Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ovarian Cyst?

Have any of you had an ovarian cyst?  I found out on Friday that I have one on my left ovary that's a little over 8 cm.  I have an appointment with my Dr tomorrow to go over treatment options.  If you've had one...how large was yours?  And what did you have to do to get rid of it?

I'm thinking one of the options might be to go on birth control pills, but I just stopped taking them a couple of months ago so we could start TTC sometime in the next few months so I'm hoping there's something else (other than surgery) that we'll be able to do.

Thanks!

Re: Ovarian Cyst?

• I had a tiny one that I had no idea I had it just happened to be there during one of my annual exams. It was so small, the dr said it would dissolve with my clycle and sure enough it did (I had to go back after my cycle so they could check)

Good luck!

• You can either wait for it to go away, take BCP's, or have surgery.  If left untreated it can interfere with you getting pregnant (it can disrupt hormone levels).  8mm is teeny tiny -- it could reabsorb pretty quickly.
  • Oh sorry -- I see it's 8 cm!  Since you only recently went off of bcp, it's pretty unusual it popped up that big that quickly.  You develop cysts each month in your ovaries (which is what the eggs are released from -- it's a follicular cyst) -- but it could also be a functional cyst.  They'll probably do some other tests just to rule out polycystic ovarian syndrome.  I hope you feel better soon!
  • Well, it's 8 centimeters though....so a little over 3 inches in diameter.  I know that's not huge or anything, but I do hope that maybe it will just reabsorb.
  • Oh, you already responded again...sorry!  LOL!!  Thanks for all of the info, you know TONS more about all of this than me.  I'm pretty much in the dark, so thanks again!!
  • Sorry you have to go through this, I've had my share of cysts and also ones that have ruptured.  Hopefully your body will just reabsorb it.  If its a follicular cyst and the sac didn't break it could take 1-3 months for it to diminish and it's normal for your Dr. to just monitor it, if its a corpus luteum cysts which develops when the sac does break but doesn't dissolve, those go away within a few weeks, just make sure you and your Dr. stay on top of it.  Hope you feel better soon!

• I had ovarian cysts before and during my first pregnancy. I was scared by them, but my OB assured me that often times they come and go quickly. She did say that if they are small, it can actually help your pregnancy, by helping release the hormones your body needs or something? I'm not entirely sure how she stated it....I did get  a million u/s in my first pregnancy to monitor the growth of the cysts, so I tried to see it as a positive. My OB also mentioned that if they are not huge and not near the baby, they don't post a problem in pregnancy /delivery. Mine went away after 3 months of pregnancy.

I say all this, but I'm not educated on PCOS so I would tell your Dr. you wanting to TTC, and see what they recommend.  Sorry, I"m probably no help, but don't worry! Often, they are very common and nothing to worry about!

• I had one during my first pregnancy and it grew to the size of a small orange. The doctors talked about going in and removing during my second trimester since it was so large but then I began to have other pregnancy complications so they chose to leave it alone. They said they would remove it after I gave birth. . . I ended up having a c-section so my doc removed it after they took our daughter out. To quote my doctor he said" my ovary looked like it had been beat to hell" once they removed the cyst.
  • I've had larger ones several times, and I've had some rupture.  I was monitored pretty closely until the doctor, and had to have several ultrasounds.  We have had trouble trying to conceive, but we've both been checked out and my infertility doctor feels confident that it's nothing to do with the cyst.  I can tell, however, with each cycle whether or not my cysts have dissolved, or if they've gotten bigger by how heavy my period is.  Really, though, other than having occasional heavy periods, it's not that big of a deal.  Just make sure your doctor monitors you!
  • How can you tell if you have one.? Are there symptoms? I have no idea about this stuff.
  • I've had them too and had surgery.  It was awhile ago.  Probably in 2001 or 2002.  Mine was 6cm and wasn't shrinking and was causing problems.  I had laparoscopy surgery which wasn't bad.  My symptoms were a feeling of fullness, light cramping, and (sorry TMI) during my period and at random times during the month I was bleeding black colored blood and had lots of clots.  It was really gross.

Here are the signs according to the Mayo Clinic  Sim Doh-

• Menstrual irregularities
    • Pelvic pain ? a constant or intermittent dull ache that may radiate to your lower back and thighs
    • Pelvic pain shortly before your period begins or just before it ends
    • Pelvic pain during intercourse (dyspareunia)
    • Pain during bowel movements or pressure on your bowels
    • Nausea, vomiting or breast tenderness similar to that experienced during pregnancy
    • Fullness or heaviness in your abdomen
    • Pressure on your rectum or bladder ? difficulty emptying your bladder completely

The signs and symptoms that signal the need for immediate medical attention include:

• Sudden, severe abdominal or pelvic pain
    • Pain accompanied by fever or vomiting

• I had a functional cyst that was a little larger than yours; I think about 12cm.  The gyno I was seeing at the time recommended BC pills to try and shrink it - I was on BC for about 6 months with no change.  He was very non-chalant about the whole situation ("you're young", "if it's not hurting, we won't worry about it", etc). So I just kind of accepted it and went on.  I went in for a few follow up visits, and it wasn't growing, but it wasn't shrinking either and my gyno maintained the same attitude about it.

Fast forward a year or so.  I'd been on BC since my initial diagnosis.  Move to a new city and see a new gyno who is completely the opposite of my previous gyno.  She was very concerned that it was so large (still at 12cm) and appeared to be a "chocolate" cyst (blood/vascularized).  She recommened immediate laparoscopic surgery.  Long story short, the "cyst" was actually an adenoma that had become so involved with my ovary and tube, the whole tube/ovary/adenoma combo had to be removed.

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken BC for a few months to see if anything changed.  Well, I actually would have gotten a second opinion.  If your gyno is suggesting laparoscopic surgery to remove it, I'd take that option.  Ultrasound is pretty good a discerning solid tumors from cystic tumors, but I think it's difficult for them to tell how involved the cyst really is (or what kind) until they get in there and look at it.  The surgery was very non-invasive and recovery time was basically nil.  I only have 2 tiny scars.

Hope this helps.  If you really want to try BC to shrink it, I'd give it a couple months and see how it goes.  If it's still the same after a couple months, I'd look into laparoscopy.