Money Matters

Aldi vs Trader joes?

Which do you find better? Never been to Trader Joes, I wanted to see it be a worth a trip to either of them, or just stick with Walmart. 

Re: Aldi vs Trader joes?

• I couldn't even begin to compair them.  They aren't the same types of store
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Aldi- sketchy dented cans

Trader Joes - not sketchy damaged products.  

• They aren't even comparable. Trader Joes is more like a casual, inexpensive Whole Foods. Lots of interesting products, organic, natural things. Some things are very cheap and some are not at all. Lots of wine and beer too.
  • Does Aldi sell organic products?

Aren't TJ's and Aldi owned by the same parent company?

• We buy dairy products at Aldi's because they're way cheaper. And that's it. I don't know about the rest of their food, it never looks fresh and it's always a really off, off brand.

I would totally shop at Trader Joe's if we had one close to us. Better produce, better quality all around.

• They are cheap for a lot of the same reasons, but what you'll find inside is totally different...I haven't been to Aldi in a long time, but I think Trader Joe's has more gourmet-type food and more organic stuff. Aldi is more your standard cereals, canned goods, etc. Trader Joe's is also set up to look nicer on the inside. At Aldi they just kind of take out the giant boxes that come off the trucks, and put them in the middle of the store (part of why its so cheap...not much labor costs).
  • Yes, they share corporate ownership (in fact, Aldi might just own TJ's).  Apparently Aldi is very different in Europe.  I think a lot of their newer stores in the States are nicer too ... if you haven't been to Aldi in awhile, you might want to give it a chance.
  • What I have found Aldi, fruits/vegs are never fresh.  We get them at the super market.  Seemed like a wasted trip last time I went.  I had the same issue with Price Rite.
  • you're talking apples & oranges IMO

Aldi is more no-name brand, ultra cheap and hit-or-miss.

TJ's is more health-centric with their own branding of foods and a lot of good variety.

Meet Beyonce Jr.

Call me Kat =^..^= Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image TheBeatGoesOn:

Does Aldi sell organic products?

Aren't TJ's and Aldi owned by the same parent company?

Yes- owned by same company. And it's German I think. And they have the same attitude towards Aldi there as many people do towards Walmart here (in terms of the whole not paying workers enough, driving out smaller businesses, etc.) 

• image WINO_Mom:

Aldi- sketchy dented cans

Trader Joes - not sketchy damaged products.  

Eh? Aldi's isn't a store for dented cans and damaged products.

Aldi has their own brand, and pretty much everything in their store is their own brand.  It's like buying Kroger's generic brand, or Wal-Mart's, or Targets....it's just a whole store of nothing but Aldi's very own off label staples. It's basics, as pp said...milk, cereal, oatmeal, flour, sugar, canned goods, crackers, etc. Not much organic there but they do have good prices.

• image tosababy:
    Yes, they share corporate ownership (in fact, Aldi might just own TJ's).  Apparently Aldi is very different in Europe.  I think a lot of their newer stores in the States are nicer too ... if you haven't been to Aldi in awhile, you might want to give it a chance.

This is true.  My MIL is from Germany and the Aldi in her town is quite nice.

• Disclaimer - I'm a major food snob. Trader Joe's is terriific - some great, creative, often inexpensve stuff. I went to Aldi's once and it really creeped me out. Ew.
  • Trader Joe's = organic food store.  Some prices are very nice but ultimately its a "novelty" kinda place if you will.  I, personally, would not be able to complete an entire food shop there.

Alid's = deep discount food mart.  They keep prices low with no frills.  The foods are generic store brand pretty much like you would find in your local food chain.  Some things are a little too off off in my opinion and I buy those elsewhere.  When I was young my mom shopped there when they first opened in our area.  It was a little too "cheap" then, but times have changed.  They have their own line of healthier food items called Fit & Active.  I've recently revisited them at a brand new store and find it a great way to save $ on groceries.  I can do about 75% of my food shopping there and then move on to another local family owned store for my deli meat.  But if you wanted, you could do your entire food shop there.  I have not found their produce to not be fresh.

• image BarefootContess:

image tosababy:
    Yes, they share corporate ownership (in fact, Aldi might just own TJ's).  Apparently Aldi is very different in Europe.  I think a lot of their newer stores in the States are nicer too ... if you haven't been to Aldi in awhile, you might want to give it a chance.

This is true.  My MIL is from Germany and the Aldi in her town is quite nice.

I don't know...I lived in Germany and only knew of Aldi to be European before I knew it was in the states, too. I thought it was kinda ghetto and really didn't shop there often...

Learning to start all over again... Blog