Trouble in Paradise

Are summer classes "easier" than regular classes?

In your experience?  Because my students are b!tching because this class is "too hard" for a summer course.  Uhhh, it's the same amount of credit hours as the regular course, but it's taught in only 5 weeks instead of 4 months - you really think it's going to be easier?  I thought it was common knowledge that summer classes were harder (?)  I'm not a freakin' magician. 

Seriously.  Like you get a free pass or something just for signing up for it in the summer.  UGH! 

Re: Are summer classes "easier" than regular classes?

• They were harder, because they were typically more condensed.

Kids these days...............

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • They are supposed to be harder, you're covering the same material in less amount of time.
  • Oh my effing god, NO.

Summer classes are so much harder than regular term ones.  They are way more intensive.  There's all the material, exams, and homework of a regular 4 or 8 month class done in a couple of weeks!  How can anyone expect it to be easier?!

I'm with you 100%, I also thought it was common knowledge that summer classes are way harder.  I find your students' attitudes on this quite strange.

• Mine are always harder. More information in a condensed time.

I love summer classes b/c I am more focused b/c it is such a fast pace. 

• I don't think they are easier. In my program, they are the same around of work, and since I would rather be outside in the sun, it is harder for me to concentrate on school.
    TTC#1 Lap #1 Jan 2009, Lap #2 April 2010, Lap #3 April 2011, Clomid cycle #1 Twin A&B born January 19th, 2012!

• I didn't do summer classes in undergrad, but my summer courses for my MS are harder than the semester classes, if that helps.
  • What kind of college do you teach at?

I graduated early, so I took lots of extra classes.  The reason I ask what kind of school you teach at is because when I took them at the local community college, they were soooo easy.  When I took them at the well-respected state school, they were tough.  If you teach at a lower-ranked institution, you may have students from other schools taking your class to transfer back to their school, assuming it will be easier at your college than at theirs.

Also, some profs would rather make the class easier so they don't have to deal with students questions during their office hours in the summertime.  It's not right, but it happens.

• I always thought that my summer classes were easier, but I learn better when I have a lot of pressure, and don't have to recall what I learned six weeks ago.

• Oh man, WAY harder in the summer.
  • FWIW I don't think students should walk into a summer class thinking it's easier just because it's only four weeks long. 
  • I took my summer classes at community college, so heck yes they were easier.

• IME, they were usually harder because so much material was crammed into a short time. Your students need to quit their b!tchin'!
  • image blissful_frenzy:

Mine are always harder. More information in a condensed time.

I love summer classes b/c I am more focused b/c it is such a fast pace. 

Yeah, the grades during my summer classes do tend to be higher overall, and I think this is why.

• image abarrett:

What kind of college do you teach at?

I graduated early, so I took lots of extra classes.  The reason I ask what kind of school you teach at is because when I took them at the local community college, they were soooo easy.  When I took them at the well-respected state school, they were tough.  If you teach at a lower-ranked institution, you may have students from other schools taking your class to transfer back to their school, assuming it will be easier at your college than at theirs.

Also, some profs would rather make the class easier so they don't have to deal with students questions during their office hours in the summertime.  It's not right, but it happens.

Oh that may be true.  I teach at a state school, and yeah, we do the same amount of stuff.  In fact, I even use the exact same exams.