Pets

how long does it take for a cat to get rid of an UTI?

my 9 y/o kitty (see siggy) was diagnosed with an UTI at the end of August.  he was put on a medication for 14 days and was told to come back for a check up.  we went back in September for his checkup and he still had blood in his urine.  he was put on a stronger dose of medicine for 7 days and was told to come back for a check up.  his check up is this Monday October 5.  well, 2 nights ago i found urine with a bit of blood in it.  they are going to be taking another urine sample from him to see how much blood he is peeing.  what is next?  will they put him on more meds or is there something else they can do? he is not acting like he is in pain at all, but i know this cannot feel good for him.  i just want my little man to get better!  anyone have experience with UTIs in their cats? how long do you think it will be until he is better?  advice?

Re: how long does it take for a cat to get rid of an UTI?

• At this point I'd think they'd be looking into other causes of the blood in the urine other than the UTI.
  • We had the same issue with our dog.  It went on for months until I took her to a holistic vet who put her on cranberry tabs and probiotics.  She hasn't had one since last November.  Since she is an older cat I wouldn't think there would be an underlying issue (like a developmental problem causing bacteria to get trapped) like they thought there was with my pup.  It could be that since the meds didn't knock it out the first couple times, the bacteria have become resistant to the meds and won't work.  Have they done a culture to see which meds will treat it the best?  I would start there and maybe look into a holistic vet in your area.  Good luck!
  • image MrsZP2B:
    At this point I'd think they'd be looking into other causes of the blood in the urine other than the UTI.

?

This. ?In my experience it has taken 10 days of antibiotics to get rid of a UTI, we also gave her a tiny bit of cranberry juice in a dropper each day but that was approved by our vet. ?At 10 yrs old I would be very concerned that there is something else going on here. ?Has he had full blood work done? ?Its a little pricey (usually a little over $100) but as a senior he should have a blood panel done annually anyway. ?I'd be particularly worried that there is some kind of kidney issue here.?

I'd also get him on a special food for UTIs, I think rockstar uses it so you might try paging her.?

image "...Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet..."
  • Have you made any diet changes?  Have you upped his water intake?

At this point I would switch to a prescription food for him, and get a pet waterfountain to encourage him to drink.

With our problem kitty we switched to Wellness Core dry food and everything finally cleared up.

• thanks for your suggestions ladies.  we did get blood work done and everything came back normal.  it is frustrating and i feel so bad for my cat.  i will up his water intake and i will ask the vet at our appointment about prescription food.  i will keep you ladies updated.  thanks again.