Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Funny holiday traditions?

What's the funniest homemade "tradition" that's a part of your spouse/in-laws' holiday festivities? Maybe they dress up like bunnies for the annual Easter egg hunt? Have a challah bread bake-off for Yom Kippur? Post your stories below!

Re: Funny holiday traditions?

• It's not my tradition, but I have friend that family dresses up like pilgrams for thanksgiving.
  • They aren't anything special, but DH's family is not super religious, so when we forget to pray, someone always yells out "GRACE!" so that we can say we said grace before eating.

The other day we were at one of DH's aunt's house and she goes "Oh, we forgot to pray" and without thinking my MIL and I yelled just yelled out "GRACE!" immediately, and then busted up laughing....we got strange looks from everyone else, though, LOL.

• A hot topic with only 2 replies? Funny. Anyway, my inlaws had lots of holiday traditions:

• Socks in the stockings.  We've adopted this tradition.
    • As presents are opened, they would video tape it (to send to his aunt in Florida), and at the end would sing "We Wish you a Merry Christmas."
    *~*~Christina~*~*
    Wed to M on 11.05.05
    A, born July 30, 2007
    E, born April 20, 2010
  • For 50 years, pieces of a meat grinder has been passed around our family at Christmas time.  We are always creative about the packaging/wrapping, so you never know what you'll get.  Over the years, a second one was bought, so there are pieces of 2 meat grinders spread across the country.   

• Similar to the meat grinder gift (but definitely not as long), my family (both inlaws and my fam) pass around an ugly lobster sweater. We just started this tradition, since last year was our first Christmas in the States (we celebrated in Mexico all together before our wedding).

• DH's family has a pig nose they give out at Christmas.  The person who acts the most "piggish" (meaning, they're the most greedy about their gifts and wishes, etc) they get the pig nose.  They have to wear the pig nose while they open at least 1 gift, get a picture made with it, and then is in charge of picking the piggish person at the next Christmas. 

I think it's the weirdest thing.  And I got it our first married Christmas.  I was mortified.  :)
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Growing up my mom always wrapped our gifts in boxes from the kitchen, ex: cereal boxes, tea bag boxes. Now between my sister and myself at least one gift is wrapped that way. It?s funny when the paper is taken off to see a box from Lipton tea bags!

• image Nest Anni:
    What's the funniest homemade "tradition" that's a part of your spouse/in-laws' holiday festivities? Maybe they dress up like bunnies for the annual Easter egg hunt? Have a challah bread bake-off for Yom Kippur? Post your stories below!

Um, Yom Kippur is the Jewish FASTING holiday - so no one has a challah bake-off.  Sheesh!

Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • image MrsAxilla:

image Nest Anni:

Um, Yom Kippur is the Jewish FASTING holiday - so no one has a challah bake-off.  Sheesh!

Yeah... I'm pretty sure someone would get stabbed with the dough hook on Yom Kippur if we were baking off all day.  Ha!

• DH's family has Christmas "Themes". I really didn't get it at first, so when I was put on the spot about what my "theme" was I said the only thing I could think of that was cute and christmas related (reindeer). Later I found out it could be anything! I wanted to change to Penguins, but SIL already has that one. DH's theme is something to do with Airplanes, so he always gets these horribly tacky santa flying an airplane tree decorations! I hate them, but we put them on the tree b/c his family got them for him and he loves them. His face lights up when he sees them... who can deny that happiness right?
  • On my husband's dad's side of the family, we get each other really random gifts - 1980's edition of boggle from a yard sale wrapped in newspaper, broken desk mail set, a toothbrush, anything completely out of the ordinary, my MIL got my husband a garter labeled 'ris-gay' one year (in addition to normal gifts of course!). Most times, if the gifts were really off the wall, we'd hold on to it and regift it during a birthday or next Christmas. Usually it's funny, but my MIL got offended at our regifts for her bday last weekend and now we're in the dog house. It's all in good humor.

Summer is here, it's swimming time!
    [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/5771111605_6799799052_m.jpg[/IMG]
  • we watch "A Christmas Story" on TNT for 24 hours straight. The network has been doing it for the last 4yrs I think.   "......YOU CANT HAVE A BEEBEE GUN, YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT KID"
    Doctor Title Is Closer image
  • we listen to the song "Alice's Restaurant" during Thanksgiving dinner...i'm not sure why...i'll have to ask next time
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • As a kid, the children's names were drawn from a hat. Now, that we're all older than 20 - we've done the gag gift (aka chinese christmas?) thing. Everyone brings a funny gift wrapped. Everyone chooses one gift, there's one chance where it can be stolen, where you can exchange or have to pass to the left, etc... Usually the idea is taken from a jar of ideas (such as pass to left, the 4th person gets to trade anyone, the 8th person has to exchange with one on the right, etc)

We've only been doing this for about the last 4 years, but its always soooo much fun! (unless your huge matchstick lighter gets stolen by the snobby cousin and you get stuck with fluffy socks and a head towel wrap or something like that... haha)

• image DeniseandBrad:
    we watch "A Christmas Story" on TNT for 24 hours straight. The network has been doing it for the last 4yrs I think.   "......YOU CANT HAVE A BEEBEE GUN, YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT KID"

It's been longer than that - my stepbrother and I watched it together the first Christmas we were related, so...10 years, now?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Jim & Kristen ~ August 19, 2006
    Follow Me on Pinterest