Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bonus and 401K

I was surprised to find that my bonus was significantly lower than I anticipated.  When I went to figure out why it was b/c my 401K contribution was taken out of my bonus.  My last employer didn't do this so it came as a surprise to me, especially b/c this was a nice size bonus and the contriubution isn't insignificant. Is this standard?  I am curious what other companies do.  I can see why they would do it - it just hadn't occured to me since my previous employer didn't do this.

Re: Bonus and 401K

• I think I remember this happening to me as well, part of my bonus going into my 401K.

it's been way too long since I've actually had a bonus, so don't quote me on that.  Tongue Tied

[IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7trsf2k[/IMG]
    merry everything!
  • smb29smb29 member
    This is standard at my work.
  • I want a bonus. Sad
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • What do they do if your monthly contributions already make you hit the max?  Take it out of the bonus and then you'll have a bigger December paycheck?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ebat:
    What do they do if your monthly contributions already make you hit the max?  Take it out of the bonus and then you'll have a bigger December paycheck?

Yes.  Whenever you hit the max, they stop the contributions.  Most executives will max out early in the year if they get a bonus.  Then if you have a match, there's a whole true-up process to make sure you get the whole match.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Abrooks:
    I was surprised to find that my bonus was significantly lower than I anticipated.  When I went to figure out why it was b/c my 401K contribution was taken out of my bonus.  My last employer didn't do this so it came as a surprise to me, especially b/c this was a nice size bonus and the contriubution isn't insignificant. Is this standard?  I am curious what other companies do.  I can see why they would do it - it just hadn't occured to me since my previous employer didn't do this.

My employer does this but they give you the option to stop your 401K about 2 weeks prior and then you restart it again so that it only affects your regular pay.  Did you get it with your regular pay or at a different time? Also, they will take about 37% out of it after your 401K contribution.,

Married and it feels so good! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What is this "bonus" concept you speak of?
    Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • It's standard where I work too, but they'll send you a reminder if you want to change your contributions for that week.