What's Cooking?

Canned pumpkin and box cake mix?

Has anyone ever tried mixing just a can of pumpkin and a box of cake mix? So instead of adding the oil and eggs and water, you just add the pumpkin.

Honestly, people say that it tastes good and moist, but does it really taste good? Does it taste anywhere near what a normal box cake tastes like???

And if anyone is curious and on WW, each serving of the cake is 3 points...

Re: Canned pumpkin and box cake mix?

• Hmmm I have never made this, but if you have heard that it's good, try it.  At least it's an easy recipe so you won't waste a lot of time if it's not. 

I don't understand why the pumpkin takes the place of the eggs though... 

• I have a good friend who makes it all the time.  Her favorite is to use spice cake.

• Yes I have tried this and it makes fantastic pumpkin muffins! I was going to make them sometime soon. I usually use the white cake mix but I'm sure you could use any kind.
  • Hmm... I may have to try it this weekend. I can't see that it replaces eggs though...?? For those who have tried it, can you tell me what you used: 1 box of spice cake, a can of pumpkin, and what else??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've heard of it, but haven't attempted it yet.  I have a Spice cake mix at home to make at some point with the pumpkin.

As odd as it seems, it's not really all that different from other WW baking concepts: diet soda + boxed cake mix, black beans + brownie mix.

• I've made these before (got the receipe from the Hungry girl cookbook). You just add cake mix and canned pumpkin and nothing else. It is good and moist.

Even my DH, who is a meat and potato guy, has eaten some.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have done this with a brownie mix.  It was still a good treat, but obviously not like the real thing.  The pumpkin is very moist, so I am guessing this is what makes the egg substitute happen.  Like Paula said - same concept as the diet soda cake or applesauce in cookies replacement idea.

I would try another cake/muffin mix with the pumpkin that lends itself better to the flavor of the pumpkin like a spice cake like PP say.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

• I've done this with white cake, yellow cake, spice cake, carrot cake and devils food cake.  They all work out nicely!  DH accidentally added the pumpkin, water and egg whites (thought pumpkin was the oil sub) and it turned out the best.  If making devils food, don't add the water.  Otherwise, it has worked out deliciously for us both ways!!!
  • I made these the other night, 2 batches actually.  For each batch I use a box of carrot cake mix and 1 can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin.  Just mix together.  No other ingredients.  I do spray a 9x13x2 pan with a little Pam so it doesn't stick.  I pre-heat the oven to 350 and then bake for 30 minutes.  They are so moist and yummy.  I don't even like pumpkin but love these bars.  I do ice them sometimes with cream cheese frosting.  Sometimes I top them with pecans.  And sometimes I add golden raisins to the mixture, just to change it up a bit.  I have also used a spike cake mix, but prefer the carrot cake instead.