New Jersey Nesties

neighbor complaining about our dog barking

Our neighbor just came over complaining about Murphy(our chocolate lab)   I had EI here and we were developing Danny's IFSP.   One of the people here was a little afraid of dogs so I put Murphy in the yard before letting them in the house.   Murphy stood on  our deck the entire time, whining barking and jumping.   He wanted to come in badly.

The meeting lasted 20 minutes.    Halfway through the meeting, the neighbor rang the door and demanded I bring him in.   She said he was barking right under her window and she couldn't hear her TV.    I explained that I was in the middle of a meeting arranging speech therapy for Danny and we were almost about to wrap things up and then I would bring him in.   She said but he's bothering me and that I need to bring him in now.   I explained again that he would be in the house in a few minutes once the meeting was over.   I apologized several times and she stormed off in a huff.

What else could I have done?   He wasn't near her window..he was on the deck at our door(which is more in the middle of our property)    She has complained once before about his barking(he was in the yard to pee and started barking at something)   I wasn't home and DH was doing something with Danny and didn't get to the yard right away...normally when he barks we yell at him and make him come in.   He was barking for a couple minutes and she came over to complain then and said he is always barking all day long in the yard.    I'm worried she is going to throw tainted meat over the fence or something...yes, she is that type of person who would do something like that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: neighbor complaining about our dog barking

• that's a little over the top... god when i think about how much barking we put up w/ from the neighbor's dogs... definitely not after 10 minutes of annoyance would i complain... more like 2 years, lol.

anyway my friend has this problem and she has a citronella bark collar for when he has to be outside and they're not home. 

• I know you will hate to hear this but she has every right to complain. You have your reason for having your dog outside but 20 minutes of barking is 18 minutes too much. You are lucky she didn't call the police.

?

and if you are worried that she will throw tainted meat over the fence then you need to do something pronto to train your dog not to bark.?

• I guess you could have brought him in and put him in a bedroom.  Then if he's still barking he's just annoying you, the owner, and not a neighbor?  But it takes a lot for me to complain about something like that, so either she was really really bothered, or she is a "complainer" by nature.  She btter not intentionally harm your dog!

Ryan John ~ July 30, 2008 ~ 3:33 am ~ 9 lbs 4 oz, 22 inches

Connor Nicholas ~ May 5, 2012 ~ 7:47 pm ~ 10 lbs 11 oz, 22.5 inches
  • image wrysmyguy:

I know you will hate to hear this but she has every right to complain. You have your reason for having your dog outside but 20 minutes of barking is 18 minutes too much. You are lucky she didn't call the police.

and if you are worried that she will throw tainted meat over the fence then you need to do something pronto to train your dog not to bark. 

ditto the first part.  luckily i'm not usually home during the day or i would probably call the cops about my neighbor's dog. 

proof that i make babies. jack, grace, and ben, in no particular order
    image image image
  • after 10 minutes?  seriously?  that is a little much.  as long as it isn't something that happens everyday for hours on end, I honestly think she should get a grip.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • I think once she heard your reason for having him outside, she should have been a lot more understanding. That's pretty bitchy for her to still complain after she heard the reason.

Maybe you can go over there later & "apologize" again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What if Danny were trying to nap and it was her dog?  20 minutes of barking is a lot... I think she could have been nicer about it, but I agree with the others that she has the right to complain. I'm sorry.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh good god, I hate complainers! We have a lady that is a foster home for Rescue dogs next door. She gets all types of dogs some you never know are there and others bark all day and all night. Everyone in the area knows the wonderful thing she does for these animals and NO ONE complains. She doesn't have any dog long enough to really train it and people just deal. Thank goodness we have kind animal lovers in the neighborhood.

• This was an isolated incident...we don't leave him in the yard normally. Normally if he's in the yard to do his business and starts barking we bring him right in.   She's accused DH about 2 months ago that Murphy's always in the yard barking.   Ever since then I've kept a log of his barking in the yard.    If he starts to bark, we bring him in right away..we are normally out there as soon as he starts barking.

And these are the same neighbors who blast music at all hours or have had such loud screaming matches that we have had to close our windows and turn on the AC.   We could have called the cops on them plenty of times and haven't.  

