Money Matters

Gift ideas for white coat ceremony?

My SIL is starting med school (yea) and her white coat ceremony is coming up. DH and I will be attending and I'd like to get her something, but not sure what. I'm sure someone else in the family will get her a stethoscope and unless you need more than one I'm not sure it will be useful to get her one. She is not a coffee drinker. I thought about getting her new school type stuff - index cards, highlighters, a shirt with her school name on it etc, but it seems like it should be more sentimental since it is for her white coat ceremony. Any ideas?

Re: Gift ideas for white coat ceremony?

• Even if she doesn't drink coffee, does she still ever go to Starbucks? Or a smoothie place on campus? Gift cards to there would be nice. Highlighters are good. Maybe a nice pair of headphones (noise canceling).
  • Prescription pad cover? http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=828

She wouldn't be able to use it for a while, but it would show you had faith in her that she would complete her degree.

Or maybe some stylish scrubs?

• Just an fyi - her school might give her a stethoscope. I know my school does. Well an organization comes to the school and presents them to us as gifts.

Personally gift cards would be what I want as they're very practical. Maybe 1 to her favorite clothing store and then one to Target or something like that.

If you want something more personal what about a journal? You could write something on the first page. I've thought about starting a journal once I start school to help with the stress and document my feelings as I go.

That's really nice that you are getting her something!

• GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.
  • I got lots of neat stuff when I graduated dental school, a teeth related Norman Rockwell print, a monogrammed silver card holder, a Lladro. Maybe a monogrammed silver pin or keychain? A personalized notebook and clippy pen? Or even a pocket medical reference book? Good luck!   

• image Mrs.Bones:
    GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)

Oh yeah I was going to say that too!

• image Mrs.Bones:
    GC to a day spa for a massage when she gets wacky with stress :-)
    Oooooh, I like this! Or gift cards, money...not as sentimental but practical for sure!
  • image cindybaf:

Or even a pocket medical reference book?

OOH this reminded me, Barnes & Noble has a really pretty leather bound edition of Gray's Anatomy.  While I'm sure she'll have her own anatomy books for school, it would still probably be a nice little momento, and it's quite pretty.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Grays-Anatomy/Henry-Gray/e/9780760722732/?itm=1

• How about a monogramed leather doctor's bag? They are really useful especially for clinical exam classes where you have to haul all your expensive stuff (otoscope etc) into school.
  • This is a gift-giving occassion?

Doh!  A good friend has her white coat ceremony in a bit over a week (pharm), and I've been invited...

• image Audette:

This is a gift-giving occassion?

Doh!  A good friend has her white coat ceremony in a bit over a week (pharm), and I've been invited...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think so since it is a big deal to the person. Plus she's moving down to my state and I wanted to get her something for moving down, but I thought the white coat would be better.
  • Wow - thanks for all the great suggestions. I was having trouble trying to think of one thing and now it is going to be tough to decide.

Thank you!!!!!

• No one was exchanging gifts (that I saw) during my white coat ceremony.  I received a few things when I graduated, but nothing before.  Are you sure it is a gift-appropriate time?
  • image Audette:

This is a gift-giving occassion?

I don't necessarily think it's a gift giving time. I'm honestly not expecting anything at my white coat ceremony. 

• I didn't think a white coat was a gift-giving ceremony.  I didn't get any at mine--nor did I expect anything.

But if you want to get a gift, maybe a pair of Crocs?  They seem like they're required for med students here.