Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sudden onset of separation anxiety??

We've had Casper over 4 months now.  He came to us with some mild separation anxiety (barking in his crate for a little while after we would leave), but that's all.  Never drooled or peed in his crate or chewed anything up.

Until this week, all the sudden.  Monday when I got home from work, pee.  Tuesday nothing -- and he was crated Tuesday evening for a few hours as well while we went out for dinner with friends.  Today (Wed), pee when I got home from work and the crate-mounted water bowl was chewed a little.  This evening we ran some errands, and came home to drool (but no pee) all over a tshirt I had left in there with him.

Any ideas what might cause a sudden onset of SA like this?  The only thing that has been out of the ordinary recently is that he spent the weekend camping with DH and some friends and another dog -- and had a blast, incidentally.  They came home Sunday morning.  Monday was the first time he ever peed in his crate.  But isn't a weekend too short of a time for him to become hopelessly attached to DH??

To make matters worse, we're leaving Saturday morning for vacation for 10 days.  He'll be staying with my sister and then at home with a guy friend house/dog sitting for us... but now I'm worried sick about leaving when this is suddenly starting.

TIA!

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi

Re: Sudden onset of separation anxiety??

• Isabelle had a similar sudden onset that progressed very quickly too.  One day she was fine, the next she was covered in drool.  So I totally feel your pain!  Our trainer said it was because she finally got attached to us. 

Maybe try and get a DAP plug in and some rescue remedy on short notice to use while you're gone.  We're on clomicalm but we do have a DAP which is starting to help and eventually she'll move over to just the RR if all goes well...but not for a few months.

SA totally sucks :(

Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker married 4/19/2008
  • Is it possible that something scary happened while he was in his crate on Monday? Like an unusual loud noise or something?
  • image **ZippityDoDa**:
    Is it possible that something scary happened while he was in his crate on Monday? Like an unusual loud noise or something?

It *is* possible, because we accidentally left a window open upstairs, and we had really high winds that day... with an open window, that can cause the upstairs doors (which we keep closed) to rattle.  That was my theory about Monday... and I felt better after he was fine yesterday... but then pee and drool today.  I'm at a loss and feel horrible for him.  Sad

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • image IndyGirl02:

image **ZippityDoDa**:
    Is it possible that something scary happened while he was in his crate on Monday? Like an unusual loud noise or something?

It *is* possible, because we accidentally left a window open upstairs, and we had really high winds that day... with an open window, that can cause the upstairs doors (which we keep closed) to rattle.  That was my theory about Monday... and I felt better after he was fine yesterday... but then pee and drool today.  I'm at a loss and feel horrible for him.  Sad

Can you maybe soothe him with some distraction noise (calm music/tv/etc.) to counteract that?

• image **ZippityDoDa**:
    image IndyGirl02:

image **ZippityDoDa**:

Can you maybe soothe him with some distraction noise (calm music/tv/etc.) to counteract that?

That's our next idea... tomorrow I'll leave the TV on so he has some background noise.  We also have had the air off (temps are great, no a/c or heat needed) so it's been pretty silent in the house all day.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • P.S. Casper is adorable - I want to give him a big hug!
  • image **ZippityDoDa**:
    P.S. Casper is adorable - I want to give him a big hug!

Thanks!  I think so too, but of course I'm biased.  Cool

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • image IndyGirl02:

image **ZippityDoDa**:

OMG. New picture is even cuter, if that's even possible.

• image **ZippityDoDa**:
    image IndyGirl02:

image **ZippityDoDa**:

OMG. New picture is even cuter, if that's even possible.

Ha!  Thanks again.  I realized that other one had been up for awhile. 

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • We've gone through some weird SA phases with our dogs....seemingly caused by some strange things.

Two years in a row we wound up with the same dog having SA issues, along with fear of the dark problems, after staying in a hotel with noisy people in the hall in the middle of the night.  I guess they startled her, and she couldn't see anything familiar...who knows.  She would only calm if she could see/hear me, so I had to put her crate on a chair next to my bed.  Thankfully, that passed.