Canada Nesties

did you ever have birthday cake with money in it as a child?

When we were little my mom always did this (coins wrapped in wax paper and baked in the cake). ?But I don't think people do this anymore.

Where does that tradition come from??

Left, Right

Re: did you ever have birthday cake with money in it as a child?

• I don't know where the tradition came from but my grandmother did it for me, and maybe my mom did once too - but it was more my grandma's thing with the grandkids.
  • I have never heard of birthday cakes with money;
    but a friend of mine is Bulgarian and they bake money into stuff around new years and easter!

I would think it is an 'ol country ' type of thing!

• I remember that!  And like Rachel, it was more my grandmother's thing than my mom's. 
  • oh yes i had one of those. it was all the rage with kids at my school for a couple of years. We loved finding nickles, dimes and quarters (rare but a big find!). I don't know if kids still get excited about nickles ;)
  • My great grandma used to always make these!!!! Man that brings back some memories.
  • Oh my gosh, I so remember this, my mom used to do it all the time, it was so much fun, she used to wrap it in tin foil, but it was such excitment to get the money out of cake. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Useless fact. ?This tradition goes at least as far back as?medieval england when people would celebrate the harvest with huge parties. ?They would make cakes with huge seeds in them the tradition was to pass this cake loaf thing around and everyone would take a bite. ?The number of seeds would indicate how many years until you got married (if you were single) or how many children you would have (if you were married).

I have no idea where I remember that tidbit from. ?It mighta been grade nine history or something. ?

My grandma used to bake money into the cake. ?Then she quit and just started giving us rolls of quarters instead.?

imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My mom did this and the birthday kid always got the quarter and the others got a nickle or dime. We loved them - great memories!
  • Never a birthday cake, but always in the Shrove Tuesday pancakes.
  • image FrauDrA:
    Never a birthday cake, but always in the Shrove Tuesday pancakes.

Yup, this.

• I have no idea where the tradition came from. I never got that, man that would of been awesome LOL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Sammy-Mae:

Useless fact. ?This tradition goes at least as far back as?medieval england when people would celebrate the harvest with huge parties. ?They would make cakes with huge seeds in them the tradition was to pass this cake loaf thing around and everyone would take a bite. ?The number of seeds would indicate how many years until you got married (if you were single) or how many children you would have (if you were married).

I have no idea where I remember that tidbit from. ?It mighta been grade nine history or something. ?

My grandma used to bake money into the cake. ?Then she quit and just started giving us rolls of quarters instead.?

?

nice! ?This is what I wanted to know.?

Left, Right
  • image JanieJones:
    image Sammy-Mae:

Useless fact.  This tradition goes at least as far back as medieval england when people would celebrate the harvest with huge parties.  They would make cakes with huge seeds in them the tradition was to pass this cake loaf thing around and everyone would take a bite.  The number of seeds would indicate how many years until you got married (if you were single) or how many children you would have (if you were married).

I have no idea where I remember that tidbit from.  It mighta been grade nine history or something.  

My grandma used to bake money into the cake.  Then she quit and just started giving us rolls of quarters instead. 

nice!  This is what I wanted to know. 

Very interesting!

My nana always did it too. She's stopped in recent years as the younger kids would start forgetting their money at the dinner table. They just didn't seem to care anymore, as someone who grew up in the depression she just doesn't get how they could not be excited about getting money (she'd up'd the birthday kid money to a loonie or toonie in recent years too!)

I loved it as a kid though, with our cakes the money was put in the cake after it was baked (but before it was iced). The best pieces were always the corners as they had the highest in them (so the birthday kid was gauranteed to "find" the most)

• You are welcome. ?I am a fountain of useless information and I am here to serve.?
    imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers