Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Planning Early

I am a planner and I like to start my Christmas shopping early so I dont spend all my money at once and I can make sure I get everything I need. My big problem is Children's gifts. I need something simple that I can do for kids in the extended family that I dont know what their interests are. Last year I made Movie baskets. They had Blockbuster gift certificates, candy, popcorn etc. But I am not sure what to do this year. There are boys and girls from age 2-14.

Re: Planning Early

• Welcome to the nest :)

I'm the same way with presents, but don't know what to tell you.  In my family, we don't do extended family gifts, and in DH's, they draw names.  I can't imagine how expensive that all is - very generous of you!

• I do the same thing.  Could you do some kind of arts and crafts theme this year?  Washable paints and markers for the younger ones and maybe some models for the older ones.  There are usually accessories for the models and you could even do gift certificates for paints and glues.  You could even look for the plaster hand kits for the little ones.
  • Perhaps a game theme basket for a family game night.  I know last year during the holiday season Target sold smaller versions of popular games such as Trouble, Connect Four, Cranium, Travial Persuit, etc.  Also, typically on Black Friday they offer games at great deals. You can also order products such as conversation starter cards to add in from Table Topics.  HTH
  • I love the game idea - you can even do one game per family so you're not buying for each individual child.  Another idea is to get cute bookmarks and gift cards to borders - a lot easier to mail (if you need to) than bulky games!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image RachieTK:
    I love the game idea - you can even do one game per family so you're not buying for each individual child.  Another idea is to get cute bookmarks and gift cards to borders - a lot easier to mail (if you need to) than bulky games!

I like this idea!  And it's appropriate for all ages of kids.

• Hi ! It so nice of you to get all the kids something! Michaels has some great arts and crafts projects, maybe you could do a basket with all arts and crafty things for them to make? for the girls it could be more on the girly side with painting flowers or something like that, and for the boys maybe building a truck or something like that? I know they have the wood pieces there to work with. Good Luck!