• Sorry Amanda that sucks!  I'm seriously suprised that there are people who would call the cops for under a half an hour of barking.  Really?!  Aren't there more important things for cops to be doing?  I could TOTALLY see if you were inconsiderate and let this happen all the time but for this one time?  After you explained about your meeting she should have just given you a break, what a biotch. 

Anyway, since she obviously isn't going to give you a break I would gate him somewhere inside the house next time!

• I have had dogs my entire life and never had this problem. When my dog barks I let her in period. You could have put her in a bedroom and closed the door if necessary.  I think 20 mins of barking would be annoying. The fact that she complained after a few mins is ridiculous if it was really only a few mins, it sounds like it was 20 mins.

And some prior post said their neighbor leaves their dog outside when they are not home?! I would call animal control or the police and complain. That is stupid and cruel. I have a neighbor who did that and one of the dogs got loose and started roaming the neighborhood, I tried to contact them and the idiots where not even home. So annoying.

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image akayf:

This was an isolated incident...we don't leave him in the yard normally. Normally if he's in the yard to do his business and starts barking we bring him right in.   She's accused DH about 2 months ago that Murphy's always in the yard barking.   Ever since then I've kept a log of his barking in the yard.    If he starts to bark, we bring him in right away..we are normally out there as soon as he starts barking.

And these are the same neighbors who blast music at all hours or have had such loud screaming matches that we have had to close our windows and turn on the AC.   We could have called the cops on them plenty of times and haven't.  

just to point out, she didn't call the cops either.  but lucky for you, you have a higher noise tolerance than she does.  if you don't like the noise coming from her place, say something.  but don't be surprised when someone complains about a dog barking for 20 minutes.  it's annoying.

image image image
  • next time the therapist is there, can you put him in a bedroom inside the house with the door closed instead of putting him out? sounds like he just wants to know who is in there with his pack, but i can understand why he needed to be put out. it's a tough one. we're lucky that leo's not a big barker, but he picks the worst times to go nuts (like when we're camping and people walk past us. lovely)

good luck!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image my first baby
  • Ugh I hate those type of people.  Pepper is the same way.  She is a barker. If I have someone come over the house and I know Pepper might be a nut, I will put her in the backyard for a bit.  Yes she will bark and stuff. My neighbor complained.  Said they were going to call the cops.  I looked up the noise ordinances of my town.  My neighbors really couldnt do a thing.  Pepper was barking during the day not at 11pm or some other awful hour.  We only throw her in the backyard if we need to.  Check out the noise ordiances in your town. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image laurenpetro:

just to point out, she didn't call the cops either.  but lucky for you, you have a higher noise tolerance than she does.  if you don't like the noise coming from her place, say something.  but don't be surprised when someone complains about a dog barking for 20 minutes.  it's annoying.

I know a barking dog can be annoying...and I hate being THAT person with the PITA dog....but it was an isolated incident...I apologized to her and next time I see her, I will say something again(i'm not making a special trip over to say something) 

Honestly, she is just a very nasty person.   When she came over a couple months ago because DH didn't bring him in right away like we usually do(he was doing something with Danny, I can't remember what since it was so long ago, but it was something he couldn't just drop everything and bring him in the second he started barking...DH said he was barking for less than 3 minutes...she came over complaining 15 minutes or so AFTER DH brought the dog in) she made a comment that she was tired of Murphy barking all day long in the yard...this was during the school year...so both DH and I were at work and Murphy was crated in the house.   She claimed then that we left him out all day barking, which is totally untrue...and the reason why I now log anytime we bring him in because he started to bark at something.     She also commented that next on her list where the dogs across the street  because she is tired of them barking at her through the window everytime she walks out of her house.      She glares out the window when Danny and I are out in the yard playing because apparently his laughter is too loud.   

• image akayf:
    image laurenpetro:

I know a barking dog can be annoying...and I hate being THAT person with the PITA dog....but it was an isolated incident...I apologized to her and next time I see her, I will say something again(i'm not making a special trip over to say something) 

Honestly, she is just a very nasty person.   When she came over a couple months ago because DH didn't bring him in right away like we usually do(he was doing something with Danny, I can't remember what since it was so long ago, but it was something he couldn't just drop everything and bring him in the second he started barking...DH said he was barking for less than 3 minutes...she came over complaining 15 minutes or so AFTER DH brought the dog in) she made a comment that she was tired of Murphy barking all day long in the yard...this was during the school year...so both DH and I were at work and Murphy was crated in the house.   She claimed then that we left him out all day barking, which is totally untrue...and the reason why I now log anytime we bring him in because he started to bark at something.     She also commented that next on her list where the dogs across the street  because she is tired of them barking at her through the window everytime she walks out of her house.      She glares out the window when Danny and I are out in the yard playing because apparently his laughter is too loud.   

ok, but the fact is that instead of keeping the dog in a bedroom (because it would be annoying for you with him barking) you instead chose to make it everyone else's problem by having him bark outside for the world to hear.

sorry, but i think this is unfair.  i get it that this is just another reason why you don't like this woman and that you think she's a biotch, but at the end of the day it's not her responsibility to listen to another person's barking dog. 

ETA:  if you have to go so far as to keep a log of when your dog is barking, why would you put him outside, potentially in harm's way?  why not just put him in the bathroom/bedroom in the first place?  if you're putting him out in the yard and you already know you have a biotchy neighbor, this is to be expected.

image image image
  • considering all the women on here who complain when a dog barks, neighbors play music, construction happens or a truck drives by when their precious baby is sleeping I am suprised at these responses. I am sorry but you were at fault. 20 minutes of a dog barking and I would be pissed as well.

• image laurenpetro:

ok, but the fact is that instead of keeping the dog in a bedroom (because it would be annoying for you with him barking) you instead chose to make it everyone else's problem by having him bark outside for the world to hear.

sorry, but i think this is unfair.  i get it that this is just another reason why you don't like this woman and that you think she's a biotch, but at the end of the day it's not her responsibility to listen to another person's barking dog. 

ETA:  if you have to go so far as to keep a log of when your dog is barking, why would you put him outside, potentially in harm's way?  why not just put him in the bathroom/bedroom in the first place?  if you're putting him out in the yard and you already know you have a biotchy neighbor, this is to be expected.

If something like this happens again, I will just keep him in the bedroom....honestly putting him in the yard was just the 1st thing that came to mind when I realized that the EI lady was afraid of dogs.

I started logging since she accused us of keeping him out there all day long, which is a flat out lie  and if she ever did call the cops or animal control to file a complaint, I had some sort of record.   

I apologized to her repeatedly and explained that I would be bringing him in shortly.    I honestly did not think Murphy was going to that upset over being in the yard...he normally loves playing outside or just getting sun on the deck.   I did not expect him to stay at the door, whining and barking to come in.   I hate that I was just the bad neighbor but this was an isolated incident that won;t be happening again...I'll just lock him in another room in the future...lesson learned.  

• Good thing ypu're not my neighbors & techinally the police will not ticket until there are 3 complaints past 10pm.  My dogs bark - ALOT.  Mugsy is a guard dog - so when my neighbor is outside yap-yapping to the UPS guy & then he hangs out for another 20 minutes in his truck across my driveway &  my TWO dogs are barking non-stop - there's a reason.

Dogs bark, it's they're way of communicating & I'd be damned if I had to buy one of those useless citronella collars (it takes aday or so for the dog to figure out how to hold their head, bark & not get sprayed).  Sometimes it is necessary to put my dogs out in the yard if someone is over - just like they go in my bedroom or our finished basement....just all depends where & when the person needs to go.

Some people's kids make too much noise, in my opinion, you wouldn't see me knocking on their door to complain I can't watch tv.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image akayf:

This was an isolated incident...we don't leave him in the yard normally. Normally if he's in the yard to do his business and starts barking we bring him right in.   She's accused DH about 2 months ago that Murphy's always in the yard barking.   Ever since then I've kept a log of his barking in the yard.    If he starts to bark, we bring him in right away..we are normally out there as soon as he starts barking.

See and this is when I would march my butt over to her front door and tell her that she was being too loud and I had to close my windows. But I'm a biatch so....

