Decorating & Renovating

Dust - anyone have an uncontrollable amount?

help me control the dust in our house. its ridiculous how much dust we collect. any tips?

Re: Dust - anyone have an uncontrollable amount?

• Change your AC/furnace filter monthly. We were buying those expensive allergy ones that you only had to replace every three months. They did nothing..there's way less dust in our house now that we just buy the cheapies and toss monthly.

I vacuum a lot which seems to help.

I also dust with soapy water on a damp rag...wet dusty is better for me than dry dusting.

But in this house, I live on a dusty farm off a gravel road where the windows are open all summer..so I just deal with it! ;) It's everywhere.

• image dairygirl19:

Change your AC/furnace filter monthly. We were buying those expensive allergy ones that you only had to replace every three months. They did nothing..there's way less dust in our house now that we just buy the cheapies and toss monthly.

I vacuum a lot which seems to help.

I also dust with soapy water on a damp rag...wet dusty is better for me than dry dusting.

But in this house, I live on a dusty farm off a gravel road where the windows are open all summer..so I just deal with it! ;) It's everywhere.

Ditto this.  Also when it gets bad (like after our remodel) we had our ducts professionally cleaned and that helped a ton.

• I second both of the ladies above me!

Also- get a small air filter / cleaner ( i am lost for the word).

It will help remove the dust / pollen from the air before you breath it in or it settles on your furniture.

• Hrmm, I don't have central A/C or duct work so where the hell is all my dust coming from.  We don't have carpets either!

I swear I could dust the house top to bottom every day.  
  • image naylon511:
    Hrmm, I don't have central A/C or duct work so where the hell is all my dust coming from.  We don't have carpets either!

I swear I could dust the house top to bottom every day.  

ditto this exactly! i will look into an air purifier. our bedroom is the biggest dust trap! i will also try the wet dusting. i dont like a lot of knick knack around, the dust is on our walls, our floors, ugh, sooo much work. i need to add a vaccuum day to my schedule too. maybe a swiffer.

• My mom swears it's just Ca. :-)

I don't have grass in my backyard, just a big dirt pit, so you can just imagine how much I dust I have! I have no tips other than dust/vacuum often!

• image egs_sweetness:

My mom swears it's just Ca. :-)

I don't have grass in my backyard, just a big dirt pit, so you can just imagine how much I dust I have! I have no tips other than dust/vacuum often!

This is the root of our problem. The dogs like to lounge under the big tree in the backyard that has a huge dirt pit around it and then track all that fine dirt inside. 

Not having carpets makes it all the more noticeable since the fibers aren't there to trap it.  But now you know how much nastiness is hiding in what seem like such nice, plush carpets. 

We don't have ours under control, but I can commiserate with you.  My plan is to plant monkey grass under the tree where grass won't grow to help cut down on the root of the problem.