Money Matters

Sams Club VS Grocery Store for meat

Am I really getting more bang for my buck by buying bulk? I've noticed that it makes no sense to buy bulk when you're good at couponing... however it's rare to find coupons for meat unless it is processed.

So, do you just follow the sales @ the grocery store?? Western ribs are on sale at Meijer for .99lb and a chuck roast for 1.99lb. I can't recall how much I paid per lb for the last roast I bought @ Sams.

I have been aggressively trying to trim my grocery budget... thanks in advance!

Re: Sams Club VS Grocery Store for meat

• I trust the meat at Costco more than I trust it where I buy the rest of my groceries. I don't want hamburger from 4 countries and 73 cows, so getting it to the absolute cheapest price isn't my top priority.

I can't speak for Sam's, though.

• Can't speak for Sam's, but Costco is often still cheaper and, more importantly, always tastes better.  Plus their fish (at least in this neck of the....well land locked area) is much cheaper and very good.
  • It depends on what you're buying.  We've found that chicken and ground beef are usually cheaper on sale than at Sam's.  Higher quality shrimp is cheaper at Sam's, but if you want the lower quality, it's cheaper at the grocery store.

Although Sam's did just start carrying their own brand of chicken which is only $2lb which is the cheapest I can ever find chicken, but I haven't tried it yet to see how it tastes.

Other cuts/types of meat I don't buy often enough to evaluate or buy for quality regardless of price.

• I am not the one to coupon theres never coupon for the items we would buy, but for meats we get it for the farm.  You can save a lot of money this way.  We paid like 275 for half a cow last year and had enough meat for about a year.  As for following sales last week our local grocery store had deal on boneless chicken, 1.29 a lb, we stocked on about 4-6 packages to put in our deep freezer.  For us it does save money to buy in bulk.  I have found sometimes the quality of meat at Sams is lesser grade and more fatty t hen at the regular grocery store.  Hands down you get a better deal and quality by buying it directly from the farm. 
  • I just bought chicken in bulk for the first time last week at Sam's.  The per pound price is definitely much cheaper than the grocery store.  However, I made sure to buy those vacuum seal bags so that I store the meat properly in the freezer.  We don't have a large freezer so I won't buy any red meats in bulk.  Otherwise, I totally would!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At our local grocery, I can get packs of meat, it's a variety of stuff.  They have different tiers, but I usually will get those.  I've calculated the cost difference, and it really is a savings.  I will usually get the big value pack ($100, and it lasts our family of 5 over a month), sometimes I'll get more of a fancy pack for more variety...and I supplement with stuff I find on sale...when whole chickens are crazy cheap, for example. 

Whenever I'm at Sams, I do check out their sales.  If they have stuff really marked down, I'll buy it and freeze it, but I don't buy there exclusively.  

• What I prefer about Sam's is the consistency in prices. So maybe once every few months tilapia will be cheaper at the grocery store, but it's always very reasonable at Sam's. I usually buy chicken from the grocery store becuase it goes on sale more often, but I like getting fish and shrimp from Sam's.
  • I think it's hit or miss.

Sam's club had chicken breasts for $1.97 a lb over the weekend and they looked pretty good.  I bought them for a dinner party we had Sunday and it was a bargain compared to what the grocery had them priced that week.

But, when the grocery had the fit and trim chicken breasts $1.98 a lb. I stock up because H eats like 3 chicken breasts a day!

• For us, we actually have to buy it in bulk at Sam's.  If you buy it buy the case at our Sam's, boneless chicken breast is $1.50 a pound.  I have never seen it that low in our grocery stores.  However, if you just buy it by the package, it is $1.99 a lb.  The sale price at our grocery store.
  • Most of the meat we buy is from Sams because I really like the quality of it and I think it does save money (mostly chicken, and pork and turkey tenderoins).

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends on what it is and what types of sales are out there the week you happen to be buying.

I don't belong to Sam's but it is basically WalMart and everytime I go to the Super WalMart that is semi-local to me, I am always disgusted with 80%+ of their meat. Forget that it's expensive, it just looks fatty and awful. The only thing I buy there is ground turkey (breast & 93/7).

We do have a BJ's membership and just Saturday I bought 8 HUGE short ribs for $2.29/lb. The whole package was $11.00. At Acme, my local grocery store, they're $4.99/lb so that is a huge deal. Even at Wegmans, who IMO has great prices for meat, they're $2.69 or $2.79 on sale. I made all 8 short ribs and my H now has lunch for the next 2-3 days with the leftovers.

They had pork loins (not tenderloin) for $1.99/lb. Not bad, but I found out the next day Shop Rite (another local grocery store) had them for $.99/lb.

ETA: I have no personal experience with Sam's Club and their meat department. I am only relating my experience with WalMart and their meat department to the fact that Sam's Club and WalMart have the same parent company. For all I know, they have great inexpensive meat and the WalMart that I have been to has crappy expensive meat.

• Sams Club meat is better quality than Walmart meat.
  • image MrsCookToBe:
    Sams Club meat is better quality than Walmart meat.

Posted while I was editing :)

• They just remodeled the wal mart by use and it has a new meat section.  There is actually some good meet in there now, but not all of it is great.

We eat lots of the 99% fat free ground turkey.

• I find it cheaper to stock up on the sales at a regular grocery store.

• image uncannycanuck:

I trust the meat at Costco more than I trust it where I buy the rest of my groceries. I don't want hamburger from 4 countries and 73 cows, so getting it to the absolute cheapest price isn't my top priority.

I can't speak for Sam's, though.

This.  100%

• image Chrissy3321:

They just remodeled the wal mart by use and it has a new meat section.  There is actually some good meet in there now, but not all of it is great.

We eat lots of the 99% fat free ground turkey.

We have a swanky "Wal-Mart Pantry" grocery store near my workplace, and their meat looks better than any I had ever seen at a regular Wal-Mart.

Then again, everything looks swankier in there. They also have higher prices.

• I get most of my meat at Wegmans but stock up on some at Sam's (which is not like a SuperWalmart, btw).

Wegmans often has chicken breast $1.97/lb., sometimes $1.79/lb. And that is our "fancy" grocery store. The Tops across the way has it for $3.99 most of the time, and it isn't as good.

• i can't speak for sams, but everything except chicken is cheaper for us at BJ's.  i can find much better deals at the grocery store on chicken where i am.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • We definitely buy red meat and sausages at Sam's (or we used to before we decided not to support the company any more).  It's much cheaper and high quality.  The chicken is usually cheaper, and we bought it once.  But I was freaked out by how huge the breasts were, so we never got them again.  Chickens don't need to have breasts bigger than mine, you know?

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • The normal price at Costco is a little higher than the sale price at the grocery store, but it's better quality meat. I really like Costco's meat.