Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Alisha ~ are you still here? Come in please!

I wanted to get your opinion on the info my vet sent home with DH and Winston today regarding allergies. This is what the sheet says:

"Good food is cheaper than veterinarians"

Best is always a freshly prepared, balanced home cooked diet. Second best is human quality, raw, frozen diet. Otherwise, a high quality diet, naturally preserved (ie, with tochopherols), with good supplementation, is acceptable for most pets. We DO NOT recommend grocery store type foods, due to the 4-D meat (dead, dying, diseased, and debilitated) used in their preparation.

If your pet is allergic/hypersensitive:

Cerumen gland hyperplasia (excess wax in ears) - 80% food, 80% inhaled - usually both

Chewing on or licking feet - inhaled

Armpits - food

Tummy - contact allergy

Tail and head - fleas

Start a feeding trial of 2-3 months with no corn, beef, wheat, or soy from any source (continue this always). Not on dog food (either canned or dry), from the table or treats - no pizza, bread, hamburgers, pasta, popcorn, pig ears, or turkey legs. Treats can be "people" rice cakes. Read the fine print on labels.

You will also need to change the way your pet digests his food with teh use of digestive enzymes, otherwise he may become allergic to a new diet. Udo's Choice Pet Essentials powdered supplement is a convenient, easy to use source of enzymes. It also has the proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to minimize the inflammatory response seen with any allergy. You must add the labeled dose of Udo's to your pet's food each time he eats.

Examples of commercial hypoallergenic diets:

Natures Variety - prairies, instinct, and raw

Chicken Soup

Natures Recipe - easy to digest

Diamond - Lamb and Rice

Taste of the wild (some formulas, check fine print)

Blue Buffalo

Innova (some formulas, check fine print)

Solid Gold (some varieties, check fine print)

She also wants him to have 1/8 teaspoon of locally harvested honey daily.

Any thoughts on her recommendations? What do you think of this supplement? We currently feed Kirkland chicken and Rice (Diamond) and she said switching to Lamb and Rice was fine but I need to double check the ingredients.

Re: Alisha ~ are you still here? Come in please!

• Ah, very nice! Its great to see vets so aware of how much what we all eat impacts our lives.

This part is a little confusing: Start a feeding trial of 2-3 months with no corn, beef, wheat, or soy from any source (continue this always). Not on dog food (either canned or dry), from the table or treats - no pizza, bread, hamburgers, pasta, popcorn, pig ears, or turkey legs.

Digestive enzymes are important especially while building health. I know the omegas are important with allergies. Local honey or bee pollen is supposed to be really helpful for seasonal allergies.

Have you looked at another L&R? I have not been pleased with the Kirkland brand.

• I'm sorry to barge in, but we are going through similar allergy issues.

Does it have to be locally harvested honey? 

We were out of food anyway, so I bought Wellness Core Ocean formula to see if a different protein source will help.

We've also been adding a fish oil capsule to her food in the morning.  Dh spilled the bottle of stuff that the vet sold us, but someone else here said hte OTC capsules would be fine. (She thinks it's a treat - takes it out ofher bowl and eats it in another room.)

We are taking her to the vet tonight, so we'll have to see what they say.  The odd thing is she now has a patch of bumps on the top of her head, right between her ears.  She was scratching at it the other day and it bled a little.  I have no idea what that is. 

Happy Spring!.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Alisha_A:

Ah, very nice! Its great to see vets so aware of how much what we all eat impacts our lives.

This part is a little confusing: Start a feeding trial of 2-3 months with no corn, beef, wheat, or soy from any source (continue this always). Not on dog food (either canned or dry), from the table or treats - no pizza, bread, hamburgers, pasta, popcorn, pig ears, or turkey legs.

Digestive enzymes are important especially while building health. I know the omegas are important with allergies. Local honey or bee pollen is supposed to be really helpful for seasonal allergies.

Have you looked at another L&R? I have not been pleased with the Kirkland brand.

It would probably make more sense if I had written "not IN dog food", not "not ON dog food" which is what I typed. I think she's trying to say to avoid wheat, beef, corn, soy for 2-3 months in anything he eats but always avoid soy. Maybe? It was a little unclear to me, too.

I have fed CA Natural Lamb and Rice in the past and liked it a lot. My groomer sells it. The price point is twice what Kirkland is, but we can afford it - it's just selling DH on the new food. I've already been leery of Kirkland due to Diamonds quality control issues but when we had Ace the Foster, he was eating enormous amts of food and the price was an issue. He's gone now, so I am considering another brand.

Thanks for your thoughts

• image Stephiehun:

I'm sorry to barge in, but we are going through similar allergy issues.

Does it have to be locally harvested honey? 

We were out of food anyway, so I bought Wellness Core Ocean formula to see if a different protein source will help.

We've also been adding a fish oil capsule to her food in the morning.  Dh spilled the bottle of stuff that the vet sold us, but someone else here said hte OTC capsules would be fine. (She thinks it's a treat - takes it out ofher bowl and eats it in another room.)

We are taking her to the vet tonight, so we'll have to see what they say.  The odd thing is she now has a patch of bumps on the top of her head, right between her ears.  She was scratching at it the other day and it bled a little.  I have no idea what that is. 

DH said she stressed the locally harvested, and even told us not to buy a brand sold in our area that it touted as local because in the fine print, it says it's imported in. I honestly don't know much about this stuff so I am not sure the reasoning behind it. I'm sure she told DH, but he never remembers to tell me anything.

I hope you find something that works soon =)