Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Best place to compare phones in person?

Today is The Day. DH is eligible for a phone upgrade, and since mine is not only crapping out but also not meeting my needs for the business, I get the upgrade. He'll get my upgrade come March, since his Blackberry is still doing it's job (now that he bought a new battery).

I'm 99% sure that I want an iPhone, but he wants me to get a Nokia e71. I really want to go somewhere I can see them in person and use them, try them out a little bit. My biggest thing is internet- my business is almost ENTIRELY run online so I need to be able to view things as I would on a computer. My site's back-end, my wholesalers, web based forums (typical forums, not Nest style although that would also be nice ;). Other than that the only other thing I really need mobile access to is Outlook, which I know any smartphone will have, right?

I use a few excel files and some PDF's too, which would be nice to be able to have on there, but that would just be a bonus. 

Oh! And easy to sync with my laptop.

I know most of those questions can be answered by the phone sales people, but writing it out helped me clarify what I need. :)

So to recap- where is the best place to go mess around with these in person where I can really explore all the features and capabilities (ie, the phone are actually hooked up and usable instead of simulations)? ATT store? Best Buy?

Re: Best place to compare phones in person?

• att store.  they are all connected to the network there.

DH loves his iphone.  I love my blackberry 8900.  the iphone has a better browser - so if browsing is muy important to you - then that may be your best bet. 

[<b>edited by:</b> CrazyNLove at 2:42 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, Sep 03 2009]
    also - i am only speaking about my blackberry - but i can open any type of Office file - excel, word, ppt, and I can open PDFs, too.  I'm sure the iphone lets you - but if for whatever reason it doesn't by default - rest assured there is an app somewhere that you can get to allow it.

• Also ask about the whole connecting to your outlook and viewing excel and word. I have an old I phone and I *think* that the new ones do this but I've never seen someone with outlook set up.
  • Yeah, I already know the Blackberry's don't meet my needs. It works great for DH, but so much of what I do is internet based and the browser just isn't fully capable.

But, since DD is home sick (day 2) from DC I'm also off work and on my way up to the ATT store! Thanks!

I made a list of what I need to be able to do and I'm just gonna have the guy at  the store give me a rundown on how to do them on each phone.

• Ya that's what I was saying. The iphone has a better browser than the blackberry.  In fact, the iphone has the best browser period.  Luckily I don't need to browse a lot on my phone - that's why the blackberry is a-ok for me.  i'm sure the iphone is what u need. 
  • image CrazyNLove:
    Ya that's what I was saying. The iphone has a better browser than the blackberry.  In fact, the iphone has the best browser period.  Luckily I don't need to browse a lot on my phone - that's why the blackberry is a-ok for me.  i'm sure the iphone is what u need. 

Turns out the Blackberry Bold has a different browser than the others and it would work well. If it weren't for the $300 price tag. Tongue Tied Plus it's really big and a PITA to type, and I don't need all the other capabilities.

However, my site is apparently iPhone enabled which ironically strips some of the capabilities I need. I was about to get really discouraged in the store! Tom was able to disable the iPhone stuff though, and make it so my back end would function properly. 

The Nokia doesn't work any better for my needs than the Shine I currently have. It's way cooler and does more stuff, but not the stuff I need. 

I sent all this to DH in an e-mail a bit ago, and since he's the keeper of the checkbook we'll see what he says. But I should be getting a dang iPhone shortly!