Money Matters

should we buy our realtor a thank you gift

We just bought a house. Should we buy our realtor a gift? If so, what should we give her?

FWIW, she is Jewish and I don't know if she keeps Kosher. So food and restaurant GCs are probably not a good idea.

Re: should we buy our realtor a thank you gift

• No, write her a good letter of recommendation though and tell your friends about her.
  • You don't need to buy her a gift.  If you want to "give a gift" write a letter to her broker or the company for which she works and sing her praises.  Much better and longer term than a gift certificate.

Photobucket
  • I'm of the opinion that the realtor should be buying you a gift (if one is exchanged), not the other way around. Your best gift would be to refer your friends, or write a complimentary letter they can use as a testimonial.

We didn't have a realtor, but our mortgage broker sent us a gift basket after we closed.

• I thought realtors usually gave their customers gifts, not the other way around.  You just got her a nice 3% or so.
  • She probably just got a very nice commission because of you, so I think that's gift enough. 
  • image Kore!:

I'm of the opinion that the realtor should be buying you a gift (if one is exchanged), not the other way around. Your best gift would be to refer your friends, or write a complimentary letter they can use as a testimonial.

We didn't have a realtor, but our mortgage broker sent us a gift basket after we closed.

Ditto. 

• No.

But if you appreciated her service, a thank you note would be treasured.  It's always such a surprise when I get one.

• No, ditto pps - great letter of recommendation to the boss. We loved our realtor and invited him to our housewarming party a few months after we moved in.
    Baby BOY 10/03/06!! Went to India to get our DAUGHTER (DOB 8/14/07) HA! A surprise after adoption - Baby girl (DOB 3/19/11)!
    Bubbles are serious stuff.
  • Thanks! We're planning on recommending her to others we know who are looking at buying, but we'll also write a nice letter to her broker.
  • You just gave her at least 3% of the price of your house. Do you really think she needs more?
  • Nope.  They are getting a commission.  If you want to do something nice, recommend them in the future or write them a recommendation letter. 
  • A nice commission and your business is gift enough.  Ours bought us a gift.  I don't think you should buy them anything.  A thank you card will work.
  • image Mego04:
    You just gave her at least 3% of the price of your house. Do you really think she needs more?

Just for the record (and I know that you're not the only one that said this), but when It's all said and done, I usually only get between 1-1.5%.  And yes, we get paid, but there's no need to be resentful about it.  It's our J-O-B.

• I am in sales and work on full commission.

I buy my client's thank you presents and rarely get from them.  I don't expect one either.

There are special circumstances:

Example:  They went out of their way to be a shark and get the house of your dreams into your budget by hard negotiating.

• She should be buying you the gift.....
  • We wrote ours a thank you note, and she bought us a housewarming gift.
  • No. I've never understood why people do that.

The best gift you can give is good word of mouth.