Married Life

Can green bananas make you sick?

Warning, this is kind of gross...

As in, puking?  Natalie was *begging* for a banana about an hour before dinner, so I gave her one.  But it was really green, and probably a good 2 days away from being non-green, but not over ripe.  When I put her in her high chair for dinner, she puked all over the place, and I noticed she felt hot (ended up having a fever of 101.1).  But after she threw up, she was practically crying for the pizza I'd made for dinner.  I gave her some, and she just kept asking for more. 

She ended up eating a normal sized dinner, but I'm a little nervous that she's going to puke again (in bed this time).  It has been about 5 hours since she got sick, and she's sleeping.  Could it have just been the banana?

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Re: Can green bananas make you sick?

• As far as I know, it  would just upset your stomach, not cause a fever.
  • I've heard that green bananas can give you the runs. Not puking, but runs.
    imageimageimage
  • My guess is banana or she is actually sick.  She may be at the start of the illness so she is still hungry yet has a fever.  My experience with kids is they wont eat if they feel like they are sick enough to puke.  Especially not beg for pizza.

I would place a couple towels on sides of her bed, like actually on mattress so if she pukes its on towel and easier cleanup.

Poor baby, good luck.

• Aren't you a nurse?
    Mama to T-11.26.02 and M-3.8.11
  • image jsmithoregon:

My guess is banana or she is actually sick.  She may be at the start of the illness so she is still hungry yet has a fever.  My experience with kids is they wont eat if they feel like they are sick enough to puke.  Especially not beg for pizza.

I would place a couple towels on sides of her bed, like actually on mattress so if she pukes its on towel and easier cleanup.

Poor baby, good luck.

She's in her crib.  If she pukes in there, I'm basically screwed.

• image HIPPIEMOM:
    Aren't you a nurse?

This is annoying!

I assume nurses don't know EVERYTHING about health off the top of their heads. Much like I don't know everything about Florida law off the top of my head.

• image HIPPIEMOM:
    Aren't you a nurse?

lol yes....a neonatal ICU nurse, and I haven't worked since Natalie was born.  The babies in my unit were a good 8 months away from solid foods, so I'm not really up to date on the effects of eating under-ripe produce.  ; )

ETA:  and thanks tamb, I agree.

• I would imagine it could cause the upset stomache at most. I would think the fever would be something else.

Sorry if my previous post came across snippy. It was kinda rude. I apologize.

• Well I hope she doesnt puke in bed, yuck cause you know how babies/kids are they just puke, go back to sleep and lay in it.

I would totally guess for a child, yes it was the bananas, but will she puke again?  I dunno waking her up to do prevention could end up bad.

• No problem.  I'm the first person to admit that my specialized choice in nursing practice led to me forgetting about 80% of what I learned in nursing school.  I can talk all day about neonatal issues, but I'd need some significant refresher courses if I wanted to safely manage an adult patient. 

• Well, I do hope little Natalie is feeling better and gets thru the night throw-up free! For your sake and for hers!
  • Trust me you aren't the only nurse to forget certain things after being in one specialized area.  I hear it alot from my nurse friends.  They want to change areas after so many years and are afraid to go and get re trained and look like they are stupid or something.

I once ate birthday cake and felt totally fine, then 1 hour later puked it all up and was sick, and then next day fine.  Weird things happen, but for sure I am wary of cake now.