Travel

What to wear on an overnight flight?

We leave for Rome at 7:15pm and don't arrive in Rome until 3:20 the next day after a layover in Amstredam.  I need to wear something I can sleep in but do not want to look sloppy when I arrive in Rome.  We will probably head straight to hotel before sightseeing.  Also, what are some cute flat shoes for touring?

Re: What to wear on an overnight flight?

• Red eyes don't impact my clothing choices. I typically would still wear a pair of nice jeans and a tailored white button up shirt, along with a sweater. If comfort is key, you could wear yoga pants or something similar.
    Hawaii
  • I typically will wear a Juicy tracksuit on flights. I sleep on flights (especially red eyes), so comfort is important. As long as the tracksuit fits nicely, then you won't look sloppy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    She's Forever Ours! Finaliaztion-12.26.12Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hehasaplanforus.blogspot.com/
  • Long sleeve tee and a jogging suit. I say long sleeve shirt just in case you want to take the jogging suite jacket off.

Nice comfty socks.

• On our flight to Europe, I wore one of those velour tracksuits.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimage Pregnancy Ticker
  • How about a summer dress with leggings and a sweater? easy, comfortable, versitile...

My best packing decision ever was really soft socks for the flight. whatever shoes you wear you will want to take them off, and nice socks really made me more comfortable.

• I always wear trouser jeans, a fitted top and a sweater/jacket.  I don't mess with wearing shoes with socks because of all of the shoes off security measures.  I wear ballet flats or sandals.  If you want to pack socks in your carry on, that might be a good idea because feet tend to get cold on flights. 

Also, have you been to Europe before and were you planning on sightseeing the day that you arrive?  You might want to consider taking the first day easy.  Jet lag can be pretty awful.  I've done the transatlantic flight several times now and I still have to rest up on the first day.

• I wear yoga/track pants a tank and hoodie in summer and then change at the airport when I get there. In winter, I wear a really comfy sweater dress and leggings.
  • I wear comfy clothes and layers for a long flight.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

After 3 years living abroad, we are back in NOVA.
  • My Privo flats are great for vacation.  I wore them in London, all over Croatia and on our trip to Chile.  They were even comfy when my feet were super swollen and sore from our flight to London. 

A PP suggested wearing a dress.  This might sound too "fancy" but its really comfy and less restrictive than pants. 

No matter what you wear, you will still look like a zombie when you get to Rome.  I think its the nature of long distance air travel  :)  Its pretty much the only time that you resemble your passport photo! 

Take a change of clothes with you on the flight plus some basic beauty stuff (toothbrush and paste, lotion, antibacterial wipes, etc).  If you are really concerned about looking somewhat human, you can hit up the bathroom before you land to freshen up a bit OR do a little freshing up during your layover in Amsterdam.

• Sounds like we just made a very similar flight to Rome. ?I wore a long (ankle-length) cotton dress from JCrew layered with a cardigan and scarf. ?I wore Born flip flops on the flight, but quickly put on my socks once on the flight and got comfortable. ?

I did not wear the dress again while in Rome, Florence, or Como, so it was still in good shape to wear on our return flight. ?Hope that helps.?

Tiffanie?

• I took 3 pairs of shoes. ?My favorite were gold Born flip flops I found on sale at Macy's. ?They were so comfortable, and I found myself wearing them almost everyday. ?I also took Privo flats for days of long walks and hiking. I only wore them 3 times during our 12 day trip. ?Then I took a pair of t-strap, flat Calvin Klein sandals to wear at night to dinner. ?I wore the CK sandals every night. ?
  • I typically wear yoga pants and a comfy, but fitted tshirt w/ a sweater, change of socks and change of panties in my carryon - sweater if I need it & the other two just make me feel cleaner. Plus, I put my toothbrush and paste, a little mascara and a gloss or something in my carryon to feel/look a little fresher upon arrival.
  • I like dark linen pants or a linen/cotton pant blend. ?They are incredibly soft and comfy for when you are sleeping, but they are a little more stylish than a track suit or yoga pants. ?Plus the dark color helps hide any wrinkles you might get for sitting 12+ hours.

To this, I add a comfy cute top, flats, and a cardigan. ?I take off my flats during the flight and put on thick socks.

I also bring one of those facial cleansing cloths that you just need to add water to for the airplane/airport bathroom, so I can feel refreshed when we arrive and then apply a little makeup afterwards. ??

• I usually wear tracksuits for comfort-wear on flights.  But being that you're destination is Rome, I'd probably wear a stylish jersey or cotton sundress or something like that.

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
    image image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I always try to wear my most comfortable pair of pants.  I like to try to wear real pants as opposed to yoga pants or a tracksuit, just so that I look somewhat put together.  I would never wear jeans, though -- way too confining!  I've worn comfy khakis before.  I also always layer a lot.  I'll wear a spaghetti strap tank, then a short sleeved shirt, then a sweater.  That way I'm prepared no matter what temperature the airplane is.  I usually wear flip flops or other slip on shoes, but I always bring socks because planes get chilly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image kimnelson09:

I always wear trouser jeans, a fitted top and a sweater/jacket.  I don't mess with wearing shoes with socks because of all of the shoes off security measures.  I wear ballet flats or sandals.  If you want to pack socks in your carry on, that might be a good idea because feet tend to get cold on flights. 

Also, have you been to Europe before and were you planning on sightseeing the day that you arrive?  You might want to consider taking the first day easy.  Jet lag can be pretty awful.  I've done the transatlantic flight several times now and I still have to rest up on the first day.

I wore a black velour track suit on our flight to Rome last year.  We arrived at 8am, found our hotel, showered and headed out to sight see.  We were so excited to finally be there that we didn't have a problem w/ the jet lag and then slept really well that night. 

Fiona & Julia image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 23 mos. TTC, MFI, IUI #1&2 BFN, IVF #1 = BFP!!!