Decorating & Renovating

converting a queen headboard/footboard to a king size mattress

Hi ladies!  My DH and I are thinking of upgrading from a queen mattress to a king.  However, we have really nice bedroom furniture including a queen headboard/footboard/rails.  We are trying to figure out how to convert those to use with a king mattress.  Has anyone ever done that?  How did it work?  How did it look?

I really need that king size bed :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: converting a queen headboard/footboard to a king size mattress

• Call me crazy, but I don't think it would work at all.  A standard Queen is 60 inches and a standard King is 76 inches wide.  I think it would look terrible to have a bed sticking out 8 inches on each side.
  • I don't see how that would work.

A queen size bed is 60x80, and a king is 76x80.  so if you try to use your headboard and footboard, you'll have eight inches of empty space on either side.  The rails will be the right length, but they won't be ale to connect to the headboard and footboard.

If you love the rest of the furniture, I would probably try to make an upholstered headboard and just use the existing nightstands/dresser/etc.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • You need to measure the width of your headboard and all that. If they are wide enough, you may be able to amend your rail system by changing out the brackets or creating new slots (not sure how your rails attach to the head/footboards) to accommodate the king-size mattress.

If your head/footboards aren't wide enough (greater than the width of the king-size mattress) I would just suck it up and buy a new bed frame. It would look silly to have a too-small bedframe. 

• We inherited DH's grandparent's old furniture, everything except the queen sized headboard.  A cousin of his has the headboard, but I didn't bother with it since we were planning on upgrading to a king.  Once we got the king I made an upholstered headboard and matching "rails" to cover a standard metal bed frame.
  • The head board would be too short. Maybe a hollywood frame until you find a king bed?!?! I don't see any way to make the head and foot board bigger.