Decorating & Renovating

minimum bedroom dimensions?

I've got a number in mind but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

What would you look for as far as bedroom size goes for the 2nd/3rd bedrooms in a 1600 - 1700 sq foot house? A lot of plans have 10 x 10 or 10 x 11 bedrooms and I think that's on the too-small side.

Thoughts?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: minimum bedroom dimensions?

• I think the two smaller bedrooms at my dads are like 9-10' or so. They're pretty small, but they have bigger sized closets. I fit a super single waterbed in my room for a long time before I got a futon. Our second bedroom is just over 10'x10'.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • Maybe 11"x 11".  Our office, which may become a 2nd bedroom one day is 12" x 11" which is small, imo, but not tiny.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would try to push for 11 x 12. I grew up in a 10 x 11 bedroom and it was teeny, even with a twin bed.
  • I'm thinking 12 x 12 or 11'6 x 12'6...11 x 12 at a minimum. We're moving some walls around.

DH can use autocad at work so it's not a big deal for us to move stuff. 

Thanks, you're all confirming what I was thinking - I was just starting to wonder after seeing plan after plan after plan with 10 x 10 rooms.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I prefer an absolute minimum of 12x12 for a spare bedroom.  My minimum master BR size is 14x14, but I prefer something much larger. 
  • 10x10.  We had 10x10s in our first house and they were great guest rooms.  We used one as an office and had plenty of space.  I've had master bedrooms that were 12x12, so I can't imagine giving that to a guest room in a 1600 sq ft home.

You have to decide in a 1600 sq ft home what's important to you.  I want a nice sized living room so I can entertain.  I don't give a darn really about whether people staying for the weekend or toddlers have 100 sq ft or 144 sq ft to occupy.

• Ok, I'm SO confused by all the other responses.  Here's our old 10x10 guest room.  There's a closet and a nightstand to the right out of the photo.  That's a queen size bed *with* a trunk at the end of it.

I don't understand how 10x10's not big enough.

• This is our upstairs floor plan, I wouldnt' call it a minimum though

• image TarHeels&Rebels:

Ok, I'm SO confused by all the other responses.  Here's our old 10x10 guest room.  There's a closet and a nightstand to the right out of the photo.  That's a queen size bed *with* a trunk at the end of it.

See, that looks large enough to me in your photo. However, whenever I show houses, people complain that 10 x 10 isn't big enough. Our current bedrooms are all 12 x 12 (master included)...hmmmmmm.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image sjh722:
    image TarHeels&Rebels:

Ok, I'm SO confused by all the other responses.  Here's our old 10x10 guest room.  There's a closet and a nightstand to the right out of the photo.  That's a queen size bed *with* a trunk at the end of it.

See, that looks large enough to me in your photo. However, whenever I show houses, people complain that 10 x 10 isn't big enough. Our current bedrooms are all 12 x 12 (master included)...hmmmmmm.

Could it be because it's crammed full of other people's junk? lol Stick out tongue

Could you lay paper grocery bags or magazines on the floor in one of your guest rooms to visualize losing 2ft on 2 sides?

• image TarHeels&Rebels:

Could you lay paper grocery bags or magazines on the floor in one of your guest rooms to visualize losing 2ft on 2 sides?

Ooh, this is a good idea. Maybe I'll try doing that and dragging the furniture to the 10 x 10 space to see what it feels like. (Because my rooms certainly aren't full of junk! :P)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say at least 11 x 11 or 12 x 11. ?I think our guest room is 11 x 13, and it is a good size, but I don't think it could fit a lot more furniture. ?We just have a bed and a desk in there now, well and a nightstand.
  • image TarHeels&Rebels:

Ok, I'm SO confused by all the other responses.? Here's our old 10x10 guest room.? There's a closet and a nightstand to the right out of the photo.? That's a queen size bed *with* a trunk at the end of it.

I completely agree. 10x10 for a guest or a small child is plenty of space. Our 10x10 room has a crib, a glider & ottoman, an armoire and a changing table, plus a small toy chest and a toddler sized chair that were added later on. It's all about space management.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • 10x10 is fine for one of the rooms, but I think it's on the small size for a new house. I'd want another BR to be at least 11x11. For me, the master would have to be able to comfortably fit a king-size bed.
  • To get 3 bedrooms in a house that small, the 2nd/3rd would have to be pretty small. A lot of the house plans we looked at had larger total square footage (closer to 2000 or 2500) but the 2nd/third bedrooms were more like 9x10 or 9x11.

FWIW, our house is 2500sf and the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are roughly 12x12, which would be plenty big enough if our window and door placements were better. (sigh)

• image sjh722:

I'm thinking 12 x 12 or 11'6 x 12'6...11 x 12 at a minimum. We're moving some walls around.

DH can use autocad at work so it's not a big deal for us to move stuff. 

Thanks, you're all confirming what I was thinking - I was just starting to wonder after seeing plan after plan after plan with 10 x 10 rooms.

I was talking with our realtor about this (complaining, really), he said it's an absolute hallmark of new construction to have tiny little bedrooms and a huge master suite with room for a lounge room and gym. Maybe people just don't realise how small those 10x10 or 10x11 rooms are when they only see them empty? Or they think of a nursery or office and not a teenager living in them?

I would sacrifice size in one bedroom to get more in the other, or cut out bonus room or flex or dining space. When you're thinking of resale, a 1600 sq ft house is going to appeal to a couple or young family. They're more likely to use one bedroom as an office than a bedroom.

In the houses I've lived in fewer bigger rooms always felt more spacious than more smaller rooms.

• image TarHeels&Rebels:

That's fine if all you're doing is sleeping in it. Add a desk and a dollhouse and three preteen girls gossiping, though, and it gets tight.

• image emoflamingo:
    image TarHeels&Rebels:

I completely agree. 10x10 for a guest or a small child is plenty of space. Our 10x10 room has a crib, a glider & ottoman, an armoire and a changing table, plus a small toy chest and a toddler sized chair that were added later on. It's all about space management.

See my DD's first (and later second) nursery was 10x10 and we had less furniture and it looked packed.  I wish I had pics of it to show you guys (we lost them when our computer crashed).  We had a crib, changing table/dresser combo, a rocker, and a small toy chest and it seemed like too much.  I think a lot of it was the layout of the room.  Due to the window and closet the crib and dresser could only go on certain walls.  There was probably 6-7ft of room left between the two big pieces, but it just felt so cramped in there when we tried to play or anything.