Philadelphia Nesties

Holy Redeemer Maternity Center

Has anyone ever delivered at Holy Redeemer??

OB/GYN recs that are affiliated with this hospital??

I am in NE Philly and will also take any other recommendations for local hospitals that you have experience with.

TIA!

Re: Holy Redeemer Maternity Center

• Tam, HR's pretty far from you, isn't it?

I go to Kramer OB/GYN. They are on Huntington Pike and are affiliated with HR.

I had my son at Abington though so I have no idea how HR is but I've heard it's nice. 

• I'm delivering at Abington but have heard good things about HR too.
  • No kids of my own but my friend delivered there and had a great experience.  My GYN is affiliated with them Women's Care of Montgomery County.  They have an office on Central Ave right by Jeanes' Hospital 215-663-1500.
  • Tammy, where did you go the last time?  Why I you switching docs?  Am I being nosy?

I have been to HR once.  I refer to it as the Northeast Baby Factory.  It was like the 1950s there were so many baby up in it.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • Tam, Kramer OB/GYN has 2 offices:

7901 Bustleton Avenue Suite 100
    Philadelphia, PA

and

821 Huntingdon Pike # 140

Huntingdon Vly, PA 19006

The Philly one would be close for you.

• My sister delivered there and loved it.  I went to a doctor at Torresdale when DD was born.

We both go to Deeney and Associates now.  Love them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My coworker had an awful experience at HR when she delivered last October but that is the only thing I heard from there. Nothing but good about Abington.
  • Um, I was born at HR, so clearly it is the best

Tam, why are you switching?

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I had Andrew & Chase both at Temple. (scary, I know).

Honestly, the only reason I went there was because MIL's OB/GYN was there and he was/is FABULOUS. However, he & the doctor that I saw & delivered Andrew no longer deliver babies anymore. And that totally sucks. 

My care there during pregnancy is good. Because I work for Temple, I pay no co-pay's, a private room, and some other perks. But looking back, I was definitely NOT happy with how Andrew's delivery and after care went down and after thinking about it more, Chase's was a bit scary too. I am totally happy that I got to deliver vaginally and didn't have to have the "emergency" c-section that they swore I did, but my "emergency" was put on the back burner for 10+ hours and I was always "the next one".  Not to mention the c-section rate (looking back) was scary. They had about 15+ c-sections in that day alone. And the doctors kept pushing me to get drugs when I stated several times I didn't want them.

Oh, and did I ever mention that they "lost" Chase on the way from Labor & Delivery to the Maternity Ward? They checked him in and then couldn't find him!! The alarms went off and lockdown on the hospital and everything. Apparently, a nurse checked him in before he even got there.

Sooo....with this pregnancy, I have been seeing the Nurse Practitioner. I am going to meet with a new doctor at Temple towards the end of the month. However, she is only there 2 times a month. Every other Thursday. They have 1 permanent doctor in my practice that delivers babies and all the rest come and go between other practices.

Also, DH works at Temple Hospital and the things he tells me about care and the nurses and stuff, he would also rather me deliver else where.

Well, if you read this much so far, thanks. I am really torn on what to do. On one hand I have a great Nurse Practitioner who gives me u/s's whenever and is super awesome, but no doctor. On the other hand, I am scared about the delivery and post care again.

• That was a novel. Sorrrry. I have a lot on my mind.
  • image HeatherWain:

Tam, HR's pretty far from you, isn't it?

I go to Kramer OB/GYN. They are on Huntington Pike and are affiliated with HR.

I had my son at Abington though so I have no idea how HR is but I've heard it's nice. 

HR is apparently only 15 minutes from my house. Another hospital would be Frankford/Torresdale.

• FWIW, Abington is not very far from HR. I am very happy with the practice I am with right now (switched a few months ago), and they are affiliated with Abington, which was an important point for me when choosing a doctor.

I hope you find someone that you are comfortable with

image image

"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

• I would NOT go to Frankford/Torresdale.  That place is scary in terms of patient care.

I would definitely be having doubts about Temple from what you said.  It can't hurt to meet with a doc at HR.  My aunt worked there for years (she's now retired) which is why we always went there for everything.

That being said, I always hear good things about Abington and it's not much farther from you than HR.  I would check into both and see which one you get a better feeling about.

GL!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Abington is only 22 minutes away. That's not bad either.

I talked to DH some more and he thinks it would be best to switch too.

Now I am going to have to check out both and figure with one to go with (HR or Abington)

• FYI:  Frankford/Torresdale is no longer Frankford.  Also they shut down the Maternity Ward 3-4 years ago.
  • wow, good to know. It's a shame that they are closing so many Maternity wards. I wish Jeans was still open...
  • image jessica0602:
    No kids of my own but my friend delivered there and had a great experience.  My GYN is affiliated with them Women's Care of Montgomery County.  They have an office on Central Ave right by Jeanes' Hospital 215-663-1500.

this was my office.  Very nice there, but just way to far for me.

• Apparently, a frined works for 2 seperate OB/GYN offices that are affiliated with Abington and are awesome. I think I am going to meet with them and check it out.
  • i have no experience with either (AB or HR) but you know my choice of hospital to deliver is almost totally based on the nicu and the neonatology team. i know that AB has a very large and experienced level 3 nicu team, i know that HR nicu is much smaller and is staffed by chop docs (vs on HR on staff docs).  guess i really wasn't any help, huh, sorry i'm pretty worthless.
    image Ridin dirty
  • Abington is a really good hospital.

I don't think there are any materinty wards left in the NE, they have all closed.  It's either CC or the burbs.

• If you want the name of the practice I go to and a "new patient review", just PM me.
    image image

"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

• One of my coworkers just delivered at Abington two weeks ago and had a great experience while my other coworker delivered at HR about a year ago and had a great Dr and well done c-section but horrible experience otherwise. The assistance with breastfeeding was particularly sub par and discouraging but since this is not your first baby maybe you dont need as much information / help on that front.

• image kross605:
    One of my coworkers just delivered at Abington two weeks ago and had a great experience while my other coworker delivered at HR about a year ago and had a great Dr and well done c-section but horrible experience otherwise. The assistance with breastfeeding was particularly sub par and discouraging but since this is not your first baby maybe you dont need as much information / help on that front.

I acutally want a lot of BF'ing help. I didn't BF DS#1 and had no clue what I was doing and had to stop after 2 weeks with DS#2. I hope to be able to BF for much longer this time around.

• I debated between delivering at Abington or Bryn Mawr and I live in northern liberties.  I grew up in bucks county and anytime we ever needed to go to the hospital we always went to abington so I was partial to there anyway.  DH works at Bryn Mawr and has always said great things about it.  In the end we chose Abington.  Honestly, I never even considered Holy Redeemer.  IMO I feel that Abington is a better hospital overall with much more to offer on all fronts- so if I had a choice why would i pick the hospital that i feel is less qualified.

The ob/gyn I go to has like 6 offices- one is on oxford ave right before it turns into huntington pike and the other is up further on huntington pike.

• I see Deeney and Associates, in the Medical Office Building next to the hospital, have for years. ?I've always been happy with the care I've gotten there. ?I had DS there, and would not mind having a second there should we have one. ?The nursing staff there were awesome. ?Very responsive to my needs during labor, and even better during the after care. If you have specific questions, page me and I'll try to answer them.?

• I see Dr. Kramer on bustleton ave and I love him! He actually delivered me when I was born when he worked at Einstein early in his career! lol Kinda wierd I know but my mom loves him and a bunch of my docs left their practices and so I decided to try him.

Can you go to Abington to deliver a baby when your doc is affiliated with HR?

I like HR - my neurologist is there too but I never had a baby so I can't advise on that! lol

• Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions!

I talked to DH and while he would like to go to HR (only reasoning is because he knows where it is-LOL) he said it is totally up to me and what I am comfortable with. I talked to a friend and will be going to the OB/GYN office she works at and is affiliated with Abington. I still have to get more details and research, but I believe that is going to be where Baby#3 makes it's appearance.

• Hi Tammy. I go to Women's Healthcare Group on Oxford Ave.  They deliver at Abington.  I really like the practice except for one doctor, and the nurses at the hospital protected me from him amazingly well.  They knew I didn't want a c-section if it could be helped, and his m.o. is push pitocin and c-sections for everyone.  No bueno.

Anyway, I think we live in basically the same area (Mayfair-ish?) and we got to Abington in 20 minutes.  The bf help was fabulous, too.  Frankford doesn't deliver babies any more, our choices are either HR or Abington