Fashion & Beauty

Tips on curling fine hair??

I need tips on what products to use on thin hair that will not hold a curl.  My hair doesn't curl with hairspray, it just falls flat with one little wave in the middle of it.  Please advise as to what products will keep a wave in my hair for an event.  Also, recommendations for a curling iron would be helpful too.  I want a look like the picture below.  Something that doesn't have that hot roller curl but more of messy waves.  Thanks in advance!  Ashlee Simpson - Long sideswept bangs

Re: Tips on curling fine hair??

• I have fine hair and use hot rollers to get that look.  Before I dry my hair I put mousse in it, blowdry then roll it in the hot rollers.  I heat up the rollers for at least 30 minutes, so they are super hot, then take a section of hair and wrap it around the roller, holding the roller vertical, and rolling the hair from the bottom up.  Leave them in as long as possible, very lightly finger combo to give it a messier look, then use a ton of aeresol- regular hairspray weighs it down. 

Another option is to use a 1/2 inch barrel curling iron, and spray your hair as you are rolling it around the curling iron.  The curls will be a little stiff, but just finger comb a little, and it should stay.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • whatever you use to curl your hair, make sure you start at the root and then work it toward the bottom, that makes it hold better and not be flat on top.
    ?Hoping to Adopt & FTA?

Latest Post- Jessica Simpson Birthing at Home?

• Ditto PP.  Also, have you tried curling your hair with a flat iron?  That's what my hair stylist did for my wedding and the curl stayed in much much longer than any curling iron I've ever used...even with 98 degree weather and 85% humidity.

My hair holds curl well with a curling iron and no humidity, but the only way to get it to stay on hot and humid days is with a flat iron. 

• My hair is very fine and I curl it with a flat iron. I use Tresemme's Curl Activator spray. I first dry my hair with mousse then spray this on in sections. You have to brush through it at the same time as running a blow dryer over it. It dries non-sticky. Then I curl the hair. After each section, I mistt very lightly with the spray again. It keeps the curl all day and doesn't make it crunchy. For a cheap product, it's pretty amazing.
  • My hairdresser tried curling my hair with a flat iron and all that happened was a big ugly crease. My hair does not like to curl.

However, there are two things I swear by:

-Caruso Steam Rollers

-Redken Guts Mousse

The only things that work for me.

• If your hair creased when she tried curling it with a flat iron, it is likely that she wasn't curling it correctly.  You have to use a flat iron with rounded edges and you have to move it through the hair in one movement, twisting your wrist as you pull it down.  If done incorrectly, you can definitely get creases. 

It's actually tough to do on your own, but definitely possible...just takes a lot of practice.  I recommend watching youtube video tutorials before doing it.

• I have fine hair and it used to not hold curls what so ever. I did find that having a better curling iron and the way it is curled makes all the difference. I used to use a silver conair curling iron which did nothing for me. I now use a gold barreled one (forgot the brand) that I bought from walmart. All I do is spray some Tresseme hair spray and curl from the root. How to do this: Open the iron and wrap your hair around the barrel starting at the roots. Clamp and hold for a little bit and gently release.
  • image hopscotch.:

If your hair creased when she tried curling it with a flat iron, it is likely that she wasn't curling it correctly.  You have to use a flat iron with rounded edges and you have to move it through the hair in one movement, twisting your wrist as you pull it down.  If done incorrectly, you can definitely get creases. 

It's actually tough to do on your own, but definitely possible...just takes a lot of practice.  I recommend watching youtube video tutorials before doing it.

I would probably agree with you, except that she did my friends hair like that right before mine, and it came out great.

She did the same thing on my hair, and nothing. 

Actually, everytime I've gone to have my hair done (different stylists) everyone always makes a comment as to how impossible it is to style.

I've finally just accepted my straight hair. At least it does straight and shiny people.

• Ahhh got it.  I know some stylists are new to the whole curling hair with a flat iron thing (mine was when I came to her with the idea for my wedding), so some aren't 100% sure on how to do it properly.  Sounds like it is just an issue with your hair then.

I have fine, straight hair too.  It was super long for the wedding, but I felt like I was at the point where it looked best curled and was spending a ridiculous amount of time curling it with a curling iron (because I never was able to do it successfully with a flat iron myself) and then the curl would fall out soon after.  I ended up cutting mine into a long bob (slightly longer in the front) and hits just past my collar bones and am now trying to embrace my straight hair.  Big Smile

• Hot tools curling iron is the best! You might want to try just a bit smaller barrel size so when the curl falls it's what you want. I do this for weddings all the time.