Pets

After neutering, how much will my dog calm down?

Murray is just a wild man right now.  Seriously, there are moments when he doesn't even see or hear me because he's so focused on playing and wrestling.  And he was so wild and disobedient yesterday at the dog park that some people LEFT.  How embarrassing!  He is just about 8 mos old now, and I know he could have been neutered 2 mos ago, but the spay/neuter clinic couldn't get us in until September 15.  So we are SO GLAD that's in a few days, but I'm wondering how much different his behavior will be, particularly his prey drive and energy level. 

Re: After neutering, how much will my dog calm down?

• Possibly none....or possibly a lot.  Totalllly depends on the dog. 
  • image MrsKizdoodle:
    Possibly none....or possibly a lot.  Totalllly depends on the dog. 

This.

Megatron didn't calm down at. all.

• image MrsKizdoodle:
    Possibly none....or possibly a lot.  Totalllly depends on the dog. 

oh dear.  then we need to become better trainers.  i guess time will tell.  

• I've noticed that with the dogs who do calm down, it doesn't happen overnight. My friend has a male westie who used to mark stuff all the time, even in my house Angry. She finally got him fixed and he gradually got much better about lifting his leg.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image cattynine:
    I've noticed that with the dogs who do calm down, it doesn't happen overnight. My friend has a male westie who used to mark stuff all the time, even in my house Angry. She finally got him fixed and he gradually got much better about lifting his leg.

thanks for the info.

and omg i want to take my dog in the pool like that!  haha.  they'd be terrified so it probably won't happen!

• Energy level and prey drive aren't affected by neutering, sorry.  The good news is that 8 months is possibly the worst time for crazy puppies, they do get better!
  • From my experience, it didn't change the behavior of our husky.

If anything he had more energy after his surgery. Weird, but true.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Our boy has a lot of the same issues as yours, and he was neutered at 1 year.  We were going to wait, but we hoped neutering would calm him down.  It didn't make ANY difference at all in our case.  In fact, we ended up quitting the dog park, and he got kicked out of daycare.  He's 19 months now and still as crazy as ever.  And he's supposed to be a low energy breed!

Sorry... hopefully you will have better luck.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image SeaStar430:
    The good news is that 8 months is possibly the worst time for crazy puppies, they do get better!

I thought that too at 8 months, but at 19, I am still waiting...  Surprise

He's just as bad, if not worse, than he was then.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • For us it did nothing to our dogs energy level.  Our golden turned two this past May, and he's settled down a little, but he's still super spunky and playful.  It's actually something I cherish right now because I know it won't last forever.  Our family Husky lived to be 14 and I saw such a drastic change from the time she was puppy to the time we put her down.  It has made me appreciate the high energy because I know one day it won't be there.  Sorry that was so sappy, but that's the way I look at it.

On another note, we added a second dog last December and it has been great for both dogs.  They have a four-legged friend and they play so much that it completely wears them out.   

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker