Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pet lovers... isn't talking to your pets important!?!

I SWEAR I read somewhere that talking to your pets is really good for their health/well-being.  I was just teasing a friend of mine about talking to her dog... and she said she doesn't.  So I joked back that she should 'cause its "good" for them.  She thinks I'm joking... but I swear its true.  Tried googling for the study/article I read (long ago), but can't find it.

Am I crazy?

Andrew - Turns 3 on March 22!
[IMG]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/400236_2291129377746_1834353394_1470454_188576721_n.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Pet lovers... isn't talking to your pets important!?!

• If talking to plants helps make them grow....then talking to your pets has GOT to be "good" for them! Wink
  • I think you are only crazy if you expect them to answer back...?

• I don't know whether it's been proven to be good, but who doesn't talk to their pets??? Really?

She doesn't consider teaching her dog commands and using them "talking"?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How can it not be good for them?  It shows them attention, which they love, and makes them feel good.  I know if I just say my dogs name and look at him, his little tail starts wagging and he gets excited, but im one of those crazies that will talk to my dog all the time
  • image tonic:

I think you are only crazy if you expect them to answer back... 

LOL!

[IMG]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/400236_2291129377746_1834353394_1470454_188576721_n.jpg[/IMG]
  • I have full on conversations with my dog.  And I sing to her. :)
  • omg - its good for them AND for us!! :D

i love talking to my Daisy - she ALWAYS understands.

:)?

• ok, flame me if you will, but what kind of cold-hearted weirdo doesn't talk to their pet? Pets have brains, they learn commands, they get excited, they feel lonely, they feel pain, they are capable of as much as a toddler mentally speaking oftentimes. If I didn't talk to my dogs they would literally paw my face and 'talk' to ME and try to get me to pay more attention to them!
  • Funny there was a story on NPR recently where they apparently did a study about talking to plants. They discovered that when women talked to plants they grew more quickly/stronger, however when men spoke to them they didn't show much improvement.

I don't know about pets but I love talking to my cat.  He doesn't seem to mind and happens to like to talk back. :-)

• image SJBride05:
    I have full on conversations with my dog.  And I sing to her. :)

Please... we ALL know that Nacho is not a dog!  She's a lady!

• image DiamondWings:
    ok, flame me if you will, but what kind of cold-hearted weirdo doesn't talk to their pet? Pets have brains, they learn commands, they get excited, they feel lonely, they feel pain, they are capable of as much as a toddler mentally speaking oftentimes. If I didn't talk to my dogs they would literally paw my face and 'talk' to ME and try to get me to pay more attention to them!

She says that she calls him cute... and I'm sure she give him commands.  But when I started telling her that I ask my cat about his day (like... when he's been outside all day... I ask him if he had a good adventure... if he saw any friends out there... if he attacked any birdies, etc.)... she said she didn't know she should do that!  

• image k-haus:

Funny there was a story on NPR recently where they apparently did a study about talking to plants. They discovered that when women talked to plants they grew more quickly/stronger, however when men spoke to them they didn't show much improvement.

I don't know about pets but I love talking to my cat.  He doesn't seem to mind and happens to like to talk back. :-)

OMG - that's VERY interesting.  What show was that?

BTW, we had an SF lunch early last week... missed you!! 

• image My.ABC.Life:

image DiamondWings:
    ok, flame me if you will, but what kind of cold-hearted weirdo doesn't talk to their pet? Pets have brains, they learn commands, they get excited, they feel lonely, they feel pain, they are capable of as much as a toddler mentally speaking oftentimes. If I didn't talk to my dogs they would literally paw my face and 'talk' to ME and try to get me to pay more attention to them!

She says that she calls him cute... and I'm sure she give him commands.  But when I started telling her that I ask my cat about his day (like... when he's been outside all day... I ask him if he had a good adventure... if he saw any friends out there... if he attacked any birdies, etc.)... she said she didn't know she should do that!  

I bet she talks to him more than she maybe even realizes.  I can't imagine AT ALL not talking to my cats.  It's funny actually b/c they're often in the windows waiting for me when I get home and I'll start there -- "Hiiiii Cooooozy!!  Helllooo baby girl!  How was your day sweet kittie??"...from outside the house.  THe other day, I noticed our duplex neighbors window open.  haha.  But she has a dog so I'm sure it's all good!  haha :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image StefandTodd:
    I bet she talks to him more than she maybe even realizes.  I can't imagine AT ALL not talking to my cats.  It's funny actually b/c they're often in the windows waiting for me when I get home and I'll start there -- "Hiiiii Cooooozy!!  Helllooo baby girl!  How was your day sweet kittie??"...from outside the house.  THe other day, I noticed our duplex neighbors window open.  haha.  But she has a dog so I'm sure it's all good!  haha :)

I know huh.  And she lives alone.  If I lived alone... I'd talk to my cats even MORE.

• ok, i don't even have pets and i think talking to them is important. i talk to other people's pets, animals i see in nature...whatever. animals obviously respond to human voices, that's a pretty well-known fact...so how could it not be good for them? i think all creatures need communication in some way, it helps us all feel loved and needed.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • The idea of NOT talking to your pets is preposterous!!!!!!!! 

Just kidding, I won't take it that far.

But really...  I talk to Reggie constantly.  Shocker, I know.

• Yeah, we have conversations with Boba. She has an attitude!

John sings to her too when I get annoyed with his signing. 

IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1351.jpg
    ERD 01.16.11

Surviving postpartum depression & OCD one day at a time.
    Also experienced antenatal OCD.
    Feel free to ask me questions about my experience.
  • I talk to my cats all the time. Sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't. My cats also know their names, and many nicknames.
  • Talking and singing to my kitties is one of the reasons why DH calls me the Crazy Cat Lady. They like the attention. Smile
  • we talk to our jrts all the time .....  they're smart enough to realize the different tones when they do something good vs something bad.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• anneganneg member
    Ancient Membership
    we talk and sing to our pets.  drew makes up all kinds of little songs.  he  substitutes meow for words in "real" songs, which i call singing in meow.  he sings "oh susanna!" to our cat chiana, so it goes: oh chiana, won't you meow for me?  meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow."  he's also fond of singing stevie wonder songs to the cats entirely in meow.  he'd die if he knew i was telling you all this but i think it's super cute.
    great blasket island, co. kerry, ireland june 2011
  • From the AKC on being a responsible dog owner:

Talk to Your Dog Your dog won't understand your words, but he will enjoy the sound of your voice. Talking to your dog will make him feel involved. You can also use different voice levels to praise or correct your dog's behavior.

More information here.

I can't imagine NOT talking to my dog. She's such a good listener and all. Lol. Why is it we sing to animals? I NEVER sing and I would never sing in public but something about singing to my dog is so enjoyable. I mean, how could you not sing to this face: