    I'm not sure the coated pretzels would work.  What about making ranch oyster crackers or marinated pretzels?

We thought of ranch pretzels as I typed up my post! Smile We also have chex mix type stuff on the list, we're just looking for Holiday type treats..

• My H is deployed in Iraq right now and I have sent him snickerdoodles, rice krispie treats, banana bread, and brownies. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in ziplock containers and they got there just fine.  If you're looking for things to buy, go to Harry and David. They have so many options of holiday type foods. Also, Target had some Apple Pie flavor trail mix and Pumpkin Spice trail mix that I sent just this week.
  • Peanut brittle and some sort of granola might be a nice addition
  • Hi I only lurk on this board, but my husband has done 3 tours in Iraq.  Many military wives swear by the cake-in-a-jar recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cake-in-a-Jar/Detail.aspx

You can also send some plastic knives, frosting and whatever other assorted goodies for cake toppings you want.  I wouldn't recommend chocolate tho.  Even in the winter it still hits around 120 on the average.

• While it isn't homemade - ALL of my buddies always want beef jerky!
  • caramel popcorn

I've been dying to try this recipe from Peabody