Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gift ideas for white coat ceremony?

My SIL is starting med school (yea) and her white coat ceremony is coming up. DH and I will be attending and I'd like to get her something, but not sure what. I'm sure someone else in the family will get her a stethoscope and unless you need more than one I'm not sure it will be useful to get her one. She is not a coffee drinker. I thought about getting her new school type stuff - index cards, highlighters, a shirt with her school name on it etc, but it seems like it should be more sentimental since it is for her white coat ceremony. Any ideas?

Re: Gift ideas for white coat ceremony?

• Even if she doesn't drink coffee, does she still ever go to Starbucks? Or a smoothie place on campus? Gift cards to there would be nice. Highlighters are good. Maybe a nice pair of headphones (noise canceling).
  • Prescription pad cover? http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=828

She wouldn't be able to use it for a while, but it would show you had faith in her that she would complete her degree.

Or maybe some stylish scrubs?

• Just an fyi - her school might give her a stethoscope. I know my school does. Well an organization comes to the school and presents them to us as gifts.

Personally gift cards would be what I want as they're very practical. Maybe 1 to her favorite clothing store and then one to Target or something like that.

If you want something more personal what about a journal? You could write something on the first page. I've thought about starting a journal once I start school to help with the stress and document my feelings as I go.

That's really nice that you are getting her something!

• GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.
  • I got lots of neat stuff when I graduated dental school, a teeth related Norman Rockwell print, a monogrammed silver card holder, a Lladro. Maybe a monogrammed silver pin or keychain? A personalized notebook and clippy pen? Or even a pocket medical reference book? Good luck!   

• image Mrs.Bones:
    GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)

Oh yeah I was going to say that too!

• image Mrs.Bones:
    GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)
    Oooooh, I like this! Or gift cards, money...not as sentimental but practical for sure!
  • image cindybaf:

Or even a pocket medical reference book?

OOH this reminded me, Barnes & Noble has a really pretty leather bound edition of Gray's Anatomy.  While I'm sure she'll have her own anatomy books for school, it would still probably be a nice little momento, and it's quite pretty.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Grays-Anatomy/Henry-Gray/e/9780760722732/?itm=1

• How about a monogramed leather doctor's bag? They are really useful especially for clinical exam classes where you have to haul all your expensive stuff (otoscope etc) into school.
  • This is a gift-giving occassion?

Doh!  A good friend has her white coat ceremony in a bit over a week (pharm), and I've been invited...

• image Audette:

This is a gift-giving occassion?

Doh!  A good friend has her white coat ceremony in a bit over a week (pharm), and I've been invited...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think so since it is a big deal to the person. Plus she's moving down to my state and I wanted to get her something for moving down, but I thought the white coat would be better.
  • Wow - thanks for all the great suggestions. I was having trouble trying to think of one thing and now it is going to be tough to decide.

Thank you!!!!!

• No one was exchanging gifts (that I saw) during my white coat ceremony.  I received a few things when I graduated, but nothing before.  Are you sure it is a gift-appropriate time?
  • image Audette:

This is a gift-giving occassion?

I don't necessarily think it's a gift giving time. I'm honestly not expecting anything at my white coat ceremony. 

• I didn't think a white coat was a gift-giving ceremony.  I didn't get any at mine--nor did I expect anything.

But if you want to get a gift, maybe a pair of Crocs?  They seem like they're required for med students here.