Pets

bump on gums of cat? normal? ETA: Pictures

sooo i was looking at my cat's mouth today for the heck of it and checking out her gums...and i noticed a lump on her left lower gum..right by where her canine tooth comes down...of course I freaked...then I looked on the other side and there is an identical lump...so I'm assuming this is normal and not a tumor or anything...but how have i not noticed this before? do your cats mouths have these? could it be glands or something? or should i be worried?

TIA!

ETA pictures: (sorry they suck I had to move super quick as mika wasn't too happy with me taking these)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit my blog about my family's experiments in eco-living

Re: bump on gums of cat? normal? ETA: Pictures

• ok i just looked up cat anatomy..definitely not where a gland is located. hmmmm

• can someone please look in their cat's mouth for me? (if your cat lets you touch his/her mouth) and see if they have little bumps on their front lower gums...where the top canine comes down and hits the gum?

thank you soooo much!

• I think it's normal, but I don't want to tell you it is and then later find out your cat needed to go to the vet.

Is it like this? Where there is an indention for the top tooth and it comes out where the bottom tooth is? 

It might be worth a vet visit for the peace of mind. 

• mmm not really, maybe i'll try and take a picture at some point. it's just weird that it's exactly the same on both sides...looks like it's supposed to be that way, but who knows.

• Does it look anything like that (disregard the stuff about tartar, etc) 

• I'm wondering if you are just seeing part of the canine teeth under the gums? 

• blah crap no it doesn't. thanks for looking that stuff up though...im going to go try and take a picture and then add it

• It didn't look weird to me, but I checked two of my cats' mouths, and they don't look like that. I feel like I've seen it on other cats, though. Maybe it's some kind of callous from the upper canines rubbing the lower gums?
  • Daisygirl:  This is exactly what my cat has. So, like you, I started looking on the web to see if it was normal. I've had many cats in the past and this is the first time I've seen it, but it might be one of two reasons.  She is the first female cat I've had, so maybe it's that OR her mouth/jaw is small which makes the top teeth "rub" on the bottom. These are just guesses, but she certainly isn't in any pain and eats fine. Also, these bumps aren't full of liquid or hard and sore looking, they are just bumps of soft tissue.

Have you found any other suggestions since you posted this? Kim

• One of my 3 cats has this. I took my cat to the vet for it, but he said it was completely normal. From what I remember he described it as a soft callus.My cat's is located on the bottom gums, slightly behind where his top canine teeth fall.I tried to take a picture, but his gums are black and pink and it's impossible to see in a photo.