Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

anyone know this girl?

I was watching Oprah a couple of weeks ago and she hosted a woman (it was a re-run) who many years back was hit by a drunk driver in the Austin area.  She was physically changed forever and has many deformities today.  Her story is very inspiring and I want her book.  I was inspired watching her and it helped turn my pity me day into one of inspiration and motivation.. I want to know more about her and read her book, only I don't know her name. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Re: anyone know this girl?

• The only one I can think of is Jacqui, but I don't know of her book. http://www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm

(caution, the picture on the page can be disturbing)

• I saved an article from the Statesman many years ago to show to Abby when she's old enough. Basically, a visual on why you should never "Drink and Drive".  Death is abstract to most people, especially teens. To be able to show the damage you can do to another person by your own stupid actions is much more tangible.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Such a sad and horrific story.  Laura (one of the girls who was killed) was in one of my classes.  Our professor broke down when she told us of her death.  I'll never forget...so, so sad and tragic.  I can't imagine all that Jacqui has gone through.  The strength and courage she has had throughout is amazing.
    image image
  • this story gave me the chills, so sad.  :/
    [IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7trsf2k[/IMG]
    merry everything!
  • That's her! Thank you girls. I was hoping she had a book out.  I had seen her before on Oprah and was struck by her story but when I recently saw the re-run I was floored and beyond inspired.  Oprah asked her if she's depressed or something along those lines and she said that there's no room in her life for that. She's real about it, she cries every day but she took to heart advice her cousin gave her which was something like "allow yourself to cry, to feel sorry for yourself, but limit it to 5 minIutes a day, you only get 5 minutes and the rest of the day recognize your blessings and live the life you've been blesed to have".  I keep her in my mind and heart every day and think about those merely 5 minutes.  I think I'll write her and try to reach her. Truly inspiring.

Having worked in a burn unit (which I miss and wish I could again work in a burn unit) I know the beyond belief life long effects of burns so her prserverance on top of her optimistism are beyond inspirational.  Taytee, I think it's awesome that you've saved an article to share with your daughter in the future. Great idea!

• what is especially cool about this girl is how she has reached out to the guy who hit her.  He was a young kid doing something stupid and ruined his whole life.  They speak on drunk driving panels together.

The worst part of DWI is how it really is just someone being stupid.  I know most of us remember that one time we really shouldn't have been driving.  I prosecute that one time every day and it sucks.  DWI isn't a bad person but a bad decision that can ruin everything for everyone in a heart beat. 

Married October 28, 2006, TTC since March 2009 IUI #1-8 w/ clomid = BFN
    IVF # 1 May, 2011 = BFP!!! Stillbirth at 26 weeks (placental failure/severe IUGR)
    FET #1 February, 2012-- BFP! Beta #1=84 Beta #2= 207 Beta #3= 3,526 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Our Rainbow Baby is on the Way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image agran:

what is especially cool about this girl is how she has reached out to the guy who hit her.  He was a young kid doing something stupid and ruined his whole life.  They speak on drunk driving panels together.

The worst part of DWI is how it really is just someone being stupid.  I know most of us remember that one time we really shouldn't have been driving.  I prosecute that one time every day and it sucks.  DWI isn't a bad person but a bad decision that can ruin everything for everyone in a heart beat. 

In the ER we run across patients that slip through the cracks as far as alcohol involved motor vehicile accidents go. Either PD didn't notice at the scene or any number of factors and they get away with it (despite our best efforts). Anyway. I sometimes ask them "If I handed you a gun, would you be willing to play a game of Russian Roulette?" They're usually too ashamed to answer or say "No". I follow that up with "You played today and got away with it, but you will lose eventually".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers