Entertaining Ideas

Mom's 55th Golden birthday ideas

My mom's 55th birthday is next year and her birthday is 5/5/55! I know I've still got 10 months to plan, but I wondered if anyone had any cute ideas using the number 5? I want it to be classy, but still fun. I need food, decorating and invitation ideas. Thanks Ladies!

Re: Mom's 55th Golden birthday ideas

• Hmmm.  Trying to think of something cool that you can do with a number 5. (For some reason, I keep picturing a "5" birthday candle on a kids cake - ha!)

How about incorporate the 5/5/55 on the invites with a funky graphic design?  Then you can use that design through out the party.  Maybe a framed invite.  Or maybe tags on favors with the same 5/5/55? 

But for classy, how about keeping all the colors in the gold/ivory/bronze family?  Simple ivory flowers in a glass vases with gold ribbons?  

Or how about gold/ivory/pearl balloons?  You could probably find "5" balloons at party stores. 

Good luck.  Sounds like fun! 

• image TarHeels&Rebels:

Couple questions:

1. How many people?

2. Venue?

3. High, medium or low budget?

1. 50-75

2. Either my parents home or a room at their country club

3. Medium? <$2,000

• image GatorWedsNole:

Hmmm.  Trying to think of something cool that you can do with a number 5. (For some reason, I keep picturing a "5" birthday candle on a kids cake - ha!)

How about incorporate the 5/5/55 on the invites with a funky graphic design?  Then you can use that design through out the party.  Maybe a framed invite.  Or maybe tags on favors with the same 5/5/55? 

But for classy, how about keeping all the colors in the gold/ivory/bronze family?  Simple ivory flowers in a glass vases with gold ribbons?  

Or how about gold/ivory/pearl balloons?  You could probably find "5" balloons at party stores. 

Good luck.  Sounds like fun! 

When you said "gold/ivory/pearl" I thought of this from Martha Stewart.

OP - you could do these with the number 55 or with her birthdate instead of the photos if you wanted. 

Also, I think her birthdate is really cool and I understand wanting to capitalize on that, but I know that my mom wouldn't want her age on display.  You know your mom better than we do, obviously, but I'd feel her out about using it in decorations before you do anything.

• image kimnelson09:

Also, I think her birthdate is really cool and I understand wanting to capitalize on that, but I know that my mom wouldn't want her age on display.  You know your mom better than we do, obviously, but I'd feel her out about using it in decorations before you do anything.

I'd consider this too.  It's a cool coincidence but celebrating a birthday is one thing and celebrating an age is another.  And I'd be careful about centering around the number 5 too much.  Again, it's cool that it worked out that but 5's everywhere could get a little maddening. You could be a little more subtle by doing everything in groups of 5.  5 flower or 5 candle centerpieces and offer 5 different appetizers.  Or like pp said, make up a little emblem with 5's and use it in invitations and other places.  But pick elegant colors like the gold and ivory...5's everywhere in primary colors will look childish.

• image lsgarver:
    image kimnelson09:

I'd consider this too.  It's a cool coincidence but celebrating a birthday is one thing and celebrating an age is another.  And I'd be careful about centering around the number 5 too much.  Again, it's cool that it worked out that but 5's everywhere could get a little maddening. You could be a little more subtle by doing everything in groups of 5.  5 flower or 5 candle centerpieces and offer 5 different appetizers.  Or like pp said, make up a little emblem with 5's and use it in invitations and other places.  But pick elegant colors like the gold and ivory...5's everywhere in primary colors will look childish.

This is what I was wanting. Thanks! I definitely don't want balloons in the shape of 5's or foil 5's everywhere. I need to search for drink and appetizer recipes that have the word five in them. Thanks ladies! Keep the ideas coming!

• French 75

First thing that sprung to mind as far as drinks go.

• No party suggestions, but you could get her a bottle of Chanel No. 5!
  • We had a 5 (along w/ floral) theme for my mom's 50th a few years ago.  Here's some of the things I can remember- a dessert display w/ 5 different cakes & tarts, 5 spice nuts, 5 cheese mini macaroni, chicken & veggie skewers w/ five pieces on each, five flowers in each centerpiece.  My BIL designed invites and menus with 5 flowers on them.  Our family has a favorite punch recipe that we have no clue what it's called, but for the night we named it "5-star punch".   She loved all the little details!
    EDD: 6/28/12