Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

1 big crate or 2 small crates?

We adopted another Westie and we have one small crate that we're now  using to crate train him.

We're going to need either 1 more crate or 1 big crate for when we travel with the dogs and when we're staying somewhere else.

Would you recommend another small crate (so crate per dog) or a bigger crate for both of them to share?

BTW, our dogs get along great, even though he's only been with us for 3 days.

Me with my littlest.

Re: 1 big crate or 2 small crates?

• I would recommend another small crate. While our two dogs get along terrific, they like their own spaces.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our two dogs (a pom and a bassest/lab mix) refuse to be crated seperatly. The will wine until they are crated together. So after buying two seperate crates we ended up going back and buying one large one for the two of them. I dont know though if your dogs will want to be crated together or seperate, but only having to tote one crate while traveling has been easier.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image closapio:
    I would recommend another small crate. While our two dogs get along terrific, they like their own spaces.

This.  

If they get into a spat you are going to want them to have their own space.  

• We are crate-aholics.lol

When we have gone to visit my mom, (long visits), we have taken a mesh crate for them to ride in together (three pups) in the car, and for them to just hang out in, a hard crate for when we leave the house, and three wire crates for mealtimes.  And we have more crates at home.  And different ones for different dog shows (weather/location).

Now that we have four in the house, we are crating them together in pairs, except for the car, we have a Pet Tube car crate, that all four fit in comfortably.

Our pups get along remarkably well and curl up together in a 'puppy pile' all of the time.  I don't know many other dogs that get along as well, so I would say that it really depends on the temperament of the dogs.  I think you may need more time to figure that out though,there is often a 'honeymoon' period.

• dusk42dusk42 member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker
    Our dogs need to eat separately. ?I'd get two small ones for now, and if necessary, sell them later and get a big one.
  • image dusk42:
    Our dogs need to eat separately.  I'd get two small ones for now, and if necessary, sell them later and get a big one.

Ditto dusk.

My girls are almost always co crated, because they (especially my Border Collie) wouldn't have it any other way. It's a LARGE crate, and they're a special case of a VERY tightly bonded pair.

We do have two smaller crates as well... so they can be easily crated seperately in case of one of them being sick or mad at the other. No matter how much one may love their beloved, sometimes personal space is needed. (and my weim likes to sleep in her dark, cool, quiet, blanket filled crate from time to time)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers