Decorating & Renovating

White Trim with Wood Doors/Cabinets?

We are finalizing most of our decision for our new construction home this week! I love the look of white trim, but all of our doors and cabinetry are a darker stained wood. We do have white windows though. Would this look ok? I'm worried white won't match and will be tough to keep clean, but I love how it makes the wall color stand out.

Any thoughts on white vs. wood trim? With all our dark cabinets, doors and built-ins I'm worried it might clash. Opinions are welcome! (pictures of white trim with dark wood doors would also be helpful!)

Re: White Trim with Wood Doors/Cabinets?

• I personally like the look of all white, or all wood. We have white trim and doors in our apartment, and dust really shows on it, especially in the bathroom.

It's hard deciding on the color. We are seeing a sample of our stain for our new construction later, and I'm anxious about it. Couldn't tell you why!

[color=brown]~Started a new chapter on my own 05/11~[/color]
  • We're moving into a house with this issue too.  I think I prefer either one or the other and not a mix of both.  It's a huge amount of work, but we're going to paint everything white.
  • i think if all window and door casings, floor boards, AND the doors themselves are the same, then having cabinets that are different finish is fine. but, i wouldn't have stained wood doors in/out of rooms w/white trim.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image prazenjc:

i think if all window and door casings, floor boards, AND the doors themselves are the same, then having cabinets that are different finish is fine. but, i wouldn't have stained wood doors in/out of rooms w/white trim.

This exactly. I think it would look silly to have mismatched window casings, trim, and doors but the cabinets can be whichever you prefer.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • There are tons of houses here that have white trim and wood cabinets and vice a versa. I like the contrast.

It's only weird to me when you start doing the doors wood and trim white like pp suggested.

If it was up to me, I'd do it all stained wood. It's just my style. That and white trim is nothing but a dirt trap here.

• I am an interior designer and that is something that we commonly do. ?The look of white trim with wood doors is great! ?Same goes if your windows have mullions. ?
  • Here's my "strange" wood door with white trim. ;)  I love it! (you'll have to ignore the rest of the room - it's taken before we put anything up on the walls.)

• This is SO helpful. I love the look actually and your colors above are really simlar to what we've already chosen. I'm set on the dark doors/cabinets so I think if I make all the trim for doors/windows/floor boards white it will still look really consistent and nice. Our realtor also mentioned that this is really popular in newer/higher end homes.

Follow up question; if I go with the white (which i'm leaning towards) do I stick with standard 2.75" or go with the wider 4" trim?

• We used wider trim, as to match the rooms that have the original 1900 era trim.  I say that if you can do it - go for the wider trim. :)  More of a statement.