Pets

Will dogs starve themselves because they don't like their food?

We are dog-sitting a dog that I think normally only gets people food.  The owners brought over a case of wet food, a little kibble and a bunch of pepperoni.  They also told us what fast food he likes.  I really don't want to give him the pepperoni because he already hads the smelliest and loosest poops I've ever seen.  But he just won't touch the wet stuff and I have no idea what kind of dry food it is.

He's not acting very hungry yet even though he's missed 3 feedings.  I think he will eventually break down and eat the wet when he gets hungry enough, but I'm not sure.  Of course I also think he's not eating much because he is missing his family.  Can he really make himself sick like this? And ideas?

Re: Will dogs starve themselves because they don't like their food?

• I'm sure it is a combination of not being used to wet food, being in a strange place and missing his family.

When we board Gman he only eats 1/4 of what he usually does at home.  This last time he was boarded for 11 days and lost 7lbs because he doesn't eat when we're not there.  

The dog will eat when it is hungry enough.  

• image fabkc:

Of course I also think he's not eating much because he is missing his family.  Can he really make himself sick like this? And ideas?

This exactly. My brothers dog does/used to do this whenever faced w/change, a new situation...the strangest things. She'd get SO bad, you could hear her tummy growling! Then she'd puke b/c she was SO hungry, but for some reason, her way of coping (w/the stress, situation, routine chance) was to not eat!

Its so sad!

I hope you can find something that he will eat! You can try cooking up plain white rice & browning some hamburger...thats bland enough that it shouldn't cause any more gas/bad poop, but for some reason dogs find super tasty!

GL!

Cooper age 8, Taylor age 14

imageimage
  • Our lab growing up would eat anything and everything... except when we went away camping. She pretty much wouldn't eat for the entire week, even though she was still with us. The change in environment just threw her for a loop.

Pretty sad that they feed their dog fast food. Yikes.

imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • pepperoni?!? they are lucky they haven't made their dog seriously ill!

• We dogsit for a dog who won't eat a single bite of food when his owners are away, and he's a little dog, 20lbs maybe.  He won't eat anything, not steak, not liver, not kibble.  He doesn't act stressed in any way other than the eating, he sleeps in our bed, knows us, loves our dogs...but won't eat.

He never seems to lose much weight in that week so I guess he has storage...

• image mainerocks:

Pretty sad that they feed their dog fast food. Yikes.

I am biting my tongue on many things this week.

• GBCKGBCK
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker

when we're gone, Dawg won't eat for people...exception being if it's in her kong.

So she eats one kong's worth of kibble--because that's a GAME, it's not eating.

That way she can continue her "I miss my people" emo-food strike :-P

Might try that?