Like Missy said, Dogs Bark. It's what they do. I agree that from now on I would just put the dog in a room in a situation like today but overall your dog has the right to be in your yard. Unfortunately your biotch of a neighbor has the right to complain about it.

So...like I said, the next time her music is too loud march on over and tell her so. Maybe she'll get the hint or maybe you'll start ww3 but at least you'll be on equal footing.

• image kellyann1972:

considering all the women on here who complain when a dog barks, neighbors play music, construction happens or a truck drives by when their precious baby is sleeping I am suprised at these responses. I am sorry but you were at fault. 20 minutes of a dog barking and I would be pissed as well.

I know I've complained about my old noisy neighbors from hell a lot in the past. I'm siding with the OP in this case b/c I think the difference is when the incident is allegedly a one time thing versus a daily or weekly recurring thing. If my old neighbors had only made noise for 20 minutes on one day, and not for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2.5 yrs, I would have kissed their feet. lol

• image bosha711:
    image kellyann1972:

considering all the women on here who complain when a dog barks, neighbors play music, construction happens or a truck drives by when their precious baby is sleeping I am suprised at these responses. I am sorry but you were at fault. 20 minutes of a dog barking and I would be pissed as well.

I know I've complained about my old noisy neighbors from hell a lot in the past. I'm siding with the OP in this case b/c I think the difference is when the incident is allegedly a one time thing versus a daily or weekly recurring thing. If my old neighbors had only made noise for 20 minutes on one day, and not for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2.5 yrs, I would have kissed their feet. lol

not to nitpick, but if this was a one time thing the OP wouldn't be keeping a log on her own dog.

image image image
  • image laurenpetro:
    image bosha711:
    image kellyann1972:

not to nitpick, but if this was a one time thing the OP wouldn't be keeping a log on her own dog.

...hence my use of the word "allegedly" Wink

I am going by the OP saying in this post that it was an isolated incident.

• Dogs bark. Unless you live in siberia, you're going to hear it at some point in your life.

• I've said it before, I log because she accused us of keeping him outside barking literally all day long for hours on end.   She named specific times that were impossible for him to be in the yard....they were times when both DH and I were at work and the dog is crated in the house when no one is home so how could have it been him?   Unless he somehow figured out how to get out of his locked crate and through the 2 locked back doors and then get back in before I got home.... I started logging due to her previous false allegations, just to cover ourselves in case she tried to accuse us of animal cruelty.  

• image catrynn77:

Dogs bark. Unless you live in siberia, you're going to hear it at some point in your life.

Very Good Point... They are animals and we can train them as much as we want but sometimes it happens. I mean if your child is having a bad day or sick and crys alot out in the yard or is playing and screaming which we all know kids do, would you want someone to call the cops?

• image bosha711:
    image laurenpetro:
    image bosha711:
    image kellyann1972:

but it obviously wasn't an isolated incident, which is my point.  if it was she wouldn't have said that she has a log of when her dog barks. 

image image image
  • image laurenpetro:
    image bosha711:
    image laurenpetro:
    image bosha711:
    image kellyann1972:

but it obviously wasn't an isolated incident, which is my point.  if it was she wouldn't have said that she has a log of when her dog barks. 

We get it she keeps a log... She said it is cause this lady has complained when the dog wasn't even outside. This time it is the middle of the day so there is Not much that is going to happen to her even if someone called the cops.

• image mariat1978:

We get it she keeps a log... She said it is cause this lady has complained when the dog wasn't even outside. This time it is the middle of the day so there is Not much that is going to happen to her even if someone called the cops.

i get that the lady complains.  if it's gotten to the point that she needs to defend herself from this lady then maybe she shouldn't be surprised when the woman complains, or if she's really that afraid of the psycho tossing tainted meat she shouldn't have her dog outside to bark in the first place.  and it depends on the town as to what would happen.  in my old town they didn't care.  in my new one, if you have proof of a noise violation you get fined.

it's preventative ownership.  and it's respect for your neighbors.  heaven forbid.

image image image
  • If she complains again, tell her he's a dog!  They bark!  get over it!  lol

Jen. Mommy to Renae and Jillian