Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Selling a car

I have a person interested in buying my car.  I've never sold before (always traded-in) and was looking for advice.  What do I need to do about the title, insurance, etc?  Any other pieces of advice? 

Re: Selling a car

• Do you know/ trust them?  If not, require cash.  Also, is the car paid off?  If so you can trade title for cash.  We've always had a title when we sold; that avoids the bank involvement. 

TXDoT Vehicle Transfer Info

We always fill out the paperwork and have them file it bc a fee has to be paid.  However in the interim, just after you sell the vehicle, you can do the online file that at least shows you sold the vehicle which minimizes your responsibility until they file the actual paperwork.

We usually just drop our insurance a week after we sell the vehicle, after doing the online transfer thing.

• image FireChiefsBride:

Do you know/ trust them?  If not, require cash.  Also, is the car paid off?  If so you can trade title for cash.  We've always had a title when we sold; that avoids the bank involvement. 

TXDoT Vehicle Transfer Info

We always fill out the paperwork and have them file it bc a fee has to be paid.  However in the interim, just after you sell the vehicle, you can do the online file that at least shows you sold the vehicle which minimizes your responsibility until they file the actual paperwork.

We usually just drop our insurance a week after we sell the vehicle, after doing the online transfer thing.

Thanks!!  Yes, I know the person I am selling to.  They are paying cash anyway, so it's not an issue.  I wasn't really planning on selling but their daughter needs a car and mine is what they wanted and I was planning on buying new in a month anyway.  I'll definitely check out the TX DOT site. 

• There's also paperwork on that website I'd also fill out and mail in and have them do their part on it.  It's basically saying you're selling the car to them.  That way if anything funny happens with your car and they never registered it in their name, there's no hassle.  We kept getting notices about an old car and it was a pretty big annoyance to have to prove we sold it.