Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

iPhone 3G vs 3Gs

Is there really a big difference? Is it worth it?

You can get a 3G refurb for $49, but there are no refurb 3Gs so that's $199.If you've used both, do you think it's worth the extra $150? Unfortunately it is DH that will be making the final decision (grrr, but I don't want to go there...) so while I want the 3Gs because it's "better" I need to have a more convincing reason than that. :)

Re: iPhone 3G vs 3Gs

• I have no idea about comparing the two, but i can tell you that I personally would never buy a refurbished phone.  I've known way too many people who end up having issues with them.  They'll go through a few different phones before finally caving and buying a new one.  If you've bought them before and have been happy then I say go for the refurb.  I have the 3Gs and would say splurge, but I'm biased because I've never used the 3G...  Huh?
    IMG_1749_2
  • Not sure about the difference in speed - but the 3G in the store (still new, not refurb) is $99 - it's 8gb.  The 3Gs has a video camera and some other little extras.  DH has the 16gb 3Gs & he is in love with it - so we don't know any different.  Side note: I don't know WHY I bought him that dad-gum phone for his birthday because he seriously is addicted to that thing.   
  • I don't know about the refurb phones, but DH and I each have a "refreshed" iPod and they work great.  Well, DH's is about a million years old now but it did work great for a long time.

I got my 3G (16MB) in April and love it.  It does pretty much everything a 3Gs will do except video, though there are apps out there for the 3G that will make it do a sort-of video.  The OS is the same.  I don't think the speed is all that much faster, since you're limited to the speed of AT&T's data network or WiFi, though maybe they're talking more about for game apps, etc.  Get a 3G now and say that you'll use the savings toward your next phone when they probably come out with a new one in a year or so whenever AT&T finally upgrades to a 4G network.  I don't think it's worth the price difference otherwise.

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Dh has the 3g and I have the 3gs. Difference is video camera and the ability to copy and paste.
  • image mcurban:
    Dh has the 3g and I have the 3gs. Difference is video camera and the ability to copy and paste.

The dude at the ATT store said they both did it now?? But he was also a first class DB who treated me like an idiot every time I asked a question. Which is why I went to another ATT store, where they were much better but I didn't think to ask that question again.

Cause that could be pretty important.

ETA: I meant the C&P, not video.

• I had the 3gs before hubby got one and he coveted mine.

it's faster to read mail and stuff. It takes videos. it hold more app screens. I'd go to the apple store and ask, att people usually are not the best to chat with from our previous attempts at getting info out of them.

~Little Dude's Blog~

~Little Dude's Lil is on the way~

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfaea1.aspx[/img][/url]
  • You can download the upgrade from Apple which will allow you to cut and paste.  I have the 2G (original) and I can cut and paste. 
  • ditto pp - even the 2g can copy/paste now, you just have to update the software (which is as easy as connecting it to itunes).  all iphones are at the same OS level now (3.0.1), so the difference between a 3G and 3Gs will be video and actual hardware speed.  common analogy would be when you add memory to your computer - everything runs faster.  opening a program, switching between programs, typing, etc.  they're not talking about network speed, but hardware speed. 

if you get the refurb $49, does that count against your upgrade eligibility for the future?  if so, then i'd get the best that's out there because you'll be stuck with it for 2 years.  that refurbed iphone would be 3 years old by then, and it'll be hurting. 

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The video capability alone is worth it to me!