Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

pet update and a ? - long

well - we took our kitty to the vet and got some bad news.  It's not an infection.  She is a manx kitty (has no tail) and a common problem with this breed is that their spines don't grow to completion and causes problems.  This has happened to her.  The nerves around where here spine should be at the end are not working or are impaired therefore she has no control over her urination (she's just leaking it out now)  She will be prone to bladder, kidney, and urinary tract infections forever and is going to need constant care - e.g. someone to squeeze her bladder hourly to insure there isn't backup.  She will also have lots of skin infections unless her fur is kept clean daily.  So - with my husband and I both being in school and working we won't be able to provide her with this care, we aren't home every hour. 

The vet (Dr. Hope - thanks to the nestie who recommended him - he was great!) recommended finding a home or animal sanctuary that could give her this care (this was before I even told him that we were both student, etc).  We called a lot of sanctuaries today and they are all at capacity.  We called an animal hospital that also adopts out pets and they said they would take her and give us another kitty (which I don't think I could do), but they would have to put her down. 

Does anyone know of any person or animal sanctuary that may take her and give her the attention she needs?  I would love to keep her, I've been crying almost constantly since I got home from the vet, but I know I can't give her the attention she needs and deserves. 

Re: pet update and a ? - long

• Aw, honey. I don't have any suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say I am so sorry.

• :( I'm so so sorry. You might want to post this over on the pets board, I've always gotten great advice from the girls over there.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that!  That is absolutely heart breaking.  I have no answers for you, but just wanted to let you know I sympathize with you.  Good luck.
  • Hi, I'm just a lurker around here, but your post caught my eye.? I have a soft spot it my heart for animals with special needs, especially cats :-)??

I think your best bet would be with a breed-specific rescue.? I googled "manx cat rescue" and came up with this website:?www.showcatsonline.com/cat_rescue_by_breed.htm

It looks like there is a manx rescue down in Texas, although your vet or you might have all ready contacted them.? Even if they don't have room for your kitty, they might know someone in the area that would be able to foster her until a spot opens up with a rescue.??

I'm so sorry that this has happened, but even though you might not be able to take care of her, I'm confident there is someone out there that has the time and is willing to do so!? Best of luck!
  • thank you, everyone for your kind words.  Steph- thank you, we will give them a call monday, that is wonderful. 

thanks again!

• I'm so glad you liked Dr. Hope! We started seeing him by chance because when my puppy was 9 weeks old, my mom stepped on her and broke 4 of her ribs. That vet clinic was the closest to my apartment, so that's where my mom took her. I'm sure Dr. Hope thinks we're crazy since my mom came busting in there balling her eyes out with this itty bitty puppy, but we've been seeing him ever since and love him.

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope that you're able to find a place where it can get the care it needs.